My first G35 and newly purchased bad luck

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
rx-7ames
Car: 06 G35 Coupe

So I had a paid off boring Nissan Altima coupe and thought it would be a good idea to trade it in for something a little more fun. I got a good deal on a higher mileage (86k miles) 06 G35 coupe and a great deal on my Altima for trade in. I made the purchase yesterday. Today my wife got in from out of town and I wanted to take her out. When I started the car I noticed the gauges were not working. Not only did the gauge lights not come one, but the tachometer and other gauges did not move at all. I figured it was a fuse and I was only planning on going for a short ride so down the street we went. About one mile away, I guess the car went into limp mode. I couldn't go more than a few miles per hour and limped my way home. After that I checked all the fuses in 3 different locations but didn't find any bad fuses.

I am so upset that I spent good money on a car and it has already broken down. I know the risks with high mileage cars but I guess I didn't expect something like this so soon. I did something I have never done before though. I purchased an extended warranty through a company arranged by my bank. It seemed like a decent deal since the car had so many miles on it. It also seemed like it covered a lot of different parts. I hope whatever is wrong is covered. I would hate to spend so much money on a car I just bought. I heard the warranties can take a while to go into effect though. I hope I don't have to wait too long.

Anyway, I am hopeful that this is not the beginning of a long list of problems. One of the main reasons I felt comfortable purchasing the car is because the carfax report showed that all maintenance was done on time with the Infiniti dealer. Wish me luck in getting my new car back on the road.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Have it towed to the dealer. You'll quickly find out how good your newly purchased warranty it.
Did you have the vehicle inspected and had the VIN number run at the dealer prior to purchase?
Good luck

Telcoman

rx-7ames

Yeah, I plan on havingbit towed to the dealer as soon as I get all my warranty information. I guess that was $1700 well spent. I could I've gone with 1 year for 1,100 but 2 years for $600 more seemed like it was worth it.

To answer your question, I didn't take it to the dealer. Maybe I should have at least called them with the VIN. With complete service records and the extended warranty I might have felt a little over confident.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Return it and demand your money back

s415
Car: G35

I'm in the same boat. I purchased my car last month on the 5th. Fast forward to this month my transmission is having problems. Looks like I'll need a New one. Bought the car from a franchise dealership, however it wasn't an infiniti dealership. Bought "as is" to. Yet I purchased warranty from my credit union who did my financing. Now my car got towed to an infiniti dealership n their working on a claim with the warranty hopefully everything works out. Is there any law in CA were it would protect the buyer from this? I mean how did my transmission go from well to bad in such a short time.

telcoman

^^^^^^^
Sorry to hear

So we have two recent used vehicle purchases with major problems.

When the wife and I purchased our first home over 40 years ago we had the house inspected by a licensed home inspector.
We also paid for a termite inspection.
In addition, we hired an attorney to insure there were no liens against the property and oversee all of the paperwork that entails a real estate purchase.

I find it hard to understand why you and the OP make an expensive used vehicle purchase and fail to spend the money to have the vehicle thoroughly checked out by an Infiniti dealer including running the VIN number prior to making such an expensive purchase?

There were over 400k damaged vehicles just from Hurricane Sandy and countless others from other floods, accidents, etc. Most of these vehicles are sent to auctions, many have salvage titles and are purchased on the cheap, sent to other states with lax title regulations, get the titles washed and resold to unsuspecting buyers.

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Caveat Emptor

Good luck

Telcoman

rx-7ames

I think I am overdue to update this forum. Telcoman, thank you for your words of wisdom, but I test drove so many of these cars before I chose this one. While I know it would be smart to pay a dealer a couple hundred dollars to check out the car before I made a purchase, it would have been impossible for me to do that to this car and the 4 others I also considered buying. I don't know how to justify spending several hundred dollars on a bunch of cars that I didn't even own.

Anyway, after dropping it off at the dealer, they came back and told me that the plug on the back of the instrument cluster came unplugged. They plugged it back in and test drove it a few times for a few days. The problem never came back so they gave it back to me. It cost me a $140 diagnostic fee. It makes me wish I had taken the panel out myself, but hindsight is 20/20. Now on to the other problems I am having. See you in another post.

Dukie Babe
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe

I'm another guy who purchased an 06 G35 coupe in Dec from an Infiniti dealership. I did my homework. It was a one owner with 79,800 miles on it, which is low mileage by current standards. It's an automatic and is nearly immaculate. Received a Carfax that was not only clean, it had every service ever done.
Here in Kentucky the dealer is required to supply contact info for the previous owner, so I asked and got it. I immediately called and the girl I spoke with purchased it new. Never wrecked, never any mechanical issues, and the only external work ever done was a repainting of the front bumper due to rocks, sand, etc pitting it. She said all of her service except some oil changes were done at the dealer. She traded it in for an Infiniti SUV due to a job change that required more travel in all types of weather.
I also purchased a 3 yr/30,000 miles extended warranty. I ended up using it in the first 45 days. I smelled what seemed to be hot oil, so I took it to the dealer. I asked them to do an oil change and checkout the smell. It turned out to be a leaking valve cover gasket.
They said it was covered so i left it and they replaced both of them. They also gave me a new Q50 to drive until it was ready.
I picked up my car and when I was about 20 miles away the SES light came on. I called the service tech and he said it was probably some electrical connection that may have not been reattached properly during the service and he'd have it checked out.
This time the loaner was a 2014 G37x. I got a call saying it was the driver side catalytic converter and it is not covered under my warranty. The repair at the dealer is $1600 total.
Federal Law states that catalytic converters are warrantied for 8 years/80,000 miles. Car is 8 months past 8 years and 3000 miles past 80k. Infiniti refused to cover it, so I'm purchasing a pair of bolt-in replacements from Stillen for less than $600. I'm thinking an exhaust shop should be be to install them for about $100.
So far I love the car and have no regrets about the purchase.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

While I trust Infiniti vehicles I don't trust used vehicles as far as I can throw them. I make it a point to never purchase a used vehicle that is past the point of the full factory warranty. Hell, the '07 G35s I bought had 40k on it AND the SES light was on when I bought it. Got home and dropped it off at my local dealership and they fixed it all up under warranty. Took the time to go ahead and have all fluids changed since I had no idea what maintenance had been done. Kept the car until it had 120k on it and traded it last year on my Q50. Only had to replace brakes, a battery, and get an alternator replaced in the 85k miles I put on it.

rx-7ames

audtatious wrote:I make it a point to never purchase a used vehicle that is past the point of the full factory warranty.
That sounds like a good plan. I'm not anywhere near close to being able to afford such a car yet. Maybe some day. Until then I guess I will have to keep gamb|ing with older vehicles. At least I have my trusty Silverado which was cheap and has never let me down.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Understood. You have to start somewhere. :)

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”