My Sick S15 Conversion

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
ricknix7
Car: 95 240sx full rhd s15 conversion.

Its finally time to share this gem and its story with my fellow Nissan enthusiasts and THE WORLD!!! She started life as a 95 s14 LHD model but the insane ideas floating around between friends just wouldnt leave well enough alone. What if??? What if we could pull off one of the sickest conversions in the US? Is it even possible? The answer was HELL YES... After years of literal blood, sweat, and tears she was ready to show her face in public. After her complete JDM metamorphosis she stepped out of the cocoon almost a perfect RHD s15 spec R replica. At her heart there will soon (within a year) be an RB26DETT and yes it will be AWD. The SR was sold as funding for the RB and im currently running KA with intake and header back exhaust (Blitz nur spec r). She sits on an amazing full suspension including rare JDM Kei Office coil overs, Dmax rods and arms, wearing 17x9 ATS shoes all around. Other goodies include new kaaz 2 way diff (not installed, welded diff for now) s15 calipers with baer slotted and drilled rotors, JDM Carbon Fiber bonnet, Cusco 7pt roll cage, deep angle steering kit, Recaro spg driver seat (JDM s15 for passenger), back seat delete, and a single wiper conversion. So she went on and stunned the area with her presence but unfortunately, it was short lived. About 4 months later I was rear ended by some idiot not paying attention in his ford F-9000000000 super uber duty. After a couple months of rear end rebuild, a full respray in bayside blue, and a few fights with the insurance about not getting my beloved JDM spec R rear bumper back she was back in action and I continue to drive the hell out of her almost daily. Keep in mind she is a work in progress. Since the pics the car has been lowered (might as well be a monster truck in these pics), emblems painted matte black and on the car, and smoked sidmarkers have replaced the one clear and the one missing. Love it or Hate it I give to you my friends... http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/ricknix7/slideshow/

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Welcome to NICO and wonderful job on a well done conversion. If you hadn't said it started off as a '95, I would have sworn you imported an S15. Do you have any pics of the process?

I love the color you picked, I'm a huge sucker for blues.

EDIT: I'll admit I was skeptical at first. I was reading through the post thinking yeah..whatever. An S14 with an S15 front end. Big deal. It wasn't until you mentioned that the insurance was giving you the run around over the Spec R rear bumper. Kudos and then some!

pepesilvia
Car: 96 S14

holy mother of god that's one hell of a conversion.... i dont even want to ask how much that cost :ohno:

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

ricknix7 wrote: About 4 months later I was rear ended by some idiot not paying attention in his ford F-9000000000 super uber duty.
Oh man if that happened to me, there would be f*** murders!

It seems like a really nice street car, but you've got a lot of racing components on there, like welded diff (or soon to be 2 way diff), which I would think seriously sacrifice driveability. Is there any reason you didn't just go with a viscous limited slip?

krash
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

Wow, that is amazing. I would have never known if you didn't say it was an s14. Stellar work man!

ricknix7

Is there any reason you didn't just go with a viscous limited slip?
I continue to drive the hell out of her almost daily. :biggrin:

Simply put... spirited driving. Detailed explaination... I was running a vlsd all during fall and winter with road surfaces and tire temps colder it was easier to keep drifts but just switched to slightly increase performance for spring and summer in preparation for hotter road/tire temps and increased wet weather driving. Youre def right about sacrifice in driveability with the welded diff but I can easily switch out when Ive had enough. Only running welded so I dont dog out my brand new Kaaz 2way on the likes of this unbuilt ka. Other than that I would always prefer a 2way. I ran a Kaaz 2way on my previous s14 sr build and it was very impressive providing increased stability going into and coming off of corners and great control while drifting. I found it was great for all types of driving as it was uber predictable. It behaved admirably for daily driving and I only experienced a low pitched whine, not the clunkety clunk that others often report. Note this is my personal opinion formulated from my own experiences and others may have a very different story to tell. Thanks PapaSmurf!

mechanicalmoron

I clicked on this thread to harass you about calling your own car sick.

That's pretty sick.

ricknix7

mechanicalmoron wrote:I clicked on this thread to harass you about calling your own car sick.

