New, and I have g35 questions..

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
Justin428

I have a '12 VW Golf and I'm going to set it on fire. I fu@king hate it.

I'm shopping for a 06 g35 sedan, auto, non x (save weight and complexity). I'm sick of shifting gears. (I'm 33 and never had an auto before) 07+ are too expensive. I want to do the impossible and find one with less than 60k miles. Think this is possible?

I need to know what frequent issues to look for. Also, our roads here are complete sh#t. I need something that doesn't bounce all over the road like my Golf does. I plan on adding a backup camera, remote start, coupe midpipe, intake, and spacer. That's it.

Will it come stock with HIDs? I have an aftermarket kit if necessary.

Are the auto trans reliable?

Why a g35? Z's run in our family. Dad has a 06 and has had many before that. I want that engine but in a 4 door and with some luxury and refinement. I love the vq sound. My uncle has a g35 but he wont sell it to me. a**. :crazy:

Thanks for the help.

larsG35
Car: '04 G35 6MT sedan

Eh, it's not impossible to find an '06 with less than 60k, but it probably won't be inexpensive. here's an example

The G35 should come stock with HIDs and they are reliable cars in general. I have no personal experience with the AT, but I haven't heard anything bad about them.

I will say the ride is somewhat "stiff" in the G35 so it shouldn't bounce, but we're nearing the end of winter in Minnesota and there are a ton of potholes. Some of the really bad areas are borderline painful and I end up carefully steering around as many as I can.

As a testament to the long term reliability of these cars - bought mine @ 123,000 and have put another 10,500 on it.
I spent about an hour Saturday night on rural/dirt roads taking it near the "limit" (handling and powertrain) for the first time since I've owned it. Flawless as far as my passengers and I could tell.

Good luck on the car hunt,
Lars

If you're really planning to start your Golf on fire, I've got a beater I could trade you as a sacrifice maybe? :rotfl

Justin428

larsG35 wrote:Eh, it's not impossible to find an '06 with less than 60k, but it probably won't be inexpensive. here's an example

The G35 should come stock with HIDs and they are reliable cars in general. I have no personal experience with the AT, but I haven't heard anything bad about them.

I will say the ride is somewhat "stiff" in the G35 so it shouldn't bounce, but we're nearing the end of winter in Minnesota and there are a ton of potholes. Some of the really bad areas are borderline painful and I end up carefully steering around as many as I can.

As a testament to the long term reliability of these cars - bought mine @ 123,000 and have put another 10,500 on it.
I spent about an hour Saturday night on rural/dirt roads taking it near the "limit" (handling and powertrain) for the first time since I've owned it. Flawless as far as my passengers and I could tell.

Good luck on the car hunt,
Lars

If you're really planning to start your Golf on fire, I've got a beater I could trade you as a sacrifice maybe? :rotfl
I swear man I'll roll that mother f down off a cliff if I could! Its a pig for its size and the 5cyl is gutless, the clutch is made from a dixie paper plate, and the manual trans is garbage. Its a toaster, no wait, its a toaster that was made on a friday afternoon. Want to know what pisses me off? Having to race my car and red-line it to keep up with traffic that isnt even racing me!

Yeah, the miles.. I know thats a tall order. If I have to fly across the country I will. I just want to stay as far away from 100k miles as I can. At least while I'm still paying it off. You know?

I realize its on the firmer side of luxury, but it should be miles more gentile than my Golf, and TC before that. On this last question, I realize I'm seriously jumping the gun here, but is it hard to install the motorized nav screen? I'm sure mine wont come with it as I understand its pretty rare.

Gilley

If you want navigation you're going to be better off replacing the radio with a double DIN unit with navigation. You can't just add the factory navigation and plug it into the stock harness. The harnesses are different between navi cants and non navi cars. It can be done with a lot of schematic reading and wire hacking.

My 03 sedan has 172k on the motor and automatic tranny and it still runs strong. I replaced the valve cover gaskets and the spark plug gaskets (only on one side) 1300 miles ago and the top of the motor was still really clean.

Justin428

Gilley wrote:If you want navigation you're going to be better off replacing the radio with a double DIN unit with navigation. You can't just add the factory navigation and plug it into the stock harness. The harnesses are different between navi cants and non navi cars. It can be done with a lot of schematic reading and wire hacking.

