Navigation system (firmware update)

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
JRC
Car: 2009 Ex35 AWD

Hello everyone,

I own an 2009 EX35 AWD w/navigation

I know there are updates available for maps.
But I'm wondering is there are any firmware updates for the Nav system?

Thanks

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

This is the best answer I can come up with...

>>> post5691117.html <<<

You could also call Customer Service, at 1-800-777-0325.

JRC

I tried the number but they are closed today.
I will call again tomorrow and post their reply.

Thanks!

JRC

Hello,

I did call. The updates are for maps, points of interests and so on....
Nothing to do with the firmware update.

inteller
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

I ask every time. I find it extremely hard to believe that there are no firmware updates for the nav system, no device is that perfect. I have a sneaking suspicion that any firmware updates are delivered along with any nav updates you purchase which i REFUSE to pay someone to push a button and apply a downloaded file. Thats the only good thing I can say about my Volvo DVD based system, I don't have to PAY someone to give me the data I have already paid for.

LGmobile
Car: Infiniti EX35
Nissan 350Z

Bump for this thread for those interested, you CAN in fact upgrade to the 2010+ system in the 08 models. This would be the best way to upgrade the firmware (so to speak) and the functionality of your 2008 vehicle.

I just did mine the other day with parts from a 2011 G37 coupe (any model will work). I just have to visit my dealer to get some features tweaked with such as the aux ports which were apparently lost in 2011 and everything goes through usb.

The install was fairy straight forward but you have to be able to read schematics and wiring pin outs. My ex35 had navi, around view, etc so it made it a lot easier that way.

Here are some finished pics, I'm not sure how interesting this topic is so i wont start a whole new thread for it. The new nav is awesome though and it now plays DVD video (i havent hacked it yet so still nothing in motion). You can also upgrade the unit if you really want to from any new model as long as the pin out is the same which it should be up to 2012 for sure.

Before

After

**if you are wondering why the around view is missing the full option button, its because the av module in my car is still 2008, it will need a 2010 around view module to get the extra features. It will as soon as i can scope one on ebay, dealer list is over $700.. ouch.

~~Life is More Fun Driving an Infiniti~~

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

LGmobile wrote:Bump for this thread for those interested, you CAN in fact upgrade to the 2010+ system in the 08 models. This would be the best way to upgrade the firmware (so to speak) and the functionality of your 2008 vehicle.

I just did mine the other day with parts from a 2011 G37 coupe (any model will work). I just have to visit my dealer to get some features tweaked with such as the aux ports which were apparently lost in 2011 and everything goes through usb.

The install was fairy straight forward but you have to be able to read schematics and wiring pin outs. My ex35 had navi, around view, etc so it made it a lot easier that way.

Here are some finished pics, I'm not sure how interesting this topic is so i wont start a whole new thread for it. The new nav is awesome though and it now plays DVD video (i havent hacked it yet so still nothing in motion). You can also upgrade the unit if you really want to from any new model as long as the pin out is the same which it should be up to 2012 for sure.
Well, you have at least one person who finds the topic very interesting. -->Me<--. I would love to see the details involved.

Please let us know at least which parts had to be installed or replaced.

Thanks.

LGmobile
Nissan 350Z

For the 08 stock navi bose to accept the new unit, the following parts need to be replaced/removed

1. Master av control unit (can come from anything 2010+ 370z, ex35, g37, fx, etc)
2. LED Display screen (can come from anything 2010+ 370z, ex35, g37, fx, etc)
3. Main buttons (heat/volume) if you dont like the cf card hole. (ex35 specific, camera button, these are paired with the top buttons under the screen so keep them together or the buttons under the screen will not perform the printed function)
4. new--> usb port for center console ($50)
5. new--> usb wire from head unit to center console has to be custom made
6. new--> shielded cable from av unit to new LED screen for digital video has to be custom made
7. remove ipod box behind screen (no longer needed)

Things that remain the same (plugs)
1. am/fm antenna + plug
2. sat antenna + plug
3. xm antenna + plug
4. Around View monitor (can be upgraded for more features but it does work as is)
- NOTE: The AV system will show an error code in the navi diagnostic mode under "AV Comm", it is looking for the 2010 AV module and your system is 2008. All features still work as a 2008 including sonar.

All the plugs and sockets are the same but the pins need to be rearranged, I made a whole document on how they line up in excel I could post up. I just dont like posting too much stuff since with my previous car on a forum people tried things, messed up their cars badly and were mad at me. But for a skilled individual with time on their hands, its a fun project.

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

LGmobile wrote:For the 08 stock navi bose to accept the new unit, the following parts need to be replaced/removed

1. Master av control unit (can come from anything 2010+ 370z, ex35, g37, fx, etc)
2. LED Display screen (can come from anything 2010+ 370z, ex35, g37, fx, etc)
3. Main buttons (heat/volume) if you dont like the cf card hole. (ex35 specific, camera button, these are paired with the top buttons under the screen so keep them together or the buttons under the screen will not perform the printed function)
4. new--> usb port for center console ($50)
5. new--> usb wire from head unit to center console has to be custom made
6. new--> shielded cable from av unit to new LED screen for digital video has to be custom made
7. remove ipod box behind screen (no longer needed)

Things that remain the same (plugs)
1. am/fm antenna + plug
2. sat antenna + plug
3. xm antenna + plug
4. Around View monitor (can be upgraded for more features but it does work as is)
- NOTE: The AV system will show an error code in the navi diagnostic mode under "AV Comm", it is looking for the 2010 AV module and your system is 2008. All features still work as a 2008 including sonar.

All the plugs and sockets are the same but the pins need to be rearranged, I made a whole document on how they line up in excel I could post up. I just dont like posting too much stuff since with my previous car on a forum people tried things, messed up their cars badly and were mad at me. But for a skilled individual with time on their hands, its a fun project.
Wow. It doesn't sound as 'straight forward' as I thought. I thought it would be more of a 'parts swap' type of deal; for me, the requirement of rearranging the pins is probably the step I wouldn't want to go into, as it requires a good amount of time, organization, and tracking.

I know that it'll be highly unlikely that I'll try something like this. I wouldn't consider myself much of a "skilled individual" and I know I won't have the time, so I won't be able to have fun with this project. Because of this, I promise you that if you post up an instructional thread, I won't get mad at you. :) However, if nobody else shows interest, I wouldn't want you wasting your time writing everything up. :cool:

Nonetheless, I do admire what you've done and the effort you put into it. Thanks for sharing. :bigthumb:

LGmobile
Nissan 350Z

Ive been busy lately since im teaching, end of the year. But i will make time to do a proper write up.

Here is a pic of when she was hooked up to the consult 3 to reprogram the head unit :)

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”