My S13 was built on a Friday Restoration

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
asoomal
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)

Hey guys, thought I'd make a build thread for my S13...well more of a resto.

Bought the car on a cold Fall evening on October 15, 2007 for $3750 off Craigslist. All it said on the CL ad was "Lots of new parts". Eh good enough for me.

Anyways, this is the only pic I have of the car when I bought it.

1992 240SX SE 5 speed with HICAS

Bone stock except for a drop in K&N filter, brown wire for the pop ups was cut, and later found out that the clutch damper had already been bypassed.

Drove it for a month but ran like s***, needed a new fuel pump and filter. Had it replaced by a shady shop (I didn't know how to work on cars at the time), so $500 dollars later for a new Carter fuel pump and fuel filter it ran fine. Then found it it had no thermostat in the winter and had it replaced but the shop didn't bleed the coolant properly and told me it was the CTS so I replaced that by myself and bled the coolant and all was fine. Didn't need the CTS actually, f*** shady shop, waste of $50.

Drove it for a year, and then after I graduated, I threw a 2.5" BRM exhaust in stainless with the 22" resonator and a DC Sports header and polished the crap out of car by hand. Waited a year for that header to show up as well.

Got this dent by hitting a dumpster doing 5kmh in the snow

Random mountain shot

Four years later that s*** Carter fuel pump died. Made a horrible sound while priming and kept on hesitating when I pressed more than 20% throttle. Checked the fuel pressure, 20 PSI. Toasted. 320xxx KMS on the clock.

Then I decided to finally relocate my battery to the trunk since I was going to drop the tank and sand all the rust off and repaint it.

I took my front fenders off.

I shat a brick.

:mad:

Lower driver side rocker area

Lower passenger side rocker area

And then I removed all the bondo and fiberglass that was covering the upper strut mounting plate and tore what was left of the brace that ties the hood ledge to the strut tower plate.

Nasty

Prepping engine for removal

Engine and transmission removed

Drilled out the spot welds and removed the rusted battery tray

Drilled out more welds, strut mounting plate

OEM Nissan clutch...320xxxKMS, damn

Sand blasted the transmission mount bracket

Degreased and cleaned it and two coats of VHT chassis epoxy

Also removed the transmission guts and sensors and had the case sandblasted and then a couple coats of VHT Gold

Interior shots

Rusted C pillar brace

'Mericuhn odometer

BRM Exhaust!

Had a new lower radiator support welded from another shady shop in Feb 2010, $800 and it's not even welded properly or sealed

:tisk:

The money shot

Yumm

So check this out, HORRIBLE factory seam sealing. Fawkers

Starts from one end like this. This picture is of the strut mounting plate, in the wheel well area.

And ends like this...WHAT THE FAWK??? Oh and ignore the molten lump, that was me testing out the new welder I bought =)

Got rid of that.

Added some new metal and welded and flap wheeled it flush

Cut out the hood ledge and welded some new steel on there as well

Shot some weld through primer and tacked it on. And yes I do realize how horrible the welds look, I am redoing them now =)

They actually held LOL

Anyways found some more between the cowl and the door hinge bracket area

Horrible factory welding

There wasn't much rust on the passenger side (or so I thought), so I just cut out the top of the strut mounting plate and welded in a new piece and hit it with self etch

I then proceeded to stitch weld some parts, thinking that there was no rust between the panels.

:biggrin:

And then sanded all the panels in the passenger side wheel well and hit it with self etch

Dumbass alarm installer drilled a hole on a seam for the siren. Excellent place for corrosion.

Cut out a rusty part and patched and primered it.

Found more rust, hiding beneath the rubberized undercoating.

And then I decided to remove the carpet and found this hole on the passenger side inner sill

Looks like a bad spot weld from the brace started it

Now back to the passenger wheel wheels, I decided to take a closer look at the welds and proceeded to open them up, kinda wish I didn't primer the whole thing now.

Wire wheeled one half of it.

Filled the holes with weld, grinded it flush, and etched it with phosphoric acid

Patched another section

Cut out where the wheel well is welded to the frame member, found a nice surprise.

A little bit of rust inside, but nothing major.

Sanded it, vacuumed it with a rubber hose, washed it with phosphoric acid and neutralized it and coated the inside with Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating. It's very thin paint that seeps through the seams and coats it

Welded a new piece back on, and shot it again with the internal frame coating

Weld through primer

Lined it up and drilled holes for the plug welds.

