New noise - NEED HELP.

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
nchopp
Car: 2007 BMW M6
2002 Infiniti Q45
2005 Infiniti QX56

Alright, the Maxima ('91 POS) started making a new noise yesterday. It sounds like it's coming from the front of the car, and it develops at about 35mph. It only happens under light acceleration or while coasting - when I brake or accelerate heavily it goes away. It sounds kind of like a relatively slow rotating noise, a light thumping. It's almost like the thump you get when you go over one of those construction patches, but not nearly as loud. Ideas?

DrewsBlackMax
Car: 1996 Maxima

It sounds like it might be your brake pads or rotors. My 96 did something like that till i changed the pads

nchopp
2002 Infiniti Q45
2005 Infiniti QX56

Did brakes a few weeks ago - front was fine. Wheel bearing or hub, maybe?

nchopp
2002 Infiniti Q45
2005 Infiniti QX56

Well, new girl (cazlee) wins the prize. She had said "Wheel lose, maybe?", which I didn't even think twice about. "Nah, couldn't be anything that simple." On the way to lunch (Culver's Chili Cheese Dog, mmm) I was thinking "Man, it DOES kind of sound like a wobbling noise." So once I got back to work, grabbed a screwdriver, popped off the hubcap - sure enough, 4 of the 5 lugs are frickin' finger loose. The ***holes at Sears that did my tires didn't bother to tighten them. Oh well. At least it wasn't something expensive.

cazlee
Car: Nissan 240SX and a grocery getter ( '95 Saturn SL1 )

Dude, seriously, raise cain.

It should NOT have been something that simple. They should NOT have neglected to check the lugs before allowing you to leave. That is a risk to life and limb at the shops liability. Don't let them push you around well you can't prove it. Yell at the tech that was doing your tires yourself if you have to, but by GOD don't let them off easy.

Rex
Car: None

WOW, even if I have someone else do work that requires the wheels to be off the car, I'll re-tighten/check tightness after a short (easy) drive.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”