Need some clarification about S14 Zenki->Kouki conversion

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
The Inflicted
Car: 1995 Nissan S14.5, 1992 Nissan 240SX Convertible

The front of my '95 240SX was wrecked and I'm looking into upgrade options as I repair it. I'm going to have to replace the hood, a fender, and a headlight, and the front bumper cover is have to be replaced or heavily re-shaped and patched.

Since all this stuff would have to be bought I figured now is the best time to go to a different front end, and since an S15 conversion is beyond what I can afford I'm leaning towards a Kouki conversion. I've done a lot of research into what's required so far, but I have some questions I haven't been able to find answers for yet:

1. What does the headlight bracket for the Kouki lights look like and is it something that can be easily fabricated? A picture would be very helpful since I can't find anyone online selling these things apart from big online OEM parts catalogues that don't even give out prices or pictures.

2. Is it absolutely necessary to change the front bumper cover when going to the Kouki lights? From what I can tell both lights sit parallel on the actual bumper and both the Zenki and Kouki fenders follow the bumper's lines around the front of the car under the corner lights. I actually prefer the look of the bumper from the Zenki and if I can use it I'd like to do that.

3. Does anyone know what happens when you try to paint a carbon fiber hood? It looks like the OEM steel hood for the Kouki is actually harder to come by than an aftermarket fiber part, but there's nothing more disgusting than a yellowing, fraying carbon hood. If it's possible, I would just want to paint the hood to match the rest of the car, maybe with a thin of enough coat to see the weave underneath.

4. I found through a google search a post that said that the connectors for the Kouki lights are different from the Zenki's- something about going from an H4 to an H1 connection. There was a link in the thread to webpage detailing what would be needed to make the modification but that link was broken.

5. How much more difficult are the vented eBay fenders to install than the OEM steel parts? I haven't been able to source any Kouki fenders locally (Nor any Zenki's in the side I need, for that matter) but if the cheap fiberglass fenders are going to be a royal pain to install I may just need to keep looking harder.

Thanks for your help.

coreansurfer
Car: painted s14

1. kouki headlights will bolt straight on to zenki headlight support, no mods needed, anyone who says otherwise is either full of ****, or has never done it themselves.

2. not sure about this one, i went with aftermarket.

3. as long as you prep the clear coat on the cf hood it should paint just like any other hood.

4. the high beams are the same, but low beams are different, i went and bought an hid kit, and just wired it in.

5. i would stick with oem, if you got in an accident because the metal with bend and be easier to fit just incase something was shifted or bent in your accient.

thefro526
Car: BMW 325Ci & S13 Coupe

If i were you I'd look at courtesyparts.com they have excellent catalogs with drawings and prices so you can better see parts differences

got chub
Car: pearl white 95 240sx

zenki bumper is different that kouki. the zenki has very small curves by the corner lights as the kouki is flat all the way across.

if you paint a CF hood it will look just like stock just get a good quality

the lights you can go to auto zone or advanced and they have a light adapter for many of today's lights. just about any thing you can think of

you take a chance with the fiberglass ones that don't fit right might end up taking more work to get to fit properly

hope that helps

BoBa524
Car: 1995 240SX SE

coreansurfer wrote:1. kouki headlights will bolt straight on to zenki headlight support, no mods needed, anyone who says otherwise is either full of ****, or has never done it themselves.
they don't. i did my conversion and i have one kouki headlight bracket and one zenki. you can make the zenki headlight brackets work only if you drill new holes.

coreansurfer

BoBa524 wrote:
they don't. i did my conversion and i have one kouki headlight bracket and one zenki. you can make the zenki headlight brackets work only if you drill new holes.
they do i did my own and just bolted up, without drilling any new holes or using a kouki bracket

hmmm i guess it works and you're just wrong.

leveloneae86

sorry for the old bump, but did you trim the zenki reinforcement bar? and also what are the headlights attached to? is it the fenders and the bracket?

coreansurfer

leveloneae86 wrote:sorry for the old bump, but did you trim the zenki reinforcement bar? and also what are the headlights attached to? is it the fenders and the bracket?
the bumper reinforcement had to be trimmed for fmicheadlights bolt to bracket and finders

lulu44321
Car: 1995 240sx se

that was good because i doing the same thing i recently bought a smashed s14 zenki good post

doubleohkevin
Car: 1995 coupe

anyone have any info on the corner lights? do the zenki bulbs and harnesses plug right in? And everyone says the headlight sockets can be changed over easily, but what exactly do you have to convert from/to? didn't mean to bring up an old thread but it seems like an unsolved mystery to me, plus i'm doing the conversion right now and i'd rather add on to a thread than start a new one.

