NAV hack done! Questions and goodness.

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
eggyacid

Okay, i finally found a local shop that willing to do NAV hack on my 2006 M35

Everything works great and i noticed something totally cool today.

after putting in a destination, i flipped the switch and start watching my video podcast (via RCA)i noticed that my NAV still works... it's still giving me all direction and tracking on the MAP.How is this possible? my NAV still tracks..... the Green GPS light on the bottom right still lit and i'm getting voice prompt and everything works fine.

i heard some others on the board that the NAV will not work and you have to slow it down to get it sync... i just finished an 70 mile trip going about 75mph all the way, no problem and no lost of GPS while still have video in motion.

Did my installer do something different? this is amazing

SilverCi
Car: 2006 M45

What did that cost you at the shop?

Has anyone paid to do this local to NJ? I want to get it done but I'm not very handy

jankenpo30

eggyacid wrote:Okay, i finally found a local shop that willing to do NAV hack on my 2006 M35

Everything works great and i noticed something totally cool today.

after putting in a destination, i flipped the switch and start watching my video podcast (via RCA)i noticed that my NAV still works... it's still giving me all direction and tracking on the MAP.How is this possible? my NAV still tracks..... the Green GPS light on the bottom right still lit and i'm getting voice prompt and everything works fine.

i heard some others on the board that the NAV will not work and you have to slow it down to get it sync... i just finished an 70 mile trip going about 75mph all the way, no problem and no lost of GPS while still have video in motion.

Did my installer do something different? this is amazing
Can you enter destinations with the switch in the "on" position? On being the position allowing video to play??

eggyacid

Total cost for me is $85, the shop charged 1.5 hour of labor.

and I can enter destinations with the Switch "ON" i can play video and enter destination with that switch.

i've been driving with the switch in "ON" position all the time, no problems and i can still use the NAV.

jankenpo30

Somehow they have managed to make the Nav read the vehicle in motion signal as being both on & off at the same time. U can't enter new destinations unless it thinks you aren't moving...but GPS doesn't follow you unless you are moving.

I would guess that maybe the did some programming or install another type device in the mix. Very interesting, can you call them and ask? I'd have to look at the wiring again..been a long time...but I dont think this will work in this fashion by simply cutting wires like the "traditional" hack.

Be a damn good find. I sure others would love to hear how. Wouldnt be useful much for me. If I'm watching a DVD up front....I usually know where I'm going, & vice versa..lol

antzrus
Car: '06 M35x Premium/Obsidian/Bourbon/
Rosewood/XM/Tint/
ClearBra/SteelSkidPlate/Genuine CoCo Mats/Michelin CrossClimate2/Nav Hack/M-1

Yes, it does sound "amazing." Would you give us the name and phone number of this person so that we might get his method out here for the rest of us.

I hope this doesn't end up like cold fusion...

eggyacid

This is the place i got it done at.... I don't think it's anything they did, i had to print out instructions for them to do... They followed everything on the PDF.

I'll try to make a short movie on my next trip to show you guys the NAV and Video working at the same time.

Earmark Car Audiohttp://www.earmarkcaraudio.com

3132 W Parker RdPlano, TX 75075(972) 612-6886Get directions

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

eggyacid wrote:This is the place i got it done at.... I don't think it's anything they did, i had to print out instructions for them to do... They followed everything on the PDF.

I'll try to make a short movie on my next trip to show you guys the NAV and Video working at the same time.

They must have done something a bit different? Thanx.

jmcclain01
Car: 2006 M35

eggyacid wrote:This is the place i got it done at.... I don't think it's anything they did, i had to print out instructions for them to do... They followed everything on the PDF.

Can you give me the name of the installer by chance? I'd like to take mine there and have mine done. Where did they put the switch?

rolo3rdteen

Im glad to finally hear about a shop close by that will do this? "eggyacid" where did you find the PDF instructions?

eggyacid

i don't have the name of the installer.... sorrybut if you go there I'm sure they can help you.

rolo3rdteen

I called but they said to bring them the instructions on how to do the Nav Hack. Where did you find the instructions you took to them, that you mention in your previos entry.

eggyacid

i got it on this forum, there is a PDF floating around...

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

This is Ohmster's original hack. He can be found @ Carfaq.org; his own Nissan et al. forum.

