Need to figure missing part- 92 Q45

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
green-psycho
Car: 1992 Infiniti Q45

Just bought a 92 Q45 at a auction for $260 cause it needed a fuel pump, as far as getting it running, not body. So I replaced it. Now the pumps humms and fuel pump fuse is good so I think it might be normal before gas fully goes through the pump and fuel lines. The car cranks but won't start, battery has been recharged.

The part that is missing I believe is causing it not to start. I don't have a picture but it's in the fuse box under the hood. It's located not with all the small fuses but in between two larges square fuses(100A and 120A) in a different section to the right. Looks like something goes there but its gone and so someone before I got it put a small wire there connecting both holes. Please help me, I need to get it running asap before I repair hood and rear window.

goody90q45
Car: 1992 Q45 (sold)

Is the fuse box drawing still on the inside of the removable fuse box cover? If so tell us which fuse is jumpered.

In the meantime, the engine may be flooded. After you've verified spark (unplugged coil with spark plug inserted) and fuel pressure (disconnect fuel filter outlet and crank engine), try holding the gas pedal to the floor (tells the ECU to cut off fuel) and cranking the engine continuously for up to a minute. Let us know what you find.

Welcome to NICO.

green-psycho

The top to the fuse box is missing, so no diagram, and manual 's been torn to shredds but I tried to search through what I could. I'm about to start doing what you said with the spark and fuel pressure. I don't know where the fuel filter oultet is located.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Many times it is worth paying $3-4,000 for a $500 vehicle if you can document all the value of replacement parts instead of buying a junker that needs $8,000 in parts to finally get it right.

People don't want to realize that an Imported Used ABUSED lux V8 [whether Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, or Mercedes] can easily need $10,000 [$6,000 in parts and $4,000 in professional labor].

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

You mean that $260 q45 is gonna cost thousands of dollars to return it to a reliable safe comfortable 17 year old automobile? Imagine that!!

"you can pay me now{purchase price} or pay me later{repair/ parts replacement cost}.......either way, your gonna pay!!!!

Never confuse price with cost.....a hard concept for many to understand!!!

green-psycho

True. But with the car costing me $260, fuel pump $75, hood $200, rear glass w/installation $160. And I say another $500 at most for the part thats missing, oil, brakes, spark plugs, and maybe some other minor things. I say that 92 q45 costing around $1200 is a good a** deal.

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

I do not believe you got a rear window for $160 installed. There is just no way unless your new glass has no antenna in it.

But if you look at the service manual you will find what your looking for: http://Nicoclub.com/FSM. And if you still can't find it I will take a picture of my engine bay fuse box cover. But honestly if your car' doesn't have even that cover it bring into question of how bad it was abused.

And the two above posters are correct in what there saying. So please get a Carfax and Infiniti Service History and make sure those chain guides are metal or you won't have a cheap and running car for long.
green-psycho wrote:And I say another $500 at most for the part thats missing, oil, brakes, spark plugs, and maybe some other minor things.
Is your car really missing these or are they just in need of replacing?

Welcome to NICO.

green-psycho

Yeah. Used window off another q45 with the antenna $100 install cost $60. Plugs and all that I just want to replace to feel better. The cars been through some though times. Weeds seeds and blunt wrap was found throughout it, even a bottle for embalming fluid. Past driver been wreckless. May have been in an accident, front end, or the hood just flew open on beltway. Now hood won't hood more than half way unless you get help by another person. Seats a little torn, not worried, and radio missing.

Link only goes to 94. It would help if I can get that photo.

Infinitiguy19

RUN AWAY, FAR AWAY FROM THE CAR. Seriously.

Your better off selling the car and starting new. But if you still want to keep it you should know that I once found some candy wrappers in my first 1991 Q45. Infact it was in a similar condition as your as far as it being in a possible front end accident and the radio brackets were missing.

But the 1994 Q45 manual is somewhat similar to the 1990-1993's Service manual. Sure Almost all of the electrical section is different but I think that they still kept the same fuse box configuration.

I have the engine bay fuse box cover for sale if you want it, but the pictures I have of it aren't close up. But you can go here to see almost everything i have for sale: http://picasaweb.google.com/pp...tlink.

green-psycho

If ya'll care to see the car. Here is a link to flickr. Plus a pic of my Firebird. http://www.flickr.com/photos/39635851@N02/?saved=1

Infinitiguy19

WOW that car is in really terrible shape, What made you want to buy it?

But I love the Firebird, I wanted to get a 88-89 GTA before I got the Q.

green-psycho

Resale. lol. Fix it up to running condition. replace hood and glass, put a bs stereo in it and maybe get $2000-2200 for it. With some patience maybe

Infinitiguy19

green-psycho wrote:Resale. lol. Fix it up to running condition. replace hood and glass, put a bs stereo in it and maybe get $2000-2200 for it. With some patience maybe

This commenmt is the nicest you will get I assure you. This car is'nt the best car for resale, Hell you might be lucky breaking even if there is a some one with half a brain interested it.

Your car needs AT LEAST 10K to get in near new running order. But to sell it off to some Joe Blow well just make the paint and interior shiny.

No offence but I feel really bad for the next person to buy the car from you.