BoBa524
Car: 1995 240SX SE

kouki lights use H1 bulbs and zenki uses h3/h4 or w/e bulbs. zenki lights act as both high and low beams and have 3 wires going to the driving bulb cuz it has dual filament bulbs and also a separate high beam bulb which is the same on both. a kouki driving bulb only functions as a driving bulb and uses only 2 wires. so the easiest way for you to go about it is get some HIDs. thats what i did. you will have to plug off the high beam wire. i got 100 dollar HIDs from ebay and havent had any problems for 2 years now.

assassin7420
Car: 1996 Nissan Silvia

1995 Nissan 240sx (daily)

BoBa524 wrote:kouki lights use H1 bulbs and zenki uses h3/h4 or w/e bulbs. zenki lights act as both high and low beams and have 3 wires going to the driving bulb cuz it has dual filament bulbs and also a separate high beam bulb which is the same on both. a kouki driving bulb only functions as a driving bulb and uses only 2 wires. so the easiest way for you to go about it is get some HIDs. thats what i did. you will have to plug off the high beam wire. i got 100 dollar HIDs from ebay and havent had any problems for 2 years now.
First, No..... Unless you want to swap to an HID projector that idea is stupid.

Second, Its only one wire you have to cut to make the kouki lights work with the zenki harness.

Also, The zenki and kouki headlight brackets ARE NOT THE SAME. 1 look at both headlights will tell you that.

doubleohkevin
Car: 1995 coupe

it's weird that for some people apparently the kouki headlights bolt right on and others say you need brackets... SO confusion, if anyone has pictures to describe the situation that would be awesome, I know i will be photographing it all the way.

speaking of the headlights... If i DO cut just that ONE wire to make the lowbeams work, won't that mean that I will not have high beams at all? unless i re-wire them seperately or something?

coreansurfer

they bolt right on to the zenki headlight bracket, there are pictures on this thread that i took.

assassin7420

..... Yes, The will bolt up but only one bolt. Not only that you are left with big ugly nasty gaps.

Take a look a the Zenki headlight,

Its a ****ty picture, But you can see the mounting tab on the headlight. Its at LEAST 4 inchs tall, The whole side of the light.

Now, Look at the Kouki light.If you look right at the top left of the light you can see its mount. Oh, And what do you know? It's only HALF the size of the zenki light.

I even went and did the conversion with the zenki brackets then the kouki brackets.

Here you can see the gaps under the headlights, A MAJOR eye sore.

Now, With the Kouki brackets.

ZOMG, NO MORE GAP!?!?! HOW COULD THIS BE!!! I mean, After all... They are the same....
doubleohkevin wrote:it's weird that for some people apparently the kouki headlights bolt right on and others say you need brackets... SO confusion, if anyone has pictures to describe the situation that would be awesome, I know i will be photographing it all the way.

speaking of the headlights... If i DO cut just that ONE wire to make the lowbeams work, won't that mean that I will not have high beams at all? unless i re-wire them seperately or something?
The Kouki lights only have 2 wires due to how the lights work. The Projector is the low beam, It turns off when you flip on your high's.

The Zenki's headlights all turn on when you flip the high's.

You simple take the extra wire and cut/cap it. I think its red wire with a stripe the you cut and cap. There's a write up that will tell you how to do it. It's VERY easy.

As far as needing HID's. NO, Hid's in a light housing/ projector that wasn't made for HID's are stupid, gay, And illegal. Just go get some Silver star bulbs from walmart. They are plenty good.
Modified by assassin7420 at 9:03 AM 10/16/2008

coreansurfer

looks like everything fits pretty damn good to me, this is without the kouki support by the way.

i don't know what you did wrong, but don't spread misinformation.

assassin7420

coreansurfer wrote:

looks like everything fits pretty damn good to me, this is without the kouki support by the way.

i don't know what you did wrong, but don't spread misinformation.
AWWW DID I JUST TAKE YOUR *** TO THE PWN SHOP?!