[IMG] [/IMG][img] [/img][img] [/img][img] [/img][img] [/img][img] [/img][img] [/img][img] [/img]

BigHeadDennis
Car: 2016 Infiniti QX80

I too did the Ohmster hack. Not that hard, but does require some experience with a soldering gun. Works wonderfully.

Unlike aftermarket (plug-in) systems, our Infiniti systems ALSO get input from wheel and steering sensors, and not just from the satellites. This is why your NAV system can show your car circling around even 5 floors down in an underground garage.

I think what's happening with the NAV system is that when it's in the modified DVD/Nav-entry-enabled mode, the NAV system is *NOT* getting constant position updates from the wheel and steering sensors OR else it's not getting constant GPS updates (as Ohmster warned).

If you're watching the DVD while the car is proceeding on, say, an interstate, the NAV system may still work just because it's calculating from either the GPS signals ALONE, or the the wheel and steering sensors ALONE - and on the highway, you're not wandering off course very much.

Just speculation. If in fact your NAV is FULLY functional with the Ohmster hack, then please let us know!!!

vty,

--Dennis

rolo3rdteen

Nav Hack works wonderfully, Instead of taking it to a shop close by, being the amateur electrician that I am, I choose to do it myself. Who else knows my car better than I do. LOL It took me about 3 hours total time. And I must say Time was well spent. I can know watch my DVD player while car is in motion, and like Ohmster warned there is a slight problem with the Nav when Nav is bypassed. But it can be overlooked just glad to finallly be able to watch DVD's without being in park.

rOlo

paulk22
Car: Infiniti M35x

Hey

Could someone email the .pdf instructions to me if they have them: [email protected]

Thanks

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

paulk22 wrote:Hey

Could someone email the .pdf instructions to me if they have them: [email protected]

Thanks
Hey, just download Ohmster's pictures of the instructions enclosed above. Keep em' as jpegs or convert'em to pdf's. Easy enuf..?

paulk22

Thanks, that will get me the same result I suppose.

Has anyone had any luck getting a switch that matches the one for the AWD on the center console, I was thinking that would be ideal for installation (although maybe a little obvious for someone to find when repairing the vehicle)

If so, could you post the link?

Also, anyone find a shop near Philadephia, PA willing to do the mod?

rimnc
Car: 2008 M35x

hi all, I use to have a '06 now I have an '08 M35x with the Hard Drive. Will this hack still work?

jankenpo30

rimnc wrote:hi all, I use to have a '06 now I have an '08 M35x with the Hard Drive. Will this hack still work?
Not this one. There has been an 08 hack posted, but ont on this forum I believe. You'll have to search other forums

paulk22

Update - I found a guy in NE Philly willing (and proved to be able) to do the hack, cost me 50 or 60 bucks and took him about an hour or so to finish. He did a clean nice job and we put the switch in the bottom right corner of the glovebox.

I had it done probably like 3-4 weeks ago it has worked as described in the forum above and has come in hand many times.

Definitely worth it!

Feel free to email me if you need the shops info.

dvs423
Car: 2006 m35x

do anyone know where i can get this done in the NYC area???

MnM's_M45
Car: M45

I got this done in my M45. I had a switch put in where my cigarette lighter was. Who needs a cig lighter It looks sooooo clean!!! You can reach it easily and it's hidden. No leaning over to get in the glove box.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

MnM’s_M45 wrote:Who needs a cig lighter
Actually they are quite useful for lighting M-80s to toss out the window on the 4th of July. Matches and lighters blow out too easy when the windows and sunroof are open. But... I dont know anything about that... just what Ive heard...

jankenpo30

Did anyone ever get a hold of the Texas Installler or duplicate Eggy's result??

jase1125
Car: Infiniti M35 Sport

I went to the same shop in Plano and had them to the bypass hack. Unfortunately, I didn't get the same results. Tracking is disabled when enable the bypass.

pangpang77

dvs423 wrote:do anyone know where i can get this done in the NYC area???
I did mine in Stamford, CT, don't know if it's close enough to you, but the website is http://www.auntosoundnmore.com.

rocastro71
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35S

Anyone knows were I can get it done in South Florida?

1M2NV
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35x Fully Loaded

sent you an email.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”