My window won't roll down! Window amp.

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Justin8763
Car: 240sx s14

Hey guys, this is my first post but I read around here alot and though I might help out. I saw a few threads about people having trouble with their windows, and half the time it ends up being the amp, like mine...

I read someone posted sometimes a connection within the amp box can go bad so I thought I'd provide pictures! with some info!

Items needed:1.Solder2.Soldering Iron3.Philipshead screwdriver(for takin off ur door!)4.and a small flat head screwdriver for taking apart the amp box.

If you don't know already the window amp is located in the drivers side door, and for an s14 its a small white box that looks like this

after removing it, you gotta pry the black face with the 8 prongs off. there are snaps at these locations on the box. I kinda chipped of a bit of it cause I was rushing a bit.

After you open it up, CAREFULLY pull out the circuit board...

Flip it over and take a close look... you can see a broken connection that is easily fixable...

Heat up your soldering iron, and solder the broken connection, something like this...

let the solder cool for a few seconds, and slide the board back in! you might have some trouble if its the same connection as mine, since the sides of the box hold the board in. I had to resolder thinner to let it slide in. put it back together and roll down your window and enjoy the breeze! If you discover it is a bad connection, and follow these steps to fix it, you save yourself ~$160 from the dealer or ~$60 from ordering it online!

I hope this helps...!
Modified by Justin8763 at 11:15 AM 4/21/2007

Driftless240
Car: 1991 Hatchback

Long time lurker with 12 posts gunna get himself a custom title....

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

well-deserved, too! thanks again justin!

ceefromdasco
Car: chuki RMS13

man i wish somebody posted this like a year ago, i was trying to figure out the same problem but instead i burnt my amp beyond repair. good job for this post, im sure hella people will fix their own window amps now!!

leveloneae86

thanks!! ill do this to my old one that i will replace once my new one comes in.

positron1
Car: Project: 1993 Nissan 240SX Coupe SR
Daily: 2010 Honda Civic Coupe

Driftless240 wrote:Long time lurker with 12 posts gunna get himself a custom title....
Yeah, but very useful article though. I already replaced mine but I'm gonna fix the old "busted" one. Thanks!

maverick06xx

i know this is an old thread but The problem is i think it may be the window amplifier, the window wont go up or down, the window was going up and it just stop going up almost half way. When i keep pressing the button for it to go up it just clicks. Guy i bought the car from says its the window amplifier so thats why i am saying it possibly is. If anyone is in the Raleigh or Garner area it would be nice to get some help even if i could just use someones to just get the window up that would be great. This car is still new to me some i'm learing new things everyday. If anyone is located in Raleigh or Ganer N.C. i would really appreciate some help.

Also when i pulled mines out there isnt a burnt part like u have in the rectangle. There isnt even anything silver in that sport. Any other ideals?

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

replace it and check your window tracks for obstruction, then clean and lubricate them.

check all your wiring as well.

Clawhammer

Yeah, this was the best repair I ever did. Saved myself sooooo much money. I thought someone already did a write-up on this? Either way, nice job!

spooled240
Car: kouki s14

just try and have someone press the button to roll the window up and manually pull the window up at the same time. This has worked many times when my pass side window was not working, then one day it started working again..don't know what happened.

maverick06xx

spooled240 wrote:just try and have someone press the button to roll the window up and manually pull the window up at the same time. This has worked many times when my pass side window was not working, then one day it started working again..don't know what happened.
Tried that that window isnt moving at all

spooled240
Car: kouki s14

hmmmmm, you're gonna have to remove the door panel, just screws and clips that need a tug to pull them out. Then check your "regulator" or the tracks that the window goes up and down on, sometimes little pieces of dirt and plastic get in the tracks and seize up the window

Stryder
Car: 1998 240SX

i cant see the pics....

xckid
Car: 2004 Chevy Blazer ZR2

on a s13 its different any one know how to fix a s13 amp...

Uberck
Car: 240sx

Justin8763 wrote:you save yourself ~$160 from the dealer or ~$60 from ordering it online!
or $0.50 from a junkyard

maverick06xx

Well, i found out that i need a window motor, and i dont know how to install one, i'm ****ed....

el_mata
Car: S14

wow, this old but its krazy... i'm on my 3rd amp already and it just broke. gonna try it tomorrow!thanks!

phreaknature
Car: 1990 240SX SE
2001 Altima

ZOMG!!! someone (^^^^^) really did use the search function instead of posting up something stupid like "My window won't go down someone help!!". THE INTERNET WORKS!!!

assassin7420
Car: 1996 Nissan Silvia

1995 Nissan 240sx (daily)

YEAH, NOW LETS ALL FLAME HIM FOR POSTING IN A DEAD THREAD!

Kidding, But Sometimes the just stop working all together. Mines shorted all the way out. The window goes down, But wont go up. Oh well, Its winter.

jholling

ng.

Hoffman5982
Car: '95 sr20det 240sx

free post?

jmcwaine
Car: 89 240sx

hey im having the same issue except a different sodering connection is broken:( could this be a cause for the window not to roll down as well???the main conneciton is fine but one of the sodering points for one of the 8 pins is broken:( could a soder fix this?? possibly make my window work???!! lol Image #1 is the main connection it seems to be fine and board is a little burnt up. #2 is the pin that has the broken sodering point:(

platinumSR20

I just pulled my amp apart and #2 is exactly where mine looks bad. Everything else on the amp looks fine. Did it work when you soldered at #2?

zenkistic
Car: 96 240 SE

get an ohm meter and measure resistance between pins that should be connected through the copper tracks. Resistance should be low; if it's not, get wire and connect them directly. Make sure your soldering is nice. Shinny. If you can not do that, find an electrician or somebody who knows what he is doing.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”