Welded and flap wheeled

Closed it up, don't have any finished pics yet

Now back to the passenger side strut tower

Cut it out to find and kill hidden rust.

Welded it back up and coated it with Sherwin William's Macropoxy. It's a really tough epoxy primer, you can use it for boats in salt water as well :naughty:

Andddd back to the driver side. Had to redo some stuff and found some more rust. Used a heat gun and a metal scraper to remove the undercoating. Found a lot of hidden rust.

Rusting at the welds

Firewall, floorpanel, is on the right of the picture

Drilled out the welds for the rad support and removed it, also cut the battery tray area

Cut and welded a new piece for the rad support to weld on to

Seriously, who the f*** did the seam sealer for S13's?

How did this even pass quality control?

This was probably caused by brake fluid.

Had to remove the interior in order to weld it back on.

Anddddddddddddddddd more rust

Rear floor pan area

Removed closing plate for side member.

Random transmission tunnel rust hole.

The infamous floor pan rust

So I removed all of that sound deadening and started to work on that flimsy brace that goes door to door.

These two spot welds weren't even done properly. All I had to do was slip a flat blade screwdriver between the floor and the brace and give it a twist. They popped off. Just like that. Gotta love Nissan. f***

Removed that flimsy brace.

The dimple in the middle of the picture is another bad spot weld.
Last edited by asoomal on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blkvrtswp
Car: 93 240SX Convertible
SR20DET FP 20G Turbo

Holy crap! I thought I found a lot of 'surprise!' rust on my 'vert..... good luck, nice pics, hope you find no more rust!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Wow you're not kidding about being built on a Friday haha.

On the bright side, you're probably a grand master of rust repair now.

pepesilvia
Car: 96 S14

:mad: I HATE rust! Makes me so angry! good luck :bigthumb:

TurboSauce
Car: 2006 G35 coupe, 2018 Mazda CX-9

+1 to your love and dedication man. Most would stop trying to repair the rust after finding so much.

asoomal

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:Wow you're not kidding about being built on a Friday haha.

On the bright side, you're probably a grand master of rust repair now.
I wish I was, probably would be been completed a while ago. Also, my car was built in April 1992, and on the side of the dashboard it says "4/20", does that mean it was built on April 20, 1992? If so, that probably explains why the build quality is so shoddy.

Anyways, went to the dealer yesterday and picked up the driver side front member I ordered.

Which will be replacing this:

Looks like it started to rust inside out. Inside the frame rail, towards the front, where it kicks up, there is a C Channel spot welded to make it stronger so you can throw jackstands underneath it.

Also found some more hiding in the undercoating on the rear floor pan.

Cut a piece out of the rear floor pan area from inside the cabin.

And took some pics of the passenger side strut tower cap from the wheel wells

TurboSauce
Car: 2006 G35 coupe, 2018 Mazda CX-9

are you building this as a track car or as a daily driver?

garvid
Car: 260z rb25det swap

Rust Nazi!!! I mean that as a compliment. hehe

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Good attention to detail! I have a feeling when I toss my car up on the rotisserie, a ton of rust like that is going to jump out.

I'm curious if the robots that were applying the seam adhesive was out of alignment that day or what. That's a pretty s*** sealant job.

asoomal

TurboSauce wrote:are you building this as a track car or as a daily driver?
It'll be a daily driver, with some extra bracing. ;)

I do have an Eaton M62 laying around though.

But that can wait for now =)

asoomal

So today, I removed the subrame, brake and fuel lines and HICAS related parts.

A little bit of rust around the side and the middle members.

Also tried to drill out the spot welds that go from the floor to the inner sills, but there was no room. So I tried to grind the welds down, but that took too long.

See how the floor panel bends 90 degrees, where it attaches to the inner sill? I'm going to be cutting it off from there.

I'll be welding am 1/8" angle bar to the inner sill, add an inch to the sides of the floor pan and plug weld it on.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

That subframe actually looks pretty good!

asoomal

The subframe isn't too shabby, but there is some internal rust.

Anyways, I finally got the floor out! :)

After many attempts, it finally came out. Spent a few days trying to figure out where it was still welded, lot's of random brackets and braces around the floor.

Made a line where I was going to cut the floor in half if it didn't come out.

Also cut some sheet metal and fastened them to the floor so that if I were to cut the floor in half, I would be able to line it up easily.

Removed the door, very awkward to handle, should have left the windows down. :facepalm:

And it's out!

