My car was backed into...thoughts?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

So, someone backed into my car and cracked my grill and the top of the bumper right next to the grill. Luckily my hood, lights, etc. weren't touched...just the force of the grill flexing cracked the bumper. Otherwise could have gotten expensive REAL quick.

I'm going to take the opportunity to get the midnight grill or whatever most likely but my question is more for the bumper...can this be fixed literally good as new or will a shop likely bondo it and it could crack in 2-3 years?

So my options are:

Option A: Bumper can be repaired
  1. Buy Midnight Black Grill (F2310-1MA00)
  2. Have bumper repaired/repainted if it will be as good as new and last 10 years (although I won't have the car that long)
Option A Cost: $173 + body work

Option B: Bumper not worth repairing
  1. Buy OEM Grill (62310-1MA1B) and paint black with plastidip since the midnight grill doesn't fit the sport bumper
  2. Buy OEM Sport Bumper (02022-1MJ0H) and all of the other necessary bits
Option B Cost: $900 + paint

Pictures:

PostalsQ

I don't believe your bumper can be plastic welded back together. Deep scratches are one thing. Full cracks are another. Might be time for an Infiniti Aero bumper? I need to repair my rear bumper. Deep scratch. But not cracked like yours. Hope the other party stayed and didn't leave the scene.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Other party did stay but I know them so I'm not sure if I'll make em pay or not lol.

And I hate the aero bumper...if anything I'll go sport bumper. The aero bumper is gaudy AF to me lol.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Option B.

They should've offered to make it right for you. Ask them nicely to contribute something as a gesture of good will.

PostalsQ

I agree with Rogue. Friends or not. They are ultimately responsible.

Ilya. I read your not going to keep the car for long. But wouldn't the better bumper add or be on the higher end of KBB?

If you ultimately foot the bill. Option A.

PostalsQ

Ilya, any chance you can post a picture or link of the sport bumper your talking about? Did a search. Not sure of what your referring to. So you've peaked my curiosity.

ArmedAviator
Car: 2012 M37x

Get a new bumper on the other party's dime. Your friend should consider this a lesson in proper situational awareness.

Ilya

This isn't just a friend, family member hah. I'm probably going to end up splitting the bill.

jmissile
Car: 2011 m56s

Ilya wrote:And I hate the aero bumper...if anything I'll go sport bumper. The aero bumper is gaudy AF to me lol.
True statement right there

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

jmissile wrote:
Ilya wrote:And I hate the aero bumper...if anything I'll go sport bumper. The aero bumper is gaudy AF to me lol.
True statement right there
X3

Ilya

PostalsQ wrote:Ilya, any chance you can post a picture or link of the sport bumper your talking about? Did a search. Not sure of what your referring to. So you've peaked my curiosity.
Non-Sport Bumper:

Sport Bumper:

Aero Bumper:

Ilya

I've decided I'm going to likely go option A because I can't justify $1,000+ right now to change to a sport setup since I'd need all of the other trimmings. I can't in good conscience make the other party pay for all of the damage because they've previously helped me in life financially without expecting anything back so I will likely just make them pay for the grill and I'll pay the rest of the repair bill as unfortunate as that is.

Also, I want to use some of the money I'm throwing at this issue anyway to fix some prior blemishes on the bumper at the bottom and maybe my rear bumper too (stupid nicks and scratches). Also have a tiny rust spot starting on my passenger quarter panel not far from the bumper so maybe they can fix and blend everything all at once.

Unless of course it costs me $800 to fix the other spots on the front bumper too...then I might as well go sport bumper and just pay for paint. We'll see, but likely going to go option A. Either way other party is going to pay $200 for the grill and I'll see what the rest will run me. Going to a shop tomorrow after work to get a quote and decide.

PostalsQ

Thanks for the clarification. For some reason I thought there was an aftermarket Sport bumper. I personally like the AimGain bumper.

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

Ilia, the midnight black grill fits all three bumpers. For some odd reason originally this option was not available with the sport package ( from the factory) and that's how it's been listed, but it's the same part, just black.

Ilya

Mjkkb2 wrote:Ilia, the midnight black grill fits all three bumpers. For some odd reason originally this option was not available with the sport package ( from the factory) and that's how it's been listed, but it's the same part, just black.
You sure? I saw that mentioned in another thread here and it was delineated on the various parts sites (sports package w/ w/out, etc.). That would save me a few bucks from getting a sports grill which is like $250 so that helps a bit. They do look identical in the photos.

DoN_BLaZe34
Car: 2007 M45 Sport - Sold
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

All the grilles are the same for the 3 bumpers. No idea why Infiniti "markets" the midnight grille as if it's different

Ilya

I went ahead and ordered the midnight grille...found it for $94 after shipping from Parts.com. Should be here in 5-7 days I guess. Going to have the car looked at by a shop here after work today to get the final tally.

DHCrocks
Car: 2012 M56S
2004 G35 Coupe

the stock grill has chrome bars
the sport grill has gunmetal bars
the midnight grill has black bars

Ilya

I got the quote for the work.

Fixing JUST the mishap will be $300 + tax.
Fixing a small little chip in my passenger fender by the headlight and some other dings on the front bumper will be an additional $500.
Fixing the first two plus some dings on my rear bumper will be an additional $300.