No doubt you will use that money to restore the Firebird right?

green-psycho

I feel the some way for the next person, but I dont need it in near new condition which makes it worst. As for the Firebird of course, gotta put new floor in it to get it back on the road.(got the part)

green-psycho

The part that I'm trying to identify is location on page 10 on this link. Its between the two fuses to the right thats labled fusible link in the second diagram.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Q45/1994_Q45/el.pdf

Infinitiguy19

Here is the best picture I can find: " TARGET="_blank">http://picasaweb.google.com/lh...ink

Make sure the new owner gets on NICO, He is going to need us.

goody90q45

I don't mean to upstage you Paul but here's a little better picture of the fuse box label.

heywier427
Car: 91 Q45

how many miles are on the car???

do you know any history of it???

first thing you should do is a compression test. its veryvery very possible that this abused Q lost its timing chain guides.

if your walking into this car knowing noting about it, call the scrap yard and have them pick it up and take your losses now.

non of us mean to put your purchase or you down, but unless you love these cars like the rest of us retards, its a lost cause to you. nobodys going to buy it for what youve got into it already.

sorry dude but its just a reality check...

green-psycho

Ya'll are right about what I should do with this car. But I tend to be hard headed and see things to the end just to the end to be satisfied. Looking at some other Q's on this site with different style rims sport or luxury, even the one with the Mommo steering wheel. Makes me wanna kept for self cause the car can many good looks to it and look the best whichever way you wanna take it. Something I definately need to think about cause so far four people pretty much said junk it. great potential in this car

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

green-psycho wrote:great potential in this car
Only for someone who is dedicated to restoring it.

Denver90Q
Car: 1990 Q45 145K miles beige, 1995 Q45t green 80K miles , 1998 Frontier 140K miles black

Definitely expensive to keep on the road. Main problem is sourcing competent mechanic. Your better option would be to pay $3-$4K for a fully sorted out '94-95. But if you don't drive much, who knows, may become a collector's item in another 10 years when everyone is driving Prius' and most have been crushed. If that doesn't happen, you can always part it out to the few of us that might be left remaining.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Paul Wall wrote:WOW that car is in really terrible shape, What made you want to buy it?
I am betting the Firebird.

Have to be totally into restoration to want to drive those cars.

green-psycho

Of course, there nothing like takin a good lookin car and makin it look its best. When I seen this Q45 for sale and it just needed a fuel pump. For thought was resale and make big money off of it. NOT THE CASE. Seeing how much you guys love the model and different styles ya'll throwin at it just makes me want to do also, it looks good especially the sunroof. But the Bird is like my priority. Last time I actually drove and the road, tires marks everywhere for no reason.i just plan on getting a repair book from Pepboys or somewhere that has it and just dive right in. Motor cranks, so I'ma get it to start.

goody90q45

green-psycho wrote:Just bought a 92 Q45....The part that is missing I believe is causing it not to start. I don't have a picture but it's in the fuse box under the hood. It's located not with all the small fuses but in between two larges square fuses(100A and 120A) in a different section to the right. Looks like something goes there but its gone and so someone before I got it put a small wire there connecting both holes.
So back to your original question.....It looks like the spot between the two main fuses where your previous owner installed a jumper is supposed to be blank. Pic is off my 90Q base model.

green-psycho

HA HA HA DAMN IT!!!! The whole time I thought that was the problem, make me think why they put that wire their. Just to mess with me I guess. But thank you.

Now i just have to ask where is the fuel filter outlet and the coil on this car so I can unplug them(second post).

goody90q45

green-psycho wrote:.........Now i just have to ask where is the fuel filter outlet and the coil on this car so I can unplug them......
The fuel filter is the silver cannister on the right side of the pic I posted. The outlet hose is coming out the top.

I suggested disconnecting the outlet hose and cranking the engine but BE CAREFUL not to spray fuel everywhere. It would be safest to put another hose on the fuel filter outlet and run it into a bottle while someone else cranks the engine. This will only verify that the fuel pump is working at some pressure and not tell you the pressure is high enough to pull the beast up a hill. To check fuel pressure you'll need to tee in a pressure gauge.

The plugs/coils are under the long black cover adjacent to the fuel filter. It's easiest to remove the passenger side cover and then the front (#2) coil. Remove the coil and plug, reassemble outside the cylinder, crank the engine and see if it sparks to the engine block. If you have any amount of fuel pressure and spark the engine should at least start. There's many other things to check but this is a good start.

Have you held the pedal to the floor and turned over the engine for 30+ seconds to make sure it's not flooded? A compression check may give you low numbers if the engine has been flooded and the cylinder walls are washed. Any strange noises when you do this?

goody94q45 wrote:

green-psycho

Managed to get some time to work on the car again today. (Not to cause a sausage fest but HappyBirthday to myself, yes 19).

So i began with charging the battery. A few minutes in car cranks and started. So I quickly got into the driver(from passenger- cars to close to a fence) and started hitting the gas, low revs. Before reving, car shook- maybe the fan because I notice its missing to propellars. While reving i heard like a rusty-rough somewhat clanking sound, not sure what that is. Ran for another 15 secounds, then I cut it off. Tried to start it back up, nothing battery still needed some charging. 10 min. later, tried again and stock or non-stock alarm began chirping and a radio in the middle arm rest began buzzing.Tried to start motor and that radio began to stutter, motor did nothing. Alarm chirp two seperate times later and buzzing came the gas pump(where you put gas in), but trunk was closed so may have been the pump I changed. Still working on it, just wanted to get some suggested as I went along.

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

Trade it for a Schwinn....

green-psycho

qship96 wrote:Trade it for a Schwinn....
Don't even know what a Schinn is!!

But Huh, Not update really. Battery charger off and car alarm chirps when key is in, but car won't turn or anything when trying to start. Any ideas perhaps.

heywier427
Car: 91 Q45

glad to hear it started.

try locking then unlocking the car from the drivers side door.

good luck!

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”