Need little FAQ

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
gyfer

Just bought my 90 240SX Fastback 6 hours ago.I have some knowledge on cars, both n/a or forced induction. I am going to turbo my KA24E... Few question here.

1. What is the selection for my turbo manifold ? Any site I can check it out ?2. How much PSI can the piston/rod safely hold ?3. I read KA24E comes with 260cc injectors. Where can I get a bigger one. Site ?4. Can Stock fuel system ( with FMU , FPR of course ) handle 8psi safely ?5. Does anyone know any good personal website that I can read ? Hope it have spec and information like, nut torque number, Engine Compression Ratio number, Gear Ratio, and etc.

I know I counld use a "seach" feature, but is midnight now.. my brain is not thinking. Hopefully some of you pro out there can help me up.

Nice to meet you all. Later.

-G"got boost?"

BinaryVertigo

in the upper right hand corner there is the 'home' button...to the left of that is the 'search' button

If you give a man a fish he'll be full for a day...if you teach him how to fish he'll be full for the rest of his life.

besides the search function you might want to try the FA forum's search function as well as commercial search engines like google and yahoo

-demitri

TrueSlide
Car: Stuff

Hmm I think they are legit questions, Ill answer all I can.

1. No one makes a manifold for the SOHC. You have to get a custom one made. And race shop should beable to do it.

2. Probley around 8-10

3. I want to know the same thing.

4. I would just buy a upgraded fuel pump. $130

5. http://www.overboost.com/fpimages/66.htm

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/240sx.htm

also sds did a 90 turbo 240. I think they had good results

I plan on doing the same thing, turbo my SOHC, Im aiming for a low-high 13s street car.

ADAMHU

it can be done :)

jrc90240sx

For the turbo manifold, try http://www.realnissan.comwould probably still need alot of custom pipeing, and its a cast iron manifold.

My head gasket is gone so i am going to be rebuilding my motor for my 90 240. I want to go 9.5 or even 10 compression, forged pistons and rods, metal head gasket, port and polish the head, balence the engine. i am going to be running NA for some time, and my total HP goals are only 250-300 rwhp.

I will post all the web sites i find along the way, and let you all know how it goes.

gyfer

in the upper right hand corner there is the 'home' button...to the left of that is the 'search' button -demitri

Really ?? I didn't see that !! ( DOH !!) :D

JRC,I read your post, and totally agree with you. Remain the stock 9.1 ( or 9.5) compression and go turbo. I am doing that :) In this case, we can cruise happily in town. ( while remaining stock drivability)

TrueSlide,Thank you for your info. That's helpful and glad to hear stock rod can handle up to 10psi. 10psi on stock KA24E... any hp number ? :icesangel I am trying to get 300crank hp too or maybe lower. I like the sds number : [email protected] , [email protected] and [email protected]. I hope with 8psi, 300hp can be reach. This car is going to be my daily driver and I don't want to break any rod at any moment. So low number hp, or 8psi will satisfied me.

Still a lot of question on fuel delivery. Any info on who had use a bigger injectors ( not those extra injectors at TB), with SAFC maybe? How about FMU, FPR ? I know fuel pump is a must. Is that $130 for Walpro 255 ?

I hate to see $395 for turbo manifold in our car. Hmmm... anyone tried to fabricate stock manifold to hold a turbo ?? I think I found a Mitsubishi T06H/17G turbo (? not sure yet)..... I seriouly a f*** turbo manifold. $400 for one..hmm... expensive.

If every right.. maybe I can get everything done, with Custom build Boost Ctrl, BOV, tiny Intercooller from 2gen Eclipse, FMU/FRU, bigger in-tank pump, manifold, turbo with built in wastegate, and etc for $1200. can I ? hmmm....:confused:

jrc90240sx

Well good luck on that price, but i think it could be done. there was another place that had a complet turbo kit for the 89-90 but i cant remember what it was. on the fuel stuff maybe give JWT a email, i know that running one of there reprogramed ECUs are explensive, but i think it would give the best street stability. you would need a new fuel pump, and bigger injectors, and some sort of fuel manigment, but luckly i am just rebuilding right know. so i dont have to worry about that stuff for another year.

gyfer

Thanks for the info again, jrc.