Me thinks I'm going to spend the $1,100 (might try to talk them down to an even $1k) and just get all of the stuff fixed...I definitely want to take care of the first two as the 2nd rust spot could worsen in theory.

However...a sport bumper and all it's trimmings, I think I saw today, can be had for $850...so I might just go sport after all and pay for them to paint which will be like another $150-200...hmmm...

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Ilya wrote: However...a sport bumper and all it's trimmings, I think I saw today, can be had for $850...so I might just go sport after all and pay for them to paint which will be like another $150-200...hmmm...
Seems like you could get a used sport bumper that's not too bad + all the extra bits for less. Go for the sport bumper - I think it looks way better than the standard one. Of course I'm biased since I've got the sport model :biggrin:

Ilya

pedsemdoc wrote:
Ilya wrote: However...a sport bumper and all it's trimmings, I think I saw today, can be had for $850...so I might just go sport after all and pay for them to paint which will be like another $150-200...hmmm...
Seems like you could get a used sport bumper that's not too bad + all the extra bits for less. Go for the sport bumper - I think it looks way better than the standard one. Of course I'm biased since I've got the sport model :biggrin:
Cheapest I see on eBay is $400 unless there is another place to get them?

Ilya

Parts.com cancelled my grille order because the 'participating dealership' couldn't source the parts. Sucks...$94 was $80 then the next cheapest place...looks like I gotta spend $175 now. I'm not too mad though, evidently Parts.com has some TERRIBLE reviews that I didn't see before (their site went COMPLETELY offline yesterday so I started digging around). Shoddy company.

EDIT: Found one on eBay for $105 from an Infiniti dealership.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLEARANCE-2011- ... p=mtr#rwid

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

That's cheap. I paid twice as much.
If you can get the whole bumper painted for less than $200 then go for it. When I damaged my sport front bumper I decided to go with aero after learning how much it cost to have a new bumper painted by a body shop. After all said and done it wouldn't be any cheaper than just buying a new aero bumper.
Good luck.

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Mjkkb2 wrote:That's cheap. I paid twice as much.
If you can get the whole bumper painted for less than $200 then go for it. When I damaged my sport front bumper I decided to go with aero after learning how much it cost to have a new bumper painted by a body shop. After all said and done it wouldn't be any cheaper than just buying a new aero bumper.
Good luck.
you're probably right, especially if you have a pearlized color vs tradional, eg. need base coat, mid coat (shiny flecks), then clear. At least you don't have to worry about blending, like if it was in the middle of a door panel..seems like a lot less hassle to just prep the entire bumper and then spray the whole thing versus spraying a small section and then blending/feathering it out

Ilya

Problem is the cheapest bumper I see is like $385 on eBay. I can't find any used ones for $200-250. There was one guy on here who I almost bought one from last year (Putim37s) but he hasn't been on since October and the email I had for him from his profile he hasn't responded too. Probably doesn't even have that bumper anymore.

Big_Tone
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x (White w Java interior; Tech Pkg)
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Custom 2 1/4” exhaust with Jones Exhaust X-Pipe
Infiniti Sport mufflers

I had a similar situation over the Summer. The cost to repair the original bumper was as much as buying a used sport bumper, so I did that. Found one in pretty good condition on eBay from InStockAutoParts for $475 shipping included. It was already painted. I had to get the mesh grill and bezel for the fog lights. I just checked their page and don't see a white sport bumper for sale. They may have others not listed, though.

Ilya

Big_Tone wrote:I had a similar situation over the Summer. The cost to repair the original bumper was as much as buying a used sport bumper, so I did that. Found one in pretty good condition on eBay from InStockAutoParts for $475 shipping included. It was already painted. I had to get the mesh grill and bezel for the fog lights. I just checked their page and don't see a white sport bumper for sale. They may have others not listed, though.
You didn't need any of the brackets, etc.?

Big_Tone
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x (White w Java interior; Tech Pkg)
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Custom 2 1/4” exhaust with Jones Exhaust X-Pipe
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Ilya wrote:
Big_Tone wrote:I had a similar situation over the Summer. The cost to repair the original bumper was as much as buying a used sport bumper, so I did that. Found one in pretty good condition on eBay from InStockAutoParts for $475 shipping included. It was already painted. I had to get the mesh grill and bezel for the fog lights. I just checked their page and don't see a white sport bumper for sale. They may have others not listed, though.
You didn't need any of the brackets, etc.?
Either the bumper I bought had them or the non-sport bumper's brackets matched the sport. I don't know which was the case. A repair shop did the install.

Ilya

Ahh okay. I guess if I buy my stuff from a reputable source if I go with the sport route then I can just return any unused parts. Cause stuff like the rubber at the top (where the hood meets the bumper) might be reusable from my old bumper and costs $65 lol. Stuff like that could add up.

sk8koolkat
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x

I agree, I'm not a fan of the Aero bumper, the Crack doesn't seem big and the area that it is located doesn't get much contact so if you do get it fixed at a shop I wouldn't see the damage getting any bigger, and the midnight grill looks much better. I would go with option A first and if it fails (which I don't think it will) then option B would be next.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”