my vdc light recently came on and does not shut off, any ideas why? please help!

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
udiwin

VDC lights turn on and wont go off? I owne a 2005 G35 sedan. Thanks in advance for any help possible!

gnotaz
Car: 2003 infiniti G35 6 speed coupe
2008 Honda Civic EX Coupe (Winter)
1977 Lotus Esprit S1

There is a comprehensive list of recalls and service bulletins on this forum. Under TSB 77, item 46 there is a bulletin regarding your problem. Check it out. I have the thread link if you find you need it.

G Not a Z

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Brake fluid is low or brake pads need to be replaced.

gnotaz
1977 Lotus Esprit S1

For
RED_DET wrote:Brake fluid is low or brake pads need to be replaced.
Forgive my lack of knowledge but why would the VDC warning light come on for low brake fluid or lack of pad? I would have guessed the brake warning light or ABS light . How are the two systems related?

G Not a Z

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Simple, if the VDC engages for any reason, what actually happens. The power delivery is interrupted and the abs system kicks as well.

gnotaz
1977 Lotus Esprit S1

RED_DET wrote:Simple, if the VDC engages for any reason, what actually happens. The power delivery is interrupted and the abs system kicks as well.
With my VDC problem, I'm well aware of those results! My light however, does not stay on. The link I suggested may deal that problem.HTTP://forums.g35club.org/zerothread/359479.

G Not a Z

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Welcome to the forum. My best guess is definitly brakes and most likely front pads and rotors, when the DTC sets in the ABS for a low brake fluid level it will cause the VDC to go into failsafe and the slip,VDC, and Brake light should come on. Take a look under the hood and see what your level looks like.

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

I really don't mind answering this question all of the time, but what annoys me is when we offer the correct answer and get people doubting the situation.

I told the guys in the Altima forum about the brake fluid being low probably because of worn pads and/or rotors and they argued with me as if I was stupid

Cali 2 Balti G
Car: Desert Platinum G35 Coupe
Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Toyota Sequoia

Sentientbydesign wrote:I really don't mind answering this question all of the time, but what annoys me is when we offer the correct answer and get people doubting the situation.

I told the guys in the Altima forum about the brake fluid being low probably because of worn pads and/or rotors and they argued with me as if I was stupid
I know what you mean = I've spent many a day trying to give advice on the Altima forum based on what I learned from my Coupe.

In any Case - back to the original issue - the VDC light.Udiwin - low brake fluid is a known trigger for the light - this issue is discussed several times here and other forums like the 350Z and Altima forums. The SEARCH - function is your friend - do search on whatever term or issue you are having and you will likely find numerous posts full of information (and unfortunately some mis-information).

Let us know what it turned out to be.

Cali 2 Balti G
Car: Desert Platinum G35 Coupe
Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Toyota Sequoia

Sentientbydesign wrote:I really don't mind answering this question all of the time, but what annoys me is when we offer the correct answer and get people doubting the situation.

The other thing that is annoying is when you take the time to answer someone's question - and they dont respond and let you know whether your solution helped them or not.

austinpowers02
Car: Infiiniti G35 coupe

Yess!!! the responses for low brake fluid is correct!!! i had the same problem and after filling up to the max line for brake fluid, the brake, vdc and slip light went off. I was also told that a VDC sensor replacement can clear this problem for good ($140.00 for the sensor) or else you will prob have to fill the fluid back up in a month or so. 7/17/09

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

austinpowers02 wrote:Yess!!! the responses for low brake fluid is correct!!! i had the same problem and after filling up to the max line for brake fluid, the brake, vdc and slip light went off. I was also told that a VDC sensor replacement can clear this problem for good ($140.00 for the sensor) or else you will prob have to fill the fluid back up in a month or so. 7/17/09
This doesn't sound right. My understanding is that the VDC failsafe kicks in when you have low fluid levels. The low fluid levels are caused by one of two problems:

1) There is a leak. GET THIS FIXED IMMEDIATELY!2) Your brake pads and/or rotors are severely worn-

To expand on #2, the brake fluid system is pretty much a closed system. As the brake pads and/or rotors wear, the pistons in the brakes push out to make up for the used material as such, the brake fluid, takes up that space behind the piston.

It's basically all about filling voids.

I'm not sure how replacing the VDC sensor is going to prevent the fail safe from triggering when the problem is a lack of fluid. UNLESS, your VDC sensor is causing problem #1.

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”