My fix for a 2001 - 2004 Frontier tailgate latch that won't catch

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

The tailgate handle on my Frontier messed up on Sunday. It behaved as if it was locked regardless of the key position. I took off the access plate and heard something drop into the tailgate. There's a yellow arrow pointing to a pin that keeps the mechanism that slides when the lock is turned from flopping down, and that's what broke on my handle. So I ordered a new aftermarket handle assembly off of eBay for about $40, and installed it.

After installing it, I found that the handle still wouldn't catch about half the time when it was unlocked. The sliding mechanism was sliding on top of the other metal part on the left that twists to pull the two latch rods, rather than fitting in to the groove. What I finally figured out was that the metal part that's highlighted with the red arrow has to push somewhat tightly down on the slider to keep it in place. Not so tight that it binds, but tight enough to keep it from flopping around. With the correct tension, it works right every time - at least so far :D

Hopefully this will help someone down the road.

LauraM
Car: Nissan Frontier 2002 XE V6 Longbed CREW CAB

Thanks for your picture. I didn't expect to find a picture under an INFINITI CLUB Forum but was happy to find it. I am a member of the the xterra and frontier club forums which were also helpful BUT your Regular Picture allowed me to ensure my "jury rig" and adjustment was correct before I reinstalled. Would like to suggest using a blow dryer on warm before removing the entire unit and then again on the unit to remove the metal dowels from the plastic clips. Later after the repair I recommend reinstalling the clips first into the tailgate and placing the dowels in each of the four holes so the alignment is easier for re-insertion. I added a bit of glue into the holes first and then hammared gently but hold the metal dowels with large pliers so you hammer the pliers instead of the point of the dowel. I also bought a grease tube at AutoZone to apply to the lock and mechanical mechanism and lubed it well before placing it back in the tailgate. MY DAMAGE/REPAIR required I place a BOLT where the plastic long piece stabilizes the moving part of the lock as mine was completely missing and not inside the tailgate. I also applied glue into the hole and using pliers, screwed the bolt into the place where the white plastic dowel used to be and it fixed the problem. So glad I didn't waste any money on any parts and was able to complete the project myself with help of your post and others. SYMPTOMS for mine before repair was the tailgate occasionally locking itself and then it finally locked and would not open. None of the other plastic pieces were compromised nor was the handle so removing the entire unit after releasing the two bars and the two nuts allowed me to play with it and trouble shoot it.

Frontcountry
Car: 2004 Frontier

Hi Laura, do you know what size/type of bolt you used in place of the white plastic dowel?

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”