That's pretty sick.
HAHAHA understandable! Hope you all can understand that myself and others involved are just very proud that all the time and effort into this project turned into this beauty. Especially cause we are not some million dollar shop (not a shop at all) and we're amateurs when it comes to fabrication and bodywork, literally just a few friends that had a crazy idea one night. Truth is, it really WASN'T some high dollar build, just did what we could when we could and fortunately had a solid source for some JDM goodies when we could afford them. Gotta give MUCHO props to Hajime, without his connections, engineering prowess, and many hours into all aspects of the build this would NEVER have been. When it really comes down to it we ALL think our own cars are or will be sick because of the same reasons so I say OWN that s*** loud and proud!

ricknix7

Thanks to Nico club members and moderators for the warm welcome. Nico is legit and full of great forums, respectful knowledgable members, and awesome resources. Way better than the local forum that"s full of disrespectful s***birds who offer no advice and talk s*** about your hard work. THANKS Nico!

simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

Ok, Am I the only one who clicks on the link and can't see anything?

ricknix7

simmode1 wrote:Ok, Am I the only one who clicks on the link and can't see anything?
Try to copy and paste the link in the address bar. If not, hope these work. Tested and all these plus the slideshow link open in chrome. Also trying to obtain pics of the build for you guys but my friend who has them moved back to Japan and has become exceedingly hard to get a hold of.

[img][IMG]http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p77 ... d70475.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p77 ... 456bd0.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p77 ... 6b8bca.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p77 ... a871d9.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p77 ... 63aa4a.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p77 ... ffd955.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p77 ... 3abae2.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p77 ... 250114.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p77 ... b48a86.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p77 ... e212dd.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p77 ... 9ebf55.jpg[/img][/img]

simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

^^^That turned out alot better than I was expecting. Congrats.

But how is it 2013 and you can't figure out how to post from photobucket? lol

Dear god that must have been a lot of work. Excuse me if I'm skeptical that this started out as an S14. But even if it did, I can only imagine what cars I would have rather bought with the money this must have cost.

ricknix7

But how is it 2013 and you can't figure out how to post from photobucket? lol
Thanks to simmode for posting pics!!! Noob and never posted pics. Im horribly impatient and didnt care to read directions how to post em. Again great testament to awesome members here at Nico!!!

Yep, born LHD s14, Under that deep bayside blue she looks like frankenstein though lol... Actually, the bodywork has settled over the past year or so and im gonna go over it again in a few months. Might even change colors... again! Probably 40th anniv graphite or gun metallic. !!!OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS!!! Any takers on Midnight Purple??

mechanicalmoron

Did you ever consider (out of curiosity) just building a tube chassis designed for s15 skin, and dropping an s15 over it? Cause if you built a whole chassis yourself I don't think you'd have any problem registering it as a homebuilt, even if it's cosmetically an s15. No need for bondo anywhere, you could have a perfect unbutchered body, and the potential to build the car better than the original, but with all the original parts.

Come to think of it, that might be a better option for a lot of people who want hardcore conversions. Build it, and convert the skin.

You just buy the whore grey car in sections, and use suspension or anything else you wanted, on your tube chassis.

ricknix7

mechanicalmoron wrote:Did you ever consider (out of curiosity) just building a tube chassis designed for s15 skin, and dropping an s15 over it?
Great question, and yes it was considered but it would have required a bit more engineering skill, more equipment and more $ than we possessed. Plus, dedpite the thoughts flying around, this was TRULY done on a pretty low budget.

mechanicalmoron

ricknix7 wrote:
mechanicalmoron wrote:Did you ever consider (out of curiosity) just building a tube chassis designed for s15 skin, and dropping an s15 over it?
Great question, and yes it was considered but it would have required a bit more engineering skill, more equipment and more $ than we possessed. Plus, dedpite the thoughts flying around, this was TRULY done on a pretty low budget.
But, as we all know, when you start something the "budget" way, it often means you end up with the same results, but pour a lot more money into them, to work around the little kinks that would be solved by taking the big step - nickels and dimes hurt. I'm envisioning building a chassis to be like building a cage, only bigger - which is probably greatly under-estimating the job.

Of course, it turned out brilliantly and I'm not arguing with how you did it. Just thinking about the whole conversion scene, and how it might compare (in performance, too) to just sticking a skin on a purpose-built chassis.

Is the interior all s15, or is it as s14 RHD dash? pics?

krash
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

Yea, building a tube chassis isn't really logical at all. Maybe for an all out racecar for a race team or something. But for a street car or even a mild track car its really not worth it. What the OP did was basically just some body work. Very nice, very well executed body work, but bodywork nonetheless. Building a chassis would not only cost a butt-ton of money, but you'd have to also design the whole car properly.

But I like the way you think. If money and time is no object, building your own chassis is pretty great because you can design your own suspension geometry etc and build the car to be perfect.

Mercury_Hg
Car: 1993 240SX Coupe

Think this can be pulled off with a front and rear S15 clip?
Why didn't you document the conversion process?

Return to “240sx General Discussion”