New g35 owner, already having idle and misfire issues! HELP

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Crazy_eyes69

Bought a 2004 5AT g35x sedan about two weeks ago. So far I've put about a thousand miles on it and loved it so far until last morning on my way to work i noticed what felt like a misfire. 10 minutes later its missing under throttle (feels really choppy when you get on the gas until about 4k rpms). Check engine light was flashing so I pulled into an autozone to check it out, only code I saw was a misfire in cylinder 5. So I removed the throttle body to clean it up and I noticed a lot of carbon build up so I sprayed that out with some cleaner. Then I noticed i can see light faintly around the bottom edge of the butterfly, is this normal?

Also does this sound like standard operating procedure given the symptoms of the car?

a. clean throttle body and do the idle adjust procedure

b. Switch coils around and see if the misfire follows the potentially bad coil

Thanks for any insight, I really need to get this running right myself because money is really tight at the moment!

:inout:

Crazy_eyes69

Also noticed the rubber coupler that connects directly to the throttle body was tearing around the lip that is on the throttle body, sprayed it with some carb cleaner and noticed no change in rpm as well. It's worth noting that the car lopes real hard now

Crazy_eyes69

I dont know if im going crazy but at idle it sounds like its knocking now

link to a video of it idling (https://youtu.be/BV8fW64ougw)

Josh_ortiz35
Car: 2003 Infiniti g35 sedan (automatic)

I have a similar problem but no check engine light

QCtech
Car: 2003 Pathfinder LE

Change your coils. That is mostly your problem in this situation.

DarkMan2555
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 5AT w/ 157k+ miles

Did you check the spark plug on cylinder #5? My 06 G35 sedan had the exact same error code for a misfire in cylinder #5. After I changed the spark plug, the misfire went away. Since the spark plug in cylinder #5 was badly worn, I changed all the other spark plugs and my car runs great now. A couple hundred miles later down the road I started having misfires in cylinder #5 again. Since I changed all the spark plugs, there's no way it could have been a bad brand new plug. My dad suggested that I change the cyl #5 ignition coil and that fixed my misfiring problem.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”