NEW catback systems! BRM Exhaust for 240sx

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

BRM is proud to introduce our full line of catback systems for the 240sx!

Construction - All systems are constructed of mandrel-bent, T-304 stainless steel (or aluminized mild steel) in 3", 2.5" and 2.25" diameter. BRM's systems are not "mass-produced" and are manufactured by hand. Our fabricators have over 100 years combined experience in custom exhaust design, and we recently sold our 700th catback for the S-chassis.

By the way, we're the exhaust of choice for one of the only 200whp naturally-aspirated KA cars: 200whp-naka-pump-gas-done-t547243.html

MIG welding is used for most welds, some TIG welding is utilized. Welds are cleaned up afterwards for a nicer, finished appearance.

Flanges are 3/8" billet pieces, whereas the competition uses thin, flimsy STAMPED STEEL flanges.

Muffler, resonator, catalytic converter, and tips are ALL Magnaflow units. We've found their stuff to be the best-suited to these applications.

Sound - BRM catbacks are designed for a non-ricey, throaty sound. Deep rumble at idle, and an aggressive, deep tone throughout the RPM range. Can't say much more here, except for NO RICE.

Appearance - BRM believes in maintaining a stock fitment and appearance, and as such, the flashiest thing you'll see is the chrome tips. No weird, unnecessary angled canisters or anything like that. Just clean, timeless style.

Tips - All systems are available with either a 4" single chrome tip or dual 2.5" beveled chrome tips (add $30).

Resonator - A resonator can be added to any system for $70. A 14", 18" or 22" resonator can be selected. Longer resonator = deeper tone. NOTE: 3" systems are ONLY available with the 14" resonator.

Fitment- Our system bolts up to the factory cat flanges and uses the factory hangars.

Catalytic Converter - A high-flow cat (any size) can be added to any system for $135, and can be purchased separately for $155. This is a direct bolt-in catalytic converter, in the stock length, complete with flanges and hardware.

Pricing - S13/S14 pricing (with resonator) is as follows:

2.25"aluminized $400, stainless $500

2.5" aluminized $400, stainless $500

3.0" aluminized $460, stainless $560

ADD $30 FOR DUAL TIPS.

Shipping (48 states) is $45. Shipping to Canada is $75.

Turnaround time is roughly 8 days. Sometimes we're faster!

Aluminized or Stainless - Which to choose? - Aluminized (not aluminum) tubing is a coated mild steel. It's basically what most auto manufacturers use for OEM systems. Not as resistant to corrosion and weighs about a half-pound more. Performance is identical.

Aluminized steel is great if you live in an arid climate and don't really worry about rust. If you live in an area with a lot of snow, rain, or near the ocean, stainless is a smarter choice. Stainless will not corrode and is guaranteed for as long as you own the car.

Contact and ordering - http://www.brmexhaust.com .

Note - BRM is incorporated along with NICO, and any profits from BRM go towards offsetting the enormous expense of keeping NICO up and running as the #1 Nissan/Infiniti resource on the web.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

What is a resonator, and do I need one?

A resonator is critical for a street-driven car. Here are some basic, layman's terms explanations:

There are 3 common ways to reduce sound in an exh system: Resonator (reflected waves), muffler (wave absorbtion and reflection) and silencer (reflected waves and restriction). BRM uses a resonator and a straight-through muffler on its systems for the S13 and S14.

Resonator is a straight-through chamber sized larger than the inlet / outlet, sometimes with baffles or slots (think old-school cherry bombs). Tuned properly (through placement, diameter, length, shape and location) it will actually cancel out certain frequencies as the sound waves collide, yet does not impede flow.

Muffler is a chamber with internal walls (think of a maze) that the gasses travel through. As the waves pass through, they are disrupted and "chopped up" and the sound is absorbed by the surrounding packing (think of an insulated room). Can be restrictive depending on design - if it's a straight-through design, it will not impact flow and actually makes very little impact on the sound (primarily "fine tunes" the exhaust note).

Silencer is a conical obstruction placed in the exhaust system which reflects sound waves back against themselves, cancelling certain frequencies, much like a resonator. But it also works by restricting the amount of flow, thereby reducing sound levels. May as well shove a potato in your tailpipe and bore a small hole in it.

