NA v8 swap?

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
devinarney1

Looked into it a bit and it looks like the gm ls1 would be a good engine to swap with. Where could i find one and what would it take to do the swap?

simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

Yeah, either the LSx or Nissan VH45DE. I'd be surprised if you can't just source either locally if you're in the US. Whats it gonna take to do the swap? Some searching. Cause it's been done & covered many times before.

Head to the Hydrids forum and check out the build threads there.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

simmode1 wrote:Yeah, either the LSx or Nissan VH45DE. I'd be surprised if you can't just source either locally if you're in the US. Whats it gonna take to do the swap? Some searching. Cause it's been done & covered many times before.

Head to the Hydrids forum and check out the build threads there.
Pretty much got it covered.

The VH45DE is a little bit taller, so you'll either have to cut the hood or get a custom cowled hood, as the plenum won't clear.

simmode1

OP, I used to be interested in a V8 or I6 swapped Z32 too... But once I learned more about the VG30DETT's capabilities and features, I see no reason to run anything else in a Z32.

The car just needs a diet & a decluttered engine bay.

devinarney1

simmode1 wrote:OP, I used to be interested in a V8 or I6 swapped Z32 too... But once I learned more about the VG30DETT's capabilities and features, I see no reason to run anything else in a Z32.

The car just needs a diet & a decluttered engine bay.
By diet I'm assuming you mean lightening by removing useless bunk?

bartZ32tt
Car: 1990 300zx twin turbo, 1996 7.3 powerstroke

devinarney1 wrote: By diet I'm assuming you mean lightening by removing useless bunk?
correct. I deleted all b.s. emissions junk, minus the egr and aiv's (already deleted) and it weighed in at about 15 lbs. For JUST emissions junk! That's not even counting the heavy stock seats or hicas. Milo has proven that there is a ton (no pun intended) of ways to cut weight in the z32.

I also agree with simmode - the vg30dett is an awesome motor and we are constantly finding new ways to make awesome power with it. I wouldn't put any other motor in the z32...that's what a 240sx is for. Just kidding, but really though :)

simmode1

^^^ :werd: Do that stuff, a battery relocaton and try to go for the shave engine bay look. This looks a WHOLE lot less intimidating than stock:

If I had a TT Z, making my engine bay look like this would be a high priority after maintainance, bushing replacement & achieving my desired stance. Alot of hard work, but very much worth it. This bay is a thing of symmetrical beauty...
:drool:

If the motor weren't so heavy, I'd certainly want a VG30DETT in one of my 240's. But as it is, I think it's perfect for the car it already comes in. You don't need to reinvent the wheel (so to speak) when your motor is capable of this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hORu2FzEnI[/youtube]

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”