Need a little advice...

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
NissanRN
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima

Brace yourselves gentlemen....this is such a girl question....& that would be b/c I'm a girl.

My boyfriend has 300zx twin turbo. It's his baby & I'm pretty sure he likes it more than he likes me (some days) His birthday & Christmas are coming and I'd like any & all ideas of what would be good presents. I've never dated a car enthusiast so this is new shopping territory for me. :ohno:

Thanks in advance for any help!

300ZXttZMAN
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo 5 spd pearl white.

My Daily: 2008 Frontier NISMO package, 4x4 Crew Cab.

Ok thats awesome this will be fun! Here is what you should do sneak and take some pictures of the car and post them here so that we can look at them and see what he is missing or needing ect.. Also it wouldnt hurt to ask his friends what he talks about getting..

But most importantly what is your budget??

EDIT: An easy one will be his tailights are they:
RED on top and AMBER on bottom
OR
RED on top and CLEAR on bottom

marty1mc
Car: 1990 300zx TT - Z owner since 2003

There are tons of things you can buy him.
Exterior
99 Jspec tails - white on bottom as mentioned by 300zxttzman - $350-400
99 Jspec front fascia (bumper) - $450 (plus needs painted)
Exterior trim - door moldings, t-top moldings, window moldings - $400

Tires and wheels - talk to him about those, everyone is different

Interior -
Leather seat covers - $350
+ Interior panels - another $50
Leather wrapped steering wheel - $165 (have to send the wheel) to $350
Leather shifter - $65
Leather brake handles - $50

Stereo system ? Lots of dollars depending how nice you want it...

Go fast goodies -

Aftermarket Intercoolers - $700
2.5" piping plus intercoolers - $1800

Basically, pick your number that you want to spend and we can steer you in the right direction. However, make sure he doesn't have this stuff first. We can also help you ask questions so you don't look like your digging! :)

NissanRN

I'll try to get some pics this weekend. Don't want to put too many out there b/c I think he may be on this forum occasionally & I don't want to spoil the surprise. I know that he has just replaced his tail lights in the past year & went to the red/clear version. He also has new turn signal lights (clear) but has not installed them yet. He got new HID headlights, but doesn't have the high beams yet (at least I think that's what he said).

Budget....as of right now there is no budget. I just want to make sure I get him a great gift. Budget may come into play as I get suggestions.

Thanks!

300ZXttZMAN

Ok cool deal damn its a shame he already got the 99 j-spec tail lights (thats what the red and clear tailights are called)
^^ Would have been real easy.

Let us know.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Why can't I find a girl able to do research like this?

DanDrath
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx 2+2 Twin Turbo

sellin dual maf translator would be good too, or a 300zx rear glow panel. re-wrapped steering wheel. some oem mats

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

You don't want HID high beams. Waste of money and high beams are not designed to be used with HIDs.

IMHO, a great gift for him would be the ZSpeed Shifter bracket and HD throwout fork.

I'll make it easy for ya and throw you some links ;)

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/300zx- ... SP1005.htm

That, plus this:

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/90-96- ... SP1007.htm

Would be an awesome gift. My wife gave them to me for my first father's day, and I'm finally installing them next weekend. Makes a world of difference in the way the car shifts.

The Selin people are talking about is this thing:

https://specialtyz.com/shop/selin-desig ... w-kit.html

You'd need to get it with the elbow kit, and the used (working) second MAF, totaling $504.90.
DanDrath wrote:sellin dual maf translator would be good too, or a 300zx rear glow panel. re-wrapped steering wheel. some oem mats
The OEM mats are no longer available in black, and the Z1 replicas are all that's available. Unless you find a set on eBay or something for 2x the original cost.

NissanRN

NolimitZ32 wrote:Why can't I find a girl able to do research like this?
I think maybe I'll take that as a compliment.

Thank you BigTDogg for all the links! Good idea on the shifter. I was actually looking at that the other day when I was in the car & thought Hmmmm I wonder if he wants a new one. I may have to feel him out some way on that one.

I did have another thought about things to look at. His old motor "blew up" (technical girl speak for I don't really know what happened to it). I have heard him recently talk about plans to rebuild the old one & then put it back in the car. He doesn't like the replacement motor he put in the car as much. I know motor stuff can get expensive, but are there any things I could look into for that project? Or would that be a little to brand specific?