What size should i get?The most commonly-asked question by far... Short answer - The KA and SR both function VERY well with 2.5" exhaust. Many will tell you that a turbo car needs a 3" exhaust to function properly, to which we say, NOPE.

Keep in mind that 2.5" is a significant increase in size over the stock system, and there are far less bends / restrictions in our system. Unless you're pushing 400+ hp, there's really no need for 3". However, we understand that some folks prefer a larger pipe diameter, so if that's what you want, then we'll build it for you!

PICS PICS PICS!!!

chandler
Car: 91 civic hb & 96 S14

I would also like to say that the customer service was outstanding, all my questions were answered in a ver timely fassion, and my shipment arived in a timely manner, If BRM made a turbo mani, or just a header, I would buy it from them also, I might be in the market for a three way cat soon , how much for a 2.5'' one of those?

chandler

oh yeah, my exhaust Rocks, I was next to this prelude on the highway, I heard his v-tec kick in as I was passing him, man it really sounds different when your leaving him behind and v-tec wont even help................ =)

those welds are beautiful, the fitment was great also, man I love it

chandler

chandler

the 2.5" sounds mean. just straight mean, not too loud, little louder than stock. just a little =). any ways it pulls a lot better and I get better fuel milage out of it, plus and double plus =) chandler

chandler

once again id like to say my exhaust is awesome, anyone in the charlotte area can come on by and see it and hear it in person if they like

xxtrizz
Car: Cars, computers

Oh my god that s13 dual tip is the greatest ever!!!! Wow im so excited by the look of it I most definitly will end up purchasing this exhaust system. WOW

GO GUYS this is great.

First I need my engine rebuild then wham im getting that exhaust system no doubt!!!

nissanrcer240
Car: Cars, Girls,Basketball

Man I wish I would have read this thread like 3 weeks ago, that dual tip catback for the s13 looks damm good. Anyone looking to buy a RS-R Exmag catback exhaust so I can get a BRM:)

morpheus78

nissanrcer240 wrote:Man I wish I would have read this thread like 3 weeks ago, that dual tip catback for the s13 looks damm good. Anyone looking to buy a RS-R Exmag catback exhaust so I can get a BRM:)

How Ironic...I just bought a BRM and I was looking for an RS-R before. LOL How do you like that RS-R anyway. Is it as quiet as they say??

navysnail
Car: 1990 240sx fastback

omg, greg it sounds soooo good, fit perfectly just like stock, its awsome man!!!!!

thanks a bunch

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

No, thank you. Appreciate the kind words...

NOW GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND GO DRIVING!!!!! :D

navysnail

just drove all over the town, sweet, definatly notice more pickup and acceleration, no loss of touque (2.25) and it doesnt even start to become what i would consider loud untill im at like 3.5k rpm, quiet for cruising. the tone is awsome, better than i imagined, i absolutely love it!!!

and, just like you said, no rice, in fact, its the opposite of rice, it is sweet, my friend with a 240 is very jealous (rightfully so)

if anyone here is thinking about getting one, get it, you wont regret it!!!!!!!

:D

edit: forgot to mention the quality of the welds and just the manufacturing in general is amazing. there all smooth and flush, no choppy welds like i do in auto class when we break a desk.

:D

as you can see im very happy right now

rousie13
Car: 2006 Nissan 350z Track Edition, 1997 Ford F250 4X4

I got home from work and there was a big box in my garage. I jumped out of the car and ran around yelling woo hoo. My buddy looked at me like i was ****in* nuts. I've only revved it a little bit, but as soon as I take a shower, me and the 240 are going for a cruise. It fit really well....only problem was I had to make the holes bigger on the gasket for the cat, but no biggie. I love the look of this. WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Wow thats some great feedback!

Just goes to show what can be done if someone sets out to do it right for our memebrs.

Great job Greg

Fred..:thumbup

Silvia D Rifter

w00t! Just got mine installed and test driven. :D Couldn't be happier. I too had to make the gasket holes a little bigger for the cat, handled easily with an old pair of scissors. Speaking of the gasket, when I pulled my old system off, there was barely any gasket left on the cat! Made me seriously wonder how much gas was leaking out. Anyway, the tone is exactly what I was looking for: A deep, understated rumble, quiet enough not to turn heads when crusing, but loud enough on acceleration to get attention.