My 03 sedan has 172k on the motor and automatic tranny and it still runs strong. I replaced the valve cover gaskets and the spark plug gaskets (only on one side) 1300 miles ago and the top of the motor was still really clean.

Regarding the mileage, thats great to hear. Really.

On the nav, that sucks. Guess thats one more criteria I'm going to have to keep in mind when shopping.

Is there a way to tell which g35's have nav just by looking? I mean like a package or version? Or could just any customer add it on when they bought it new?

thanks

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Like others have said, I would definitely not mess with factory nav. navigation from 2006 is going to leave a lot to be desired. You'll be a lot better going to a double DIN, or just skipping it and using your phone. It's one less thing to break.

Also, I would never overpay for low miles. If it's been well taken care of, 60k miles vs 100k miles is not that different, and I'd rather have a car that was more likely driven on the highway and whatnot.

Justin428

elwesso wrote:Like others have said, I would definitely not mess with factory nav. navigation from 2006 is going to leave a lot to be desired. You'll be a lot better going to a double DIN, or just skipping it and using your phone. It's one less thing to break.

Also, I would never overpay for low miles. If it's been well taken care of, 60k miles vs 100k miles is not that different, and I'd rather have a car that was more likely driven on the highway and whatnot.
Thanks. I don't so much want the built in nav for the nav but for the drop down screen for when I install a backup camera. I mean, that's what I had in mind anyway. I installed a double din unit in my dad's 350Z and wasn't all that impressed. It's so far low.

Gilley

Since you want the navi screen for the backup cam, you may be successful installing just the navi screen for the back up cam and foregoing the navi functionality. I have seen the factory screen used in conjunction with an aftermarket double din unit. But the factory screen does not have conventional video connections, so you're going to need to find schematics.

Gilley

An easy way to tell if a car has navi is to look for the controls above the AC controls.

Justin428

Gilley wrote:An easy way to tell if a car has navi is to look for the controls above the AC controls.

Hmm, sounds like it might be a little tough making my vision happen. Is the factory nav upgradeable? IE current with current maps?

** Also thanks for the help, Gilley. A lot of noobs are shat on by the locals. I'm recalling my hondatech and scionlife days. :nono:

Gilley

The factory maps are upgradable, but it's 10 year old technology. Here is the upgrade. http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERS ... EkuwsDsuO1

I'm happy to help everyone. Noobs included. We were all noobs at one time.

Justin428

Did the 2006 G35 sedan ever come with projector headlights? I CANNOT find a straight answer on this... grr

gwest210
Car: Honda

I'm new to the forum scene. I've been looking for a g35 sedan and possible mods such as wide body kits and such. Haven't had much luck so far. Also what are some issues with the cars?

Gilley

Justin428 wrote:Did the 2006 G35 sedan ever come with projector headlights? I CANNOT find a straight answer on this... grr
No. The 03-06 G sedans did not have projector headlights.

Justin428

Gilley wrote:
Justin428 wrote:Did the 2006 G35 sedan ever come with projector headlights? I CANNOT find a straight answer on this... grr
No. The 03-06 G sedans did not have projector headlights.
Hmm. Do the hids look ok? I have a hid kit in case my g doesn't come with. Kinda wondering about the light pattern.
Last edited by Justin428 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

gwest210 wrote:I'm new to the forum scene. I've been looking for a g35 sedan and possible mods such as wide body kits and such. Haven't had much luck so far. Also what are some issues with the cars?
Welcome to NICO. Please start a new thread with some of those questions. Also you might search around and see what you can find... :)

Gilley

Hmm. Do the hids look ok? I have a hid kit in case my g doesn't come with. Kinda wondering about the light pattern.[/quote]

All 04 and up sedans have HID lights. Most 03s have HID lights. There are a few early 03s that apparently had halogen lights, but I have never seen one. My 03 has HIDs.

The light pattern is fine with me.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

They are simply reflector-style headlights and they work fine. They just don't have the cutoff like projectors.

Justin428

Thanks Audatious.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Justin428 wrote:Thanks Audatious.
Louisville, huh. There are at least 4 of us NICO mods in your area.

Justin428

audtatious wrote:
Justin428 wrote:Thanks Audatious.
Louisville, huh. There are at least 4 of us NICO mods in your area.
Hmm weird. Used g35 prices seem to be higher here, at least at dealerships, than much of the rest of the country. :(

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”