NolimitZ32

Ooooh, I think I might know who it is if he's on this forum :D and yes it was a compliment.

As for the engine, you'd have to know what exactly "blew up" for us to be able to tell you what he needs, and most of the internal parts require sizing and measuring, basically it'll be hard for you to quiz him about it and not spoil the surprise. One thing for the engine would be a full Nissan gasket/seal kit, not flashy or pretty but costs enough to put a dent in a build budget and definitely needed on these old car. As 300zxTTMan said, give us a supposed budget and we will be better able to tell you whats out there. Everything that has been listed so far and I think everyone will agree have been great suggestions.

BigTDogg (MA)

NolimitZ32 wrote:As 300zxTTMan said, give us a supposed budget and we will be better able to tell you whats out there.
Agreed. I mean, if you want him to love you forever I'd go with an IPP Stage 5 longblock, MSP manis, EXP-90 turbos and call it a day. But that'll set you back around $10K :eek:

NolimitZ32

BigTDogg (MA) wrote: Agreed. I mean, if you want him to love you forever I'd go with an IPP Stage 5 longblock, MSP manis, EXP-90 turbos and call it a day. But that'll set you back around $10K :eek:
:greg:

BigTDogg (MA)

NissanRN wrote:
NolimitZ32 wrote:Why can't I find a girl able to do research like this?

Thank you BigTDogg for all the links! Good idea on the shifter. I was actually looking at that the other day when I was in the car & thought Hmmmm I wonder if he wants a new one. I may have to feel him out some way on that one.
That, coupled with a JDM shift knob would be a great gift, IMHO. Or a new OEM shift knob:

http://www.importpartspro.com/ni30oemshkn.html

you can also email import parts pro and ask if they can order the JDM knob. Same as the original one with red stitching. Again, IMHO, don't get anything other than those two, because chances are they wouldn't be weighted properly, thereby making shifting more difficult.

NissanRN

OK. The "Love me forever package" is definitely out of the budget! How about $200-300 for birthday & at least that much maybe a little more for Christmas. I figured motor stuff might be hard since I don't know specifics. Maybe I'll wait on that until he actually starts working on it & that could always be a Valentine's present. Keep the ideas coming!

300ZXttZMAN

BigTDogg (MA) wrote:
NolimitZ32 wrote:As 300zxTTMan said, give us a supposed budget and we will be better able to tell you whats out there.
Agreed. I mean, if you want him to love you forever I'd go with an IPP Stage 5 longblock, MSP manis, EXP-90 turbos and call it a day. But that'll set you back around $10K :eek:

:yesnod HE better put a ring on that finger!!!

300ZXttZMAN

NolimitZ32 wrote:Ooooh, I think I might know who it is if he's on this forum :D and yes it was a compliment.

As for the engine, you'd have to know what exactly "blew up" for us to be able to tell you what he needs, and most of the internal parts require sizing and measuring, basically it'll be hard for you to quiz him about it and not spoil the surprise. One thing for the engine would be a full Nissan gasket/seal kit, not flashy or pretty but costs enough to put a dent in a build budget and definitely needed on these old car. As 300zxTTMan said, give us a supposed budget and we will be better able to tell you whats out there. Everything that has been listed so far and I think everyone will agree have been great suggestions.
Yes it was a compliment i agree completely

300ZXttZMAN

NissanRN wrote: OK. The "Love me forever package" is definitely out of the budget! How about $200-300 for birthday & at least that much maybe a little more for Christmas. I figured motor stuff might be hard since I don't know specifics. Maybe I'll wait on that until he actually starts working on it & that could always be a Valentine's present. Keep the ideas coming!

Now that you have listed a budget be prepared to be loved forever we are going to set you up right!!! He is going to be like wtf how did you know thats something I want!!! Please have one of your friends video his reaction I would love to see the reaction...