There's a definate power increase around 4000 RPM, and keeps going till redline. Lower than that feels normal, but I went for the 2.5 In. system, since I plan on more mods in the future. The engine gains and loses revs easier now, making for better acceleration, and making those hard driving fast shifts easier.

Now that I have it installed, I really wish I would have put the BRM system and the stock one side by side for a comparison shot. The BRM eliminates so many of the harsh bends that the stock system has.

Great system, Greg!

morpheus78

Just got my header installed. It makes the sound of the BRM SO MUCH BETTER!!!! I cannot believe the difference it made...this thing sounds like a friggin 8 cyl stock. HOLY CRAP!! My mom wasnt too happy though LOL!!!

Only problems I had.... Couldnt get off the EGR, had to cut it off with a die grinder and use high heat tubing to make up for it. The stupid peeps at OBX engineered this thing so the steering knuckle hits really bad. Now I have to take it back off tomorrow and whack a dent in the side of it so it wont hit. FRIGGIN ANNOYING!!! DO yourself a favor and stick with the HOTSHOT.

navysnail

ive told everyone with a nissan and some without to get one, they all think it sounds soo good.........

FactoryStock
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX SE

Here's a pic of my BRM S13 cat back. It's a 2.25" SS w/resonator. It was a bit of a wait, but definitely worth it! The workmanship and overall quality is great.

It's pretty quiet at idle, but when I stomp on the accelerator, it puts out a really nice growl. It's probably obvious (wasn't to me), but the single tip requires the rear tow hook to be removed. I hacked mine off with a hacksaw.

Great job Greg and BRM!

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.net/photo ... user=13872

Chingon

The single tip looks better than I tought, not ricey or jdm angled.

Jookmasta

its good to hear all this positive feedback about the BRM. but only i can say that i was the first to have it. (evil laugh). any way for us to get the stickers to match our cars? and greg, keep pumping out those exhausts!!!!!!!!!

rousie13
Car: 2006 Nissan 350z Track Edition, 1997 Ford F250 4X4

Greg that whissle I had at high rpm's is now gone. It had to have been that the exhaust needed to brake in. The rattle from the back is also gone after I removed that tow hook. So all the problems I had are now fixed and Brett is one happy customer.

morpheus78

hybrid_flyer wrote:ok there may have been an answer to this question in one of the seven pages of posts, but I got tired of looking.

Will this exhaust system have any problems with the 95 db regulation??

California police like to harass anything with a modified exhaust and I really dont need the hassle.

Thanks for the info :ylsuper

I have had my exhaust for 3 weeks in NY and have not gotten a second look from the COPS. NY is pretty much just as strict as CA. Just make sure you get the resonator if you have headers. Without headers this exhaust was very quiet. If you want a live sound clip, contact me.

DAVE

240dreamer
Car: 95 240sx SE

got the exhaust today!!! looks great! thanks greg. i emailed you by the way... i love the low deep sound!!! just thought i'd let everyone know...

-Adam

240dreamer

i have a video with sound of my 95 with resonator but also a header...it's very quiet even with the header. email me if you want it. :) good luck on your decision!

-Adam

AZhitman
Administrator

Lady in Red - Actually, that one kind of surprises me - I haven't seen ours stick out that much on any other car. See pics of morpheus's S14.

Drifter - Have you seen pics of our twin-tip system for the S13? Very sweet-looking.

navysnail

yup, look in my sig for my pics of my dual tip system, it is sexy haha

navysnail

you can get a single tip too for the s13 (if im not mistaken)

i LOVE this exhaust, sounds so good, not loud, looks nice, etc...

AZhitman
Administrator

Glad you dig the sound! :)

Justin, thanks for the props - You guys are well worth it!

240dreamer

ANYONE who needs a video of the BRM exhaust...i now have the videos hosted on my brother's website...Once again, this is my car and has modifications that may effect the sound...check it out guys!!! :):)

http://www.midwestfbodymeet.com/adams240.html

-Adam

navysnail

the performance is noticeable, i have more pickup and throttle responce, and the engine drops revs quicker,

my old exhasut was falling apart, lol so i got this one and i love it

240dreamer

better flow is always a plus...:) i can't wait until next year when i get to dyno my car again!!! hehe...i definitely noticed some extra top end power...i recommend to anyone in the market for an exhaust! :)

-Adam

Return to “240sx General Discussion”