My KA24E won't start!!!

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
apex_240sx
Car: car performance and high end car audio

alright guys, it's me again....well, i did all the things you guys told me in my last post....i've checked the exhaust piping..it's okay. ive checked the injector pulse, that's fine. distributor is fine, plug wires are fine, plugs are brand new, and the engine is getting fuel just fine. when i turn the key, the engine turns over, but it doesn't start. it's just like trying to start a car in sub-zero temperatures, except the fact that it's 25-30 degrees celcius above (that'd be about 80-90 farenheit). to me it seems like theres just one stupid thing stopping the engine from starting, but i can't figure out what it is....any more help would be great...thx guys

:help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help

apex_240sx

Okay guys, it's me here again and i just found something that could be really really bad for the engine. I was looking under the car and i noticed halfway between the catalyitic converter and the muffler, a large section of the exhaust piping (bout a 2 foot section) was coated in engine oil on the outside!!! Please note that this is the closest part of the exhaust pipe to the ground, so i'm thinking that there could be oil sitting in my piping, and somehow it's leaking outside the piping. That's just my theory. Does anyone else know what could cause the oil on the outside. Clearly oil on the inside is the fact that i more then likely have a blown exhaust manifold gasket...but that got me thinking since the fact that the compression test came back saying that each cylinder was doing 130-135 psi. i'm clueless right now.....plz help....thanx

:help :help :help :help :help :help :help

apex_240sx

Oh, also please note that i don't know for a fact that there is oil on the inside, just on the outside right now.

KwayKer
Car: My car, video games, sports

my car wouldnt start a few months ago. it would start every now and then, but i had to try a few times, and sometimes it wouldnt start at all. I had the positive battery terminal and all the connections, replaced, and re-done. This fixed the problem. I dont think you are having the same problem, but you could check your connections to the positive terminal.

apex_240sx

ya, i've already done so....i've got an Optima Red Top battery (1000 cranking amps) and i replaced the sh!tty old ground wire with rockford fosgate 2 gauge wire and i polished the terminals with sand paper to get every bit of corrosion gone (even tho there wasnt any really) but just to make sure i did that anyways...and i still got nothin

but thanks for the advice

YochTown240

This is the same problem i had dude cept without the oil u were talkin about but i think its my timing chain...when ur car is cold and u start it do u ever hear a rattling noise then it goes away or ever hear it when u drive?? well the 240s have plastic guides for the chain and they brake eventually and need replacing causin your chain to be offline and lack power...mine does this and ive checked out EVERYTHIN else and every so often my car wont start. i strongly believe i need new guides so im changing mine in 2weeks so ill let u know...but your problem sound exactly like mine wants to start cant and everything else works,fixed or has been changed also since u have the same motor as i do. just my thoughts...

apex_240sx

ya...it is definitly not the timing chain cuz the mechanics shop that i initially got the car towed to checked the timing first off...and they said it was 100% perfect...but thanks for the help

AunVoh

do you know for a fact the spark plugs are getting power? or do you just think they are? you should pull out each plug and check them to make sure.

apex_240sx

yes, i do know for sure that the plugs are getting spark. each one was tested individually

AunVoh

so their getting spark and gas... and it still won't start?

apex_240sx

yup.....spark plugs have been tested and are sparking correctly....and the fuel system is running properly...and engine won't fire

fuzion
Car: Cars.. Web/graphic design.. Yuppp

turn your dist. cap 180 degrees :)

Seriously, I did the headgasket on my 93, went to start it, it would turn over, cough a little but nothin else

According to the chiltons manual everything was fine, I had it towed to the shop, they told me timing was slightly off and the cap was off by 180.. Only cost $300

bastards.

Anyways, just make sure everything is lined up correctly.. Well actually dont because I lined all of my stuff up correctly and it was wrong.. so yeah anywho

Try tweakin w/ the distributor or somethin

crypt2k
Car: cars, women, what else.

my 90 has the same problem ill play around with the distributor tomorrow morning, you guyz got any tips of what to do?

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

I'm having the same problem, except mine eventually starts every time...it just takes a minute or two. As soon as it starts, it runs perfectly and as long as the motor has been run recently, the damn thing starts up pretty easily.

Somebody help me....I've had this damn thing for 8 months and this the last problem left to fix. It tries to start every time, but just won't turn over until I'm about to give up.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”