Managed to take it out in one piece.

Driver side frame rail. Notice how it's rusting where the jack/axle stand mounting area is.

Passenger side

Driver side inner sill.

Passenger side inner sill.

Hijacker
'94 F-150

I'll be doing the same job on the floor soon. I've got a donor car lined up. One thing I would have suggested you had done before removing structure would have been to add cross bracing to keep the car from possibly twisting. The floor braces you pulled do add in some flex resistance. If you end up cutting out the rockers, definitely brace up the door frame. Same thing for the frame rail when you cut it out.

asoomal

I'll be adding some today actually, bought some 1/8 angle iron yesterday that will be running from the front to the back and sill to sill, welded to the rails.

m tr4nch
Car: RS13, Z31, P11

wow man.. i thought i was crazy for doing everything i did with mine. you took it a step further. this is awesome though! you are literally disassembling the car piece by piece, fixing rust, and putting the pieces back. i have a lot of respect because i know how hard doing this kind of resto is. and we basically have the same rust in the same spots.

definitely looking forward to the outcome!

asoomal

I think I am going crazy.

Your build thread is what inspired and motivated me :P I remember reading your build thread when I was in high school lol.
Last edited by asoomal on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

m tr4nch

asoomal wrote:I think I am going crazy.

You're build thread is what inspired and motivated me :P I remember reading your build thread when I was in high school lol.
awesome that i inspired you! :) and damn, yeah i've been taking way too long with that thing lol.

pepesilvia
Car: 96 S14

m tr4nch wrote:
asoomal wrote:I think I am going crazy.

You're build thread is what inspired and motivated me :P I remember reading your build thread when I was in high school lol.
awesome that i inspired you! :) and damn, yeah i've been taking way too long with that thing lol.
@ m tr4nch: yeah, your thread was the one of the first full build threads i've read even way before i joined this site. Can you hurry up and finish it already? :crazy:

BTW, asoomal, I dont understand how you got the floor out in one piece like that? isnt it welded down? did you cut it around the edge? damn that must have taken a long time. I think I would go crazy trying to take on a project like this... One more question, you said you use "phosphoric acid" on the bare metal to prep it after the rust has been taken off to bare metal. Whats your total process after you've grinded down to bare metal to cover it up to avoid rust in the future? if you dont mind me asking...

Hijacker
'94 F-150

It should be able to come out in one piece. You just gotta drill out the spot welds where it attaches at the firewall, rear seat area, frame rails, and rocker panels as well as remove the cross brace. That's a lot of drilling though D:

I'm going to be stocking up on these types of bits once I get around to replacing unibody panels.

m tr4nch

pepesilvia wrote:@ m tr4nch: yeah, your thread was the one of the first full build threads i've read even way before i joined this site. Can you hurry up and finish it already? :crazy:
working on it! ;)
pepesilvia wrote:One more question, you said you use "phosphoric acid" on the bare metal to prep it after the rust has been taken off to bare metal. Whats your total process after you've grinded down to bare metal to cover it up to avoid rust in the future? if you dont mind me asking...
personally i use this stuff called picklex 20 on bare metal to "pickle" or acid etch to protect it after griding, sandblasting, or wire wheeling the rust off. after acid etch i usually paint over it with some rust preventative paint such as the masterseries paint i've been using, either as a primer for other paints/coatings or just left as is depending on what/where it is. hope that helps!

asoomal

pepesilvia wrote:
BTW, asoomal, I dont understand how you got the floor out in one piece like that? isnt it welded down? did you cut it around the edge? damn that must have taken a long time. I think I would go crazy trying to take on a project like this... One more question, you said you use "phosphoric acid" on the bare metal to prep it after the rust has been taken off to bare metal. Whats your total process after you've grinded down to bare metal to cover it up to avoid rust in the future? if you dont mind me asking...
Just like how Hijacker said, by drilling out the spot welds :chuckle:

However, I didn't drill out the ones on the sides, where it's welded to the inner sill, my drill wouldn't fit there so I cut it around the sides and drill out the welds on the front and the back of the floor.

The phosphoric acid (Rust Mort, Osphos, Picklex 20, etc) etches the surfaces, prevents it from rusting just like how m tr4nch said. It's best to sand it off when painting if you're going to be using a self etching primer or any other primers with acid in it (SPI Epoxy, etc).

To prevent...or at least slow down future rust, I'll be brushing and rolling this stuff on: http://protective.sherwin-williams.com/ ... oduct-6841

And also use some weld through primer, 2 part epoxy based seam sealer, and a s*** ton of cavity wax...probably Noxudol or 3M.

