New Member - Trunk release question

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
cansecokid
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL Sedan

Hello everyone, I am a new member to this forum since I just recently became the proud owner of an SL sedan (I know, I know...the sedan is unpopular).

I had a question regarding installing a trunk release. Since there is none inside the car, a key is necessary to open the trunk. Are there any after-market installations (is this even possible?) for a trunk release near the driver's seat?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

You shouldn't need a key to open the trunk. As long as all of the doors in the car are unlocked, you should just be able to press the trunk open button on the overhang over the license plate.

But there are no (known) remote release refit kits for the trunk.

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

NEVER apologize for owning a sedan!

There is no "auto-open" option on the Versa -- ya gotta do the work yourself (hard work it is, too). Hit the unlock button on the key fob twice (to unlock all the doors) and as EV says, walk over and press the open button.

This is one of the few things I don't like about the V: if you are carrying things you have to put them down in order to open the trunk [OK, I'm ready for them -- hit me with your snide comments].

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

frankohabs wrote:...walk over and press the open button...
Last week I had the tires rotated along with an oil change at a national oil change chain. My Versa came with wheel locks, and when he was done, the tech went to the back to put the "key" I had given him back in with the jack. He yanked at the hatch handle a couple of times and then, frustrated, walked around and laid the "key" on my armrest!

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

What does that tell you?

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

frankohabs wrote:What does that tell you?
#1 - They'd never seen a Versa before. #2 - I had a good laugh. #3 - Yeah, yeah. Usually I take it to my regular mechanic, but I was in a hurry. And if I tried to do it myself I wouldn't be laughing - I'd be swearing!

cansecokid
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL Sedan

Sheesh...I totally forgot about the trunk open button above the license plate

Shows you how much I know about my new Versa...

NewToVersa

So there is no way to open ther versa HATCH without the the key remote?

rwanttaja

NewToVersa wrote:So there is no way to open ther versa HATCH without the the key remote?
Depends on what you mean by "open." Some cars have a control that pops the hatch ajar. Versa doesn't have that. If you mean, "unlock," the power door lock button on the armrest will unlock the hatch.

So if you leave the driver's door unlocked when you park in your garage, you don't need the remote. Open the door, hit the unlock button, then go back and use the "open" button to unlatch the hatch then open it.

Ron

Return to “Versa General Chat”