New here - recently purchased a 720

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
busterone
Car: 1984 720 pickup
1994 Nissan Sentra

Three weeks ago I purchased a 1984 720 from a guy who had it sitting in the backyard for about 5 years. I got it for a great price and hauled it home as a long term project. I have been lurking this forum every day for the last three weeks soaking up all the info on this truck that I could get. You guys have some great info here, and it has helped me tremendously in getting this truck running again.
It is a base 720 with z24, no air conditioning, and a lot of surface rust. :biggrin: I spent the first few days draining and flushing the fuel tank, and fuel lines of the old nasty gas that was left in it. I changed the fuel filter and added a battery and it started right up! This is one tough engine I would say.

It ran but extremely rough and erratic. I used the info here to cap the vacuum ports with the exception of the vacuum advance and brake booster, changed the plugs and added some treatment to the fuel. It is running fantastic now. I was concerned that I may have to pull the carb and go through it, but it appears that won't be necessary. I did discover that my truck had the notorious fuel pump relay issue, so I replaced it and all is well for now. The clutch slave was bad, so I replaced it, now I have a clutch as well. The Front brakes will need some pads, but are working for now. All I have left is to repair the exhaust leak. There is a quarter sized hole in the pipe about 3 inches before it reached the muffler inlet.

All in all, this long term project has turned into a much shorter project than I originally expected. By the end of the week I plan to have it inspected and tagged so I can drive it around on some short trips to see how it does.

The body work and paint job will come later, so it is still a somewhat long term project.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed the info here on this forum. It saved me a lot of time and effort attempting to get this truck roadworthy. :)

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Welcome to Nico!

I love hearing stories about older Nissans and Datsuns being rescued. I hope you get many years of use out of her!

busterone
1994 Nissan Sentra

Thanks for the welcome. This is the first Datsun truck for me, but I have my eye on another that is parked not far from me. The owner hasn't driven it in several years, but I have no idea what kind of shape it is in either. I took a few pics of my 84, but haven't gotten them off the camera yet. I will post back later with a few pics of the before with all the surface rust. Hopefully in a few months I will have her painted and can post some after pics as well.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Looking forward to seeing her.

whawker
Car: 1984 Nissan 720 Pickup z24 engine

Hi Busterone,

I noticed you have an '84 720 with the Z24 engine, I just bought one recently as well. I posted a question in the forum, but not getting any replies... I'm wondering if you could help. Could you tell me what the make and model # is on your oil filter? Is it the smaller size, about 3" diameter and 4" long, or the larger size, about 3.66" diameter and 5 inches long? I need to replace mine, it's the smaller size on the engine now, but all the books at the auto stores seem to call for the larger size filter.

Thanks for your help,

Bill

busterone
1994 Nissan Sentra

I have the larger one on mine.

Return to “Datsun 720”