Mysterious no-spark situation with a buzzing transmission

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
2ndgenKyle
Car: 2001 Altima GXE

So I have been googling around for a while and it seems that no one has had this problem before (on any message board--ever).

I was driving my 2001 Altima GXE the other day, when the engine suddenly cut off and would not restart. No sputter, no hesitation, just a sudden death. The car will crank fine but not start. I had it towed approximately 1 mile back to my house and during that time (ignition on, with headlights and hazards) the battery managed to completely drain itself. I did some diagnostic work and I have determined that I'm getting no spark. I replaced the distributor, assuming that the coil pack was faulty, and it has not resolved the problem.

When the ignition is turned on there is an odd sound from the transmission (At the bottom. It seems to originate inside the transmission oil pan) that sounds like a buzzing (almost like a welding arc). Whatever it is, it's drawing lots of power because the battery drains rapidly when the ignition is in the 'on' position. Inside the cabin fuse box, the ignition fuse has no power flowing to it. No fuses or relays are blowing, my OBDII code reader is reporting no faults, the problem persists with both my key and my wife's spare key, and I am officially out of ideas on how to proceed.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on here?

asoomal
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)

Bad ground?

Turn IGN on and remove the fuses under the hood one by one, and then repeat for the one in the cabin.

2ndgenKyle

What am I looking for when pulling the fuses/relays?

The sound only goes away when the ignition is turned to a position other than 'on' or when the ignition relays are removed.

asoomal
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)

By pulling the fuse one by one, check and see if the noise goes way...if it does, it has something to do with that circuit.

2ndgenKyle

I've done that and it's somewhere in the ignition circuit, which makes since because I'm getting no spark. I just have no idea what in the transmission could be making that noise.

pontiacguy
Car: 1995 d21 hardbody

Hi Kyle, I know it's been a long time but I'm desperate. I'm having the same problem with the no spark and buzzing sound coming from the trans. Did you resolve it and do you remember how? Thanks

altimah8tr

Wow, I'm having the exact same problem. I have tested my tps and I have confirmed it is bad. I'm ordering a new one, but I can't figure out how it could cause the no spark condition. I have traced every power and ground to the ecm + replaced the distributor. Still no spark.

Did anything work for you Kyle or Pontiac guy? This problem is kicking my a**.

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”