Need help with 350 I inherited.

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Jrs350z
Car: 2003 350z.

New to the forum. My cousin passed away a couple months ago and left me his 2003 350z. It has 50,000k on it. Now I was told it has 500hp. But it has no turbos or super charger. I have no idea if there is any truth behind it. I only drove it for about ten minutes before putting it in storage for the winter. Does that seem unrealistic? I really know nothing about the car or the import scene but I figured this would b a good place to start. Things I do know is the brakes have been upgraded. Don't remember the name of them but the r cross drilled and slotted. They r a lot bigger then stock. It has Intake, exhaust and short shifter. He was a very wealthy guy and his friends say he dumped a ton of money in it but know one knows exactly what. All I could find out is that he did everything he could to handle big hp with no problems. Was told the only thing left that could b done to it is turbos. How would I go about finding what's all done to this car? I'm guessing if he claimed that much hp it must all b internal? Again I really don't know much about import cars and am looking to learn so any advice would b great. Thanks in advance.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Sorry to hear about your cousin, not a good way to get a Z.

Unless it's got a different engine from the stock Z engine it's not going to be putting out 500hp if it's running a turbo/supercharger. I suppose there's always nitrous, but that's a big shot to put on an engine, especially when the power would be much more reliable if it were tc/sc'ed.

I would start by talking to the people that told you about what had been done to it and maybe some of the people that your cousin knew. See if you can contact the shop(s) that did some of the work on the vehicle.

Since it's in storage for the winter you might start by just taking pics and posting them up. Detailed engine bay pics, pics of the wheels/tires/brakes, if you have a way to get underneath it you could take pics of the suspension as well. Some of the more keen-eyed members here might be able to spot some parts and whatnot. I'd also use the time you've got over the winter to research some local places that specialize in imports and maybe run it by them. You could even find a place that has a dyno and have them check it out. I would not let any of the shops know that you don't know exactly know what's been done to the car unless you absolutely trust them. I suppose you could have them check it out under the pretense of you wanting to buy the car but want to know all about it before you throw your cash down.

Once again, sorry for your loss. Let us know if we can help. Welcome to NICO! :badger

Jrs350z

Yes it's a very unfortanate circumstance. Thanks for the Info. Much appreciated. If wanted to bring it up to around 500hp what's should I do about preparing the motor and drive train to handle that? I would rather spend the money now then later. Want a reliable car. It only has 50,000k and if I go anywhere I am going to trailer it. Wanna keep it low k as long as possible. It's my momento to my lost brother.

veery
Car: 06 M35x Umbria Grey

If what you want is a reliable car, then forget the 500hp. You don't need it and souping it up will only make it more prone to problems. Stock - engine wise - it's still a real nice ride, and has plenty of power for your needs.

Jrs350z

It's getting suped up one way or another. I know it causes more wear and things will happen eventually. What I meant was what can I do so that every time I take it out it's not wrecked. Half a$$ed reliable is what I meant to say. My needs and wants r 2 different things. After driving a friends 458 most of the summer it just won't cut it the way it is. While I can afford $30,000 to put into it this summer I cannot afford $300,000. I know it's apples to oranges but this is all I got. So how does a guy go about building up everything to handle high hp?

Jrs350z

If u were in my shoes and wanted the oh where would u start?

Jrs350z

I'm not trying to b a race car driver by any means. Just want a weekend toy that accelerates like a monster. Will b doing suspension as well. Brakes r already done.

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

As BusyBadger said, photos needed to avoid recommending something that was already done. There are many add-ons available for these cars. Sounds like your cousin may have already visited these options.

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

The problem with the these cars is how sort of packed they seem, even in bone stock form. I wouldn't dismiss the 500hp claim.

A twin turbo system in a 350 or a 370 can be almost undetected to someone with a decent interest in cars.

Image'

As compared to a single turbo/supercharger or turbo in any other vehicle for that matter. Some other vehicles aren't as..subtle.

One dead give away is to see if you can spot a intercooler core "peeking" through the bumper.

fwiw, if i ever go boostin my intercooler would be anodized black asap.

Jrs350z

I know it isn't boosted but appreciate the advice. It's nice to get info on the matter at hand rather then info on what I need or don't need lol. U got any info on what should b done to prepare the motor for boost\big horsepower?

sx moneypit
Car: 2010 370Z
1986 Toyota MR2

Here is E-mail address for the man you need to talk to.
[email protected]

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Yeah, Jerry hasn't been on in a while. I knew he was moving but wasn't exactly sure when...must be now! :)

Jrs350z

Much appreciated guys. I'll c if I can't get in touch with him and get a list of what needs to b done and c what already is done. Would b nice to get some jam in it. Grew up on muscle cars but I really like this one and I know my cousin would have liked to c it come to it's full potential. Live in a small town and there is no serious tuners here. All muscle. Would b nice to rep something different. Thanks again.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”