I am collecting and reseaching info on how to turbo a KA. Never did a turbo before, so I need extra preparation. Any personal experience you can share ?

:cool:

TrueSlide

Hey adam, what are you running in the 1/4? Have you tested it? Have you raced on streets? If you have what have you beat?

WAbernethy

If you're looking to do this for cheap like I am, check out http://www.iboost.com . I think their site is down right now but I'll give you the info. All of their manifolds are unfinished. Meaning, you need to have it welded together. For $140 you will get the main flange, a turbo flange of your choice, and some pipeing to go between the two. For $240 they will weld most of it for you (everything but the turbo flange, to allow for custom placement). It's a log style manifold, which would be fine for your setup.

I plan to have my setup complete for less than a grand and will be running 7 or 8 psi initially. I already have the turbo (CT26 from the single turbo Supras, 100 bucks on E-Bay), The manifold (The one I was describing before, 140 bucks), two I/C cores (will only use one, but they came as a pair, 55 bucks on E-Bay), some various hoses and fittings for oil and water supply (10 bucks, got most for free from work) and the outlet elbow for the turbo (Not sure if I can even use it, will need alot of modification, free, got lucky).

So I'm into it for like 300 bucks and I have most of the "big" things already. A friend of mine will do most of the welding, so that will only cost me beer. The fuel management area will be my largest expense. I'm going with an EIC and a high volume fuel pump. I've already spent a lot of time a the junkyard scoping out the parts I'll scavenge (I/C piping, raw metals for custom work and I've found some other goodies! 300Z brakes and rear diff. For 50 bucks you can walk out of there with whatever you can carry on Saturday). I'm getting a HKS bypass valve from http://www.overboost.com for like 60 bucks and will probably buy some gauges there too (Boost and Air/Fuel are a must). I'm sure there's a few things I'm forgetting.

Anyway, for less than a grand I will have a turbo setup in my 240. I'd like to see anyone do it for less.

If anyone wants an I/C core(2" thick x 3" x 16") flows though 16" side, let me know.

gyfer

WAbernethy, I WANT THE I/C core !!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Your plan sound great !! Right on my budget and what I am looking for ! ( Getting the unfinished manifold and weld it myself.) My friend just bought a welding system, it will cost me gas ( for welding) and some case ( not just few cans ) of beers for labor :cool:

What is the EIC ? I am worry about the stock injector wouldn't handle high Fuel pressure ( the injectors stay open ).

In working now. Will post more later !! :thumbup: ( found a mod buddy.. cool... :icesangel )

gyfer

oh wait... 2" x 3" x 16" ?? 3" tall ??

doctorj240
Car: Black s14 w/ redtop

That's a small intercooler. I hope you don't plan on running too much boost. Hey gyfer what year is your car? I'm up in Kirksville at Truman State right now. We actually have a bunch of people that travel everywhere to go race people. Check it out: http://www.mostreetracing.com

gyfer

hi doctorj240just got my 90 240sx fastback, waiting for inspection/licence...Currently driving Blue 93 Mazda MX6. A unusual 2.0 n/a ... ;)

WAbernethy,Will the $60 BOV work ?? ( is cheappp )Do you circulate the air back to motor or into atmosphere ?( BOV is after or before MAF )

Gyfer.

gyfer

Hi WAbernethy,Yeah, your $140 log style Turbo Manifold is what I need. Checking the website (http://www.iboost.com) but is still down. Any number I can call them ?? I need the manifold fast... dying for it. :D

I am trying to built a turbo in lowest cost as possbile. I found a T06 turbo off a Typhoon (truck) $250. I might use Eclipse intercooler ( freind offering cheap, maybe $30), the manifold you mention ( $140), EGT, Boost, Fuel gauge ( go for EGT instead of A/F. those thing never correct ! ), ( $50 each ?) Vortech/Cartech FMU ( $160) and etc...

Maybe Turbo system for $1000 or less could comes true .. heh ? :D

gyfer

WAbernethy,I am going to run the car in 5psi. After that I am going to built a Wide-Band 02 Sensor and do a proper tuning. Aiming at 10psi final on Primium Gas.

