My Obligatory Window Tint Photo Thread

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

I'm posting up a new thread here to address TimGinCentralNJ's request for more pics of my EX's window tint. I'm making a new thread because I didn't want to the "What did you buy for your EX, this week?" thread to get too cluttered up and off topic. I usually don't care to post random photos of my cars, as I don't think my vehicles are anything special. But since someone requested them and the fact that they may be helpful to someone on the forum, I'll willingly oblige. After all, I think the purpose of forums like this is to share information to help others :) . I'm not looking for comments/replies, but nonetheless they are still always welcome.

Here's the first photo I took in April on a heavy overcast day, I think 2 weeks after the tint job.

The following are pictures from today from my phone. I took them in the morning under the partial shade of some trees where I like to park. As you can see, the weather was partly cloudy.

Sun side:

Shade side:

Rear hatch:

TimGinCentralNJ
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX Journey AWD

Thanks amigo. Much appreciated! :)

TimGinCentralNJ

NJGuy-

Apologies if I'm belaboring this post (heh heh), but can you pls confirm your tint darkness? 50% front sides and 35% on rear sides and back window maybe? Am very much liking this. I need to start calling around to source a good shop. May even have my 740 done!

Thanks!
Tim

NJGuy

TimGinCentralNJ wrote:NJGuy-

Apologies if I'm belaboring this post (heh heh), but can you pls confirm your tint darkness? 50% front sides and 35% on rear sides and back window maybe? Am very much liking this. I need to start calling around to source a good shop. May even have my 740 done!

Thanks!
Tim
I had the following done: 50% front door windows, 38% rear door windows, and 20% rear liftgate window. I probably would have gone with 70% on the front windows had they offered it.

If you're looking for a shop that specializes window tinting, maybe you'll want to check the tint shop listing section on the tintdude website: http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php/forum/324-usa/
These places will probably have more selection in terms of brands and types of tint film. The only downsides I see are that 1) you likely won't know the shop's reputation, as the forum does not have much commentary on them, and 2) you'll probably have to drive further out of your area to get to one of those shops. I'm not sure how much of a factor convenience is for you.

You might also want to keep in mind that factory glass typically has a VLT of 76-78%. So that'll add to (technically it will multiply) the total VLT as well when the film is applied.

TimGinCentralNJ

NJGuy wrote:
I had the following done: 50% front door windows, 38% rear door windows, and 20% rear liftgate window. I probably would have gone with 70% on the front windows had they offered it.

If you're looking for a shop that specializes window tinting, maybe you'll want to check the tint shop listing section on the tintdude website: http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php/forum/324-usa/
These places will probably have more selection in terms of brands and types of tint film. The only downsides I see are that 1) you likely won't know the shop's reputation, as the forum does not have much commentary on them, and 2) you'll probably have to drive further out of your area to get to one of those shops. I'm not sure how much of a factor convenience is for you.

You might also want to keep in mind that factory glass typically has a VLT of 76-78%. So that'll add to (technically it will multiply) the total VLT as well when the film is applied.
Thanks for the info. I like your idea of the gradient tint levels going from front to rear. Was that just an aesthetic effect so that the fronts didn't contrast as much with the darker rear glass--or was there another reason you did this?

Also, obviously our annual vehicle safety inspections are a thing of the past, but have you gotten any kind of hassle from the police about your front side windows being tinted? I think this is one of the biggest rackets in NJ. Over the last several years, I have asked a total of 8 different law enforcement officers about the tint laws in NJ. Some state, some local, and 4 of them have told me front side tint is legal as long as it's not too dark, 2 told me it was totally illegal, and 2 weren't sure and never pulled anyone over for it. I also asked one of the other members of a BMW forum I belong to who had worked at one of the former DMV inspection stations up in North Jersey to see if they ever failed cars for having tint up front, and he said no. Makes perfect sense if you drive around and see how many cars and SUVs have front tint in this state, and yet it's technically illegal. :crazy:

I did spend about an hour yesterday scouring the 'net for a local, reputable tint shop in my area, but didn't really locate one I was crazy about. There's one down in Raritan which I know my local BMW dealer uses for all their cars, so I may give them a shot.

Thanks again for all the information!
Tim

NJGuy

TimGinCentralNJ wrote:Thanks for the info. I like your idea of the gradient tint levels going from front to rear. Was that just an aesthetic effect so that the fronts didn't contrast as much with the darker rear glass--or was there another reason you did this?
I wanted to go as light as I could up front to reduce the likelihood of attracting attention from law enforcement. Like I said, I would have gone with a 70% film up front if given the option. I went a little bit darker on the rear doors, but my wife was a bit concerned about being able to see out at night; so I didn't want to go too dark there. The small side windows by the cargo area appear darker because there's not a lot of light coming through them to begin with.

I went a bit darker on the rear liftgate to help conceal stuff in the cargo area.

I primarily got the tint for the comfort of the occupants. To me, the aesthetics of the tint are just a small, secondary benefit.
TimGinCentralNJ wrote:

Also, obviously our annual vehicle safety inspections are a thing of the past, but have you gotten any kind of hassle from the police about your front side windows being tinted? I think this is one of the biggest rackets in NJ. Over the last several years, I have asked a total of 8 different law enforcement officers about the tint laws in NJ. Some state, some local, and 4 of them have told me front side tint is legal as long as it's not too dark, 2 told me it was totally illegal, and 2 weren't sure and never pulled anyone over for it. I also asked one of the other members of a BMW forum I belong to who had worked at one of the former DMV inspection stations up in North Jersey to see if they ever failed cars for having tint up front, and he said no. Makes perfect sense if you drive around and see how many cars and SUVs have front tint in this state, and yet it's technically illegal. :crazy:
Hopefully my luck doesn't run out (knock on wood), but the LEOs haven't bothered me so far about the tint. Yes, tinting the 2 front windows is technically illegal. Run-ins with police will depend on how cool they are in your area or how much serious activity they actually have to deal with on a daily basis.

Prior to the cancellation of the state's mandatory safety inspections, the private vehicle inspection stations may or may not have cared about window tint. They were probably happy enough to collect the inspection fee to help pay for their emissions testing equipment. Years back, I did try go go to a private place near my house with my old car, but they were not comfortable with the window tint. So I eventually removed it from the front windows.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”