Yes I did, Go take a seat.

coreansurfer

yea, you sure showed me,except for the fact that my front fits perfectly with no gaps whatsoever.

viperbite
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx

probably because youre using some shizzy knockoff stuff.

or you looked at it and was like. wait ... *whack hammer bam* oh it fits now.

assassin7420

Have you looked at your hood? It hangs over your headlights. That would be a gap sir.

Face it, You're wrong. Just stop now before the hole gets deeper.

coreansurfer

yes, my pfrp cwest bumper is knock off.

think outside the box.

assassin7420

ZOMG, You said in your above posts that it was the exact same, And that it bolts right up.

Having to to drill new holes and use some haggard setup is not bolt up.

The brackets are NOT the same

The headlights will NOT bolt up

Even with holes drilled its always going to be a back yard hack job.

Do it the correct way or don't do it at all.

coreansurfer

assassin7420 wrote:ZOMG, You said in your above posts that it was the exact same, And that it bolts right up.Having to to drill new holes and use some haggard setup is not bolt up.The brackets are NOT the sameThe headlights will NOT bolt upEven with holes drilled its always going to be a back yard hack job.Do it the correct way or don't do it at all.
coreansurfer wrote:1. kouki headlights will bolt straight on to zenki headlight support, no mods needed, anyone who says otherwise is either full of ****, or has never done it themselves.
i never said it was the same, learn to read.you don't have to drill any holes. you use the ones that are already thereit does bolt right up, all you need it a 10mm bolt and nut

why don't you take your misplaced anger somewhere else.

assassin7420

.... For blaming people about misinformation you sure give out your fair share.

I guess you just don't get it. Look at the kouki and zenki brackets. You see that slot between the bolts? Good, Thats for a nub on the headlights. So unless you want to cut apart your brand new headlights that idea is full of fail.

If you want to use the Zenki brackets and be haggard this is the way you would do it.

Then use a nut and bolt for the top hole and it will never look right.

fresno240sx

thanks for the info.

coreansurfer

what is there not to get, i made it fit without using a kouki bracket, it fits great, looks stock, get over yourself. do your headlights look better than mine?nocould anybody have found out the difference had i not said anything?no

if you want to discuss this further feel free to email me.

assassin7420

coreansurfer wrote:1. kouki headlights will bolt straight on to zenki headlight support, no mods needed, anyone who says otherwise is either full of ****, or has never done it themselves..
Here you say, No mods and they bolt right up
coreansurfer wrote:they do i did my own and just bolted up, without drilling any new holes or using a kouki bracket
Again, No mods, No new holes drilled, Wile still using a Zenki bracket.
coreansurfer wrote:they bolt right on to the zenki headlight bracket, there are pictures on this thread that i took.
AND AGAIN, Bolt right up.
coreansurfer wrote:yes, my pfrp cwest bumper is knock off.

think outside the box.
Where does the nub for the headlight go then? Here i'll even show it to you.

There is NO WAY you can bolt Kouki headlights to a Zenki headlight bracket with out modification to the bracket or light.

The only reason you think you are gapless is due to that front bumper of yours. I bet money that if you went to an OEM your front body lines would be gappy.

mestizo

That "nub" is nothing more than a device to hold the light in place while the people who were putting it together at Nissan put bolts into it. I have seen the conversion done both ways, and without siding up with either of you it looked perfect in both cases. I have both Kouki and Zenki cars/brackets I'll measure them up tomorrow just so this back and forth stuff will stop.

coreansurfer

assassin7420 wrote:
The only reason you think you are gapless is due to that front bumper of yours. I bet money that if you went to an OEM your front body lines would be gappy.
there IS no gap, you can see it for yourself. OEM looks lame.

assassin7420

My whole point was that the brackets are not the same and they don't bolt up with no modification.

I even have a picture of them side by side, They are only 20 bucks. Why you would hack up new headlights vs spend 20 bucks is beyond me.
coreansurfer wrote:
there IS no gap, you can see it for yourself. OEM looks lame.
IMO, Stupid rice body kits are lame.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”