Try to find Mitsubishi Starion and scavenge the IC. Is the best IC you can find in any used car. Let me know if you do get one and willing to ship to me. I will pay you.

If you find any goody in the salvage yard, give us a shoot in this board. I make take it off from you hand

LAter.

WAbernethy

Oops! It's http://www.iboost.org not .com. My bad. Their site is under construction, whatever the funk that means, but you can still e-mail them from there.

I've heard good things about the starion I/C. Good luck finding one in a junkyard. They have them on E-Bay all the time but they usually don't go for cheap.

EGT gauges don't usually go for 50 bucks. Maybe 100 if you're lucky and then you have to buy the sensor, another 100 or more.

The Bypass valve in question is a HKS standard. Should be good for my low boost setup(7-8 psi). It's always upgradeable later. Yes, you would recirculate the air back in before the turbo but after the MAFS.

You'll never see 10 psi with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. Raising fuel pressure to flow more fuel through your stock injectors is an exponential function. Meaning, to double the flow, you'd need four times as much pressure as normal. Hope you have a fire extinguisher in your car.

An EIC or AIC allows you to add more fuel injectors, 1 or 2 just prior to the TB or one in each intake runner, that will inject extra fuel under boost. Short of larger injectors with ECU tuning, this is the best option. SDS makes the cheapest one I've seen so far. Greddy make a system called E-Manage. If you buy the extra harnesses and the software you can use it to control some extra injectors. Looks pretty sweet but it's not within my budget. Some other companies like HKS and Blitz also make these controllers. Like I said before, this is where I'm going to spend the most money. I don't want to half azz this part and wind up with a burnt up motor. The other stuff is no biggie. So what if my turbo takes a dump, it only cost me 100 bucks. It'll just be an excuse to buy a bigger one. At least my car will still run.

Yes I know that my I/C core is small, but it will do for a low boost setup like mine. It flows through the 16" side, so there will be very little pressure drop. As if that's not enough, I already have a water injection kit that will lower intake temps more than enough with this small of an I/C. Besides, you know how small the opening is in the front air dam. Maybe 4"? How much air is really going to flow over something that's up behind the bumper? We'll see, I may go with something larger later.

10psi is a lot. I hope you plan on lowering your compression ratio a little. Maybe a thicker head gasket or something. I'll probably do this too next spring/summer when I yank out my motor for a rebuild. Maybe then I'll consider upgrading to 10+ psi.

gyfer

5psi is just for stock injectors with raising fuel pressure regulator.

10psi is after I get larger injectors or extra 5th or 6th injectors like you do ( wasn't that dangerous ?? )

I know EGT cost more ... $50 is just a guess for all guages.

Can I install a Blow-Off Valve before MAF ??

I don't think I will upgrading piston/rod, nor lowering compression ratio. I believe that with proper tuning, high compression with decend psi boost can be done. I don't want to lost any street drivebality because of lowering the compression.

TrueSlide

You install the the blow off after the turbo before the throttle body. The blowoff valve releases pressure when the throttle body is closed, so all that air doesnt come back and screw your turbo up.

gyfer

I know what BOV for. :)

I wanted to know how is his setup. I dont' want to "bypass" back into intake, I want it to release into atmosphere and create "whoosshh" effect. ( or lounder effect ;) )

If I install BOV after MAF and release pressure into atmosphere, I will go too rich. Those air is "calculated" by ECU and should go back into intake, not Atmosphere. ( but this is not I want )

gyfer

Or my question is:

Can I install MAF between Throttle Body and Turbo ??

Usually you install the MAF before turbo ( before the air is spooled by turbo)

gyfer

checked out the SDS system. Cool stuff.

Does the SDS replace stock ECU ?? How about my cruise control, and etc ?

WAbernethy

I have heard of someone else doing that. You can try it. I am weary of doing that because those things are so damn sensitive as it is. I'd try to keep it as far away from the blow off valve as possible to prevent a disruption in the airflow through it. The airflow through it needs to be as smooth as possible, that's why it's mounted so close to the air filter.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”