I cant imagine what I would do if I had a girlfriend and she gave me a gift and i would start opening it thinking it was clothes ya know... But if i open it and see some brand new J-spec's MY MOUTH WOULD DROP!!! I may even pass out! Who knows.. Possibly cry tears of joy! HONEYMOON SUITE HERE WE COME!! :rotfl

You really need to try and sneak some pictures then PRIVATE MESSAGE one of us (Ill volunteer to be the message boy) I will share it with the ppl that commented on the thread.. ALSO in the pm (pm private message) say his screen name (if you know it, if you dont then that will be alright we will limit the ideas to like the first 5 ppl that replied in this thread) that way he doesnt get the message that would suck if he saw his own car :facepalm: but we wont let it happen... :dblthumb:

FIgure out his screen name!!!

NissanRN

Ok, need a little car speak lesson....

OEM?
JDM?

Huh?? :confused:

NissanRN

NolimitZ32 wrote: One thing for the engine would be a full Nissan gasket/seal kit, not flashy or pretty but costs enough to put a dent in a build budget and definitely needed on these old car.

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.z1motorsports.com/product_in ... cts_id=505

DanDrath
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx 2+2 Twin Turbo

300ZXttZMAN wrote: I cant imagine what I would do if I had a girlfriend and she gave me a gift and i would start opening it thinking it was clothes ya know... But if i open it and see some brand new J-spec's MY MOUTH WOULD DROP!!! I may even pass out! Who knows.. Possibly cry tears of joy! HONEYMOON SUITE HERE WE COME!! :rotfl
Yes exactly, pretty sure my g.f plans on getting me something z realted for christmas(keeper), by the way mark, i got that part, i have brake lights again :).
(sorry for the thread jack)

yes thats the full gasket rebuild set we are talking about

BigTDogg (MA)

If you PM me his email address I can figure out his SN, and get more info on his car for you :)

BigTDogg (MA)

NissanRN wrote:Ok, need a little car speak lesson....

OEM?
JDM?

Huh?? :confused:
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. This is a part made by or explicitly for Nissan.
JDM = Japanese Domestic Market. These are parts made by or for Nissan only originally offered in Japan.

:dblthumb:

NissanRN

BigTDogg (MA) wrote:
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. This is a part made by or explicitly for Nissan.
JDM = Japanese Domestic Market. These are parts made by or for Nissan only originally offered in Japan.

:dblthumb:
Thank you! :wavey:

VigorousZX
Car: 1990 na 300zx

If your really sure your boyfriends into Z's for the long haul, I would say get a new engine harness if he doesnt have one already... maybe you could ask one of his friends to check if you go down this route

This wire 'harness" gets corroded at the plugs overtime and can cause some headaches as to what the problems is if it disrupts the cars performance.

oooor, you can get him a custom kit for both of you to enjoy Image

-------------
A Photo Guide to the Z32 300ZX Parts
http://www.z32photoguide.com/

BigTDogg (MA)

VigorousZX wrote:If your really sure your boyfriends into Z's for the long haul, I would say get a new engine harness if he doesnt have one already...
Quite possibly the smartest goddamn thing you've ever said on this forum, impressive! :bigthumb:

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

+1, I'm shocked

Chattzx
Car: 90 Z32

BigTDogg (MA) wrote:
VigorousZX wrote:If your really sure your boyfriends into Z's for the long haul, I would say get a new engine harness if he doesnt have one already...
Quite possibly the smartest goddamn thing you've ever said on this forum, impressive! :bigthumb:
I had to read it a couple of times to make sure I was not losing my mind haha.

Mr93z32
Car: 1993 Nissan 300zx 2+2

LMFAO! Man, Vig no disrespect or anything but jeez, lmao everytime you magically pop out, and the comments people make always make me laugh! lmao

Hmm, things i would love my woman to get me, Shall i make a list....

Well, any suspension piece would do quite nicely, such as....

Front and Rear upper control arms,

Coilovers,

Hicas elimination bar, (if its TT)

Etc. Etc..

Another very nice thing i would love is the sexy mission lip/spoiler...

You can find all this info all in one page...

http://www.powertrix.com/z32.htm

Hope this helps

Mr93z32
Car: 1993 Nissan 300zx 2+2

Heres some piks of the mission lip

:bigthumb: Good luck :biggrin:

Chattzx
Car: 90 Z32

+1 on the mission spoiler, I love mine.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”