my mommas 86 z31 [post your z31 pics]

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
ryan516
Car: soon to be an s13

so my mom owns a 300zx turbo GLE

its black and gold 2 tone with the turbo graphics. automatic, 89k miles

this thing is quick with a vg30 motor and a gl-1 turbo. and it has that sweet little turbo toggle switch, and electronic variable suspension.

everything is stock my mom is hoping to enter it as a show car, for best oem.

its very clean. need some pant though. im not sure as to weather shes keeping the 2 tone.

i love driving this car. the driving position is very different seeing as your so far to the left.

i hope to own this someday when my mom cant drive fast cars anymore. but knowing her shell be that 90 year old in the z31 hahaha.

im into the 240s myself hearing all the stories of her old 280z`s and how she used to street rally them.

when i get ths car i plan to do a manual swap [is it a 5 or 6 spd?]

and upgrade the cooling system and maybe intake exhaust turbo and swaybars. but nothing toooo major. she plans on getting an MSA bodykit for it. not sure which one though.

tell me what you think =D

post up your z31!

http://img185.imageshack.us/my...2.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/my...9.jpg

http://img222.imageshack.us/my...6.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/my...2.jpg

http://img135.imageshack.us/my...3.jpg

http://img237.imageshack.us/my...8.jpg

NissanFairladyZ32
Car: 91, Twin Turbo, 99 Miata 1.8L

i wish my z31 was that clean

too bad my z32 is cleaner

xdtrl
Car: 1987 Nissan 300zx Turbo

Both rides are pretty sharp. And Ryan could you get a pic of the engine?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

looks clean, but appears to be missing some striping on the RF fender,a nd the interior could use a bit of attention, bit still better looking tham my turds

Perrenial Badass
Car: 1973 240Z, 1986 300ZX, 1987 300ZX, 1984 Corvette

Looks good, I didn't realize that they made black and gold ones like that. I've seen the two tone ones with silver on the bottom, but not gold.

AZ-ZBum
Car: 05 Murano, 84 Z31 AE, 88 Z31 Vert

ryan516 wrote: so my mom owns a 300zx turbo GLE

its black and gold 2 tone with the turbo graphics. automatic, 89k miles

this thing is quick with a vg30 motor and a gl-1 turbo. and it has that sweet little turbo toggle switch, and electronic variable suspension.
1. That's a 1985 model.2. That's a GL model. No such thing as a GLE.3. The turbo is a Garrett T3.4. What is a "turbo toggle switch"?

ryan516

AZ-ZBum wrote:1. That's a 1985 model.2. That's a GL model. No such thing as a GLE.3. The turbo is a Garrett T3.4. What is a "turbo toggle switch"?
the pink slip and owners manual read 86 im almost 100% positive

i just put the turbo thats listed in the owners manual

i didnt know they had t3`s in the z31

and the turbo toggle switch it just a switch you use to turn the turbo on or off.

in the off position i think it still runs just al super low boost till you turn it on again. im not sure if others have this ive only been in this z.

ill post engine pics when i get back in nh.

but its not going to be clean due to the winter and it being in the garage.

this is also the only black and gold ive ever seen. and yeah we are going to redo the interior work and fix the pinstripes. my mom plans on running the MSA kit but i hope she keeps the 2 tone when she does the paint

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Z bum is of course correct, I didn't bother reading I was just looking at the car pron some states will title cars for different years on occasion, there were quite a few 1970 240z's that got titled as 69's, but all 86's had a spoiler mounted thrid brake light, and different frotn fenders and side mouldings

and yeah no turbo switch, as a matter of fact the boost on the z31 has zero electronic interfase so it's not possible to regulate the boost with a swithc without adding an alectronic boost controller

ryan516

evildky wrote:Z bum is of course correct, I didn't bother reading I was just looking at the car pron some states will title cars for different years on occasion, there were quite a few 1970 240z's that got titled as 69's, but all 86's had a spoiler mounted thrid brake light, and different frotn fenders and side mouldings

and yeah no turbo switch, as a matter of fact the boost on the z31 has zero electronic interfase so it's not possible to regulate the boost with a swithc without adding an alectronic boost controller
well when the switch it off the turbo dosent spool up. then you turn it on and it functions as normal.

i dont know if theres some kind of bypass but yeah

the turbo switch does work. when its off the car feels normal then when its on it becomes this beast that tears your face off hahah

AZ-ZBum

ryan516 wrote:the pink slip and owners manual read 86 im almost 100% positive
And I'm 100% sure that the car you posted pictures of is a 1985 Nissan 300ZX turbo. There is NO mistaking it for a 1986.
ryan516 wrote:i just put the turbo thats listed in the owners manual
And on which page are you finding this information? I have owners manuals for every year Z31 and couldn't find anything in any of them about which turbo the car came equipped with.
ryan516 wrote:i didnt know they had t3`s in the z31
And now you do. You're welcome.
ryan516 wrote:and the turbo toggle switch it just a switch you use to turn the turbo on or off.
There is no such switch that ever came equipped in the Z31. Matter of fact, I know of no car on earth that came equipped with a switch that allows you to turn the turbo off.
ryan516 wrote:in the off position i think it still runs just al super low boost till you turn it on again. im not sure if others have this ive only been in this z.
Please take a picture of said switch and I'll tell you what it's for.
ryan516 wrote:ill post engine pics when i get back in nh.

but its not going to be clean due to the winter and it being in the garage.
I don't think anyone really cares if it's dirty or not. We aren't a concourse judging system here. As long as it looks presentable and wires aren't hacked and everything is covered in rust, you'll probably get another round of thumbs-ups.
ryan516 wrote:this is also the only black and gold ive ever seen. and yeah we are going to redo the interior work and fix the pinstripes. my mom plans on running the MSA kit but i hope she keeps the 2 tone when she does the paint
It is a VERY rare color combination. Nissan didn't do too many two tone paint schemes on the Z31s. Only the 50th Anniversary Editions were done in any sort of real numbers. And then, there were less than 5,500 of them. The gold/black combination was only done for 977 of them, the majority being turbos.

You should get the VIN and add it to the 300ZX registry:http://www.az-zbum.com/cgi-bin/z31owner.pl

This will also help determine the actual production month/year as well as the original color code.

If she really hopes to show the car in OEM class, then she'll need to put the original stereo back in as well as forget about any sort of body kit ever.

ryan516

alright ill get pictures of the switch engine and ill post the vin.

the bodykit is a long way off. so no worries, and i read the info on the motor and turbo off this piece of paper in the owners manual.

but yeah i posted about to to learn more obv. so this will all help out

minnesotazcar
Car: 1972 dautsun 240z

hey nice car man, Aren't there a few cars out there with a premium and regular gas setting where it will turn down the boost if your only able to buy regular..

AZ-ZBum

minnesotazcar wrote:hey nice car man, Aren't there a few cars out there with a premium and regular gas setting where it will turn down the boost if your only able to buy regular..
The Z31 isn't one of them. All Z31s were designed to run on regular unleaded fuel. 87 octane is all that's required for any stock Z31.

noobdrftr
Car: of crap...just pure crap

wow that is clean

ryan516

noobdrftr wrote:wow that is clean
why thank you

we got lucky. some trucker had it for his son but his son didnt like it [no clue why]

the only real problem is a rusty gas tank.i changed the fuel filter one day and i was like, since when is fuel orange?

then the oh damnn set in.

so now we`re getting a new tank and replacing the lines and filters and pumps.

it runs like amazing after you replace he filter. but it clogs up again by the end of the day.

how much would a manual swap be for this car? and can anyone direct me to some good aftermarket sites for them?=]

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”