@ Hijacker:

I prefer these ones over the hole saw type, don't have to grind the middle of the weld with these ;)

Hijacker
'94 F-150

Eastwood makes the type you linked, right?

asoomal

I believe so. I picked mine up from a local store, made by Norseman.

They're 5/16 btw.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I've tried drilling welds, but it seems like whenever I do, the 2 panels are held together with either rust, sealer, some other type of chemical bonding, or just plain witchcraft.

asoomal

Try using one of these

Makes the job A LOT easier.

asoomal

Updatesss!!

Rear driver side inner fender area

Rear passenger side inner fender area. There was a lot of water in there, had to remove the rubber plug (lower left hole).

Welded some angle iron to keep the front members straight.

Removed the front member closing plate.

-_-

The squares are the pieces I cut out with a dremel because the spot welds for the inner brace and bracket were oval shaped.

No coating from the factory where the two pieces were welded together.

This is the bracket/brace thing that gets welded to the inside of the frame member and where the tension control rod brackets bolt on to.

Again no coating, some weird oily residue.

Sanded some of the paint off.

Factory spot weld locations :wtf2:

Another brace in there that needs to get taken apart and checked for rust.

Started to work on the braces/brackets.

More cutting and welding.

Tack welded to keep it from warping.

Welded and grinded smooth.

A few more small sections.

And the top part as well.

Had to weld in smaller sections in order to prevent warping.

Now to the middle frame members. The undercoated member is the one I will be replacing, it's the front driver side one. Only 2 spot welds on the bottom of it lol.

And it's off!

The dark, brownish spot is another bad factory spot weld!

Without the driver side frame rail.

Decided to remove the whole frame rail/member assembly since there was a bit of rust in there.

I'm going to weld the rail and the member together and then weld it to the car. Makes it easier for me to paint the welded areas in the rail. You could actually buy the passenger side from Nissan as a whole assembly.

Lines up perfectly.

Driver side frame member closing plate. That bracket you see on the middle of the plate is where the bolts go for the cross member.

Flipped around.

Welds drilled out.

After some careful prying, it came off =)

Now to deal with those squares I cut out.

Backside pic, looks like some areas didn't fully penetrate.

Grinded smooth

Drilled out 1/4" holes for the plug welds. According to the S13 Body repair manual, they want you to drill out the holes to 5-6mm...close enough.

Dealing with the other side of the plate, gotta make sure to keep the alignments holes there.

Galvanneal sure does weld nice and easy.

Grinded it a bit and drilled out the holes for the plug welds.

Old metal on top. Used it to mark the locations for the plug welds.

Here's the old rotten frame rail.

Looks like the iron is going back to it's natural state.

So I found a supplier for high strength sheet metal and bought some metal. Turns out there was a supplier 5 minutes away, spent a lot of time trying to find stuff online. It's high strength Galvanneal, around 50-60 ksi tensile strength according to the salesman. However, I had to buy 4x8 sheets :tisk: , but I was able to get the sheets sheared down to 1x2's. Each stack is a different grade, from 16Ga-22Ga.

Sitting on top of the braces that run from sill to sill.

Also cut out the rusted section on the lower firewall.

This is the top of the driver side frame member, where the wheel well is. Those spot welds are for the brace that has the bolts for the tension control rod bracket, look at how close they are to the edge :tisk: I had to grind the welds off with a dremel from the inside, not fun.

Decided to fill the smaller holes with weld and used an old computer heatsink as a backing pad. The weld won't stick to the aluminum.

I also stripped the paint off the strut tower assembly.

Now back to the lower firewall rust I cut out.

Backside of the clamp.

Slowly tack welded it and clamped it at various locations in order to bend it to the right shape.

Cut out another section above the section I just welded.

Grinded the weld beads with a dremel.

I had to remove this piece as well to work on the other sections of the firewall, just 5 spot welds.

Sound deadner in there, no wonder it wouldn't come off lol.

:biggrin:

m tr4nch

hooooly s*** dude. great work! :dblthumb:
that seam buster thing is genius, wish i knew about that when i was digging into my car. i used the ol' hammer and screw driver/chisel method lol.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

mother of god!
How many grinding discs have you gone through?

Hijacker
'94 F-150

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:mother of god!
How many grinding discs have you gone through?
He should probably buy stock in 3M.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”