my car makes a squeaking sound every time i take a turn need help :(

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
D_roc
Car: 2001 Maxima 20th aniv edition

about couple of months ago i heard this squeaking my dad took off the wheels and nothing was wrong and after that didnt hear the sound until couple of days ago after school when i was taking the turn it happened. and now the squeaking sound comes every time i turn my car. its a squeaking sound from the front wheels not sure if it makes the sound in the passenger side but i hear it from drivers side all the time. when it happens i'm not hitting the brakes, the car is a 01 maxima se and has 131 XXX miles on it, please helpthanksD

dodiho
Car: 1996 I30 1999 Q45

do u hear the sound when u turn left and right? Is it more of a "clicking " sound? I just had to replace my CV joints at 155,000 miles on my '96 I30....but it could be rotors or pads....

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

I doubt it's the CV joints or rotors if it's a squeak.

Try turning the wheel when you're not moving. If it makes that noise still or "thumps". It's probably, you upper strut bearings/plate (whichever we have). When you turn, so do your springs and struts, if the bearing/plate is worn, then it might be rubbing.

D_roc

no its a squeak(more like a squeak ...squeak...squeak) , and for what i remember it mad the sound when i turn both ways.

rxm6
Car: '93 240sx

D_roc wrote:no its a squeak(more like a squeak ...squeak...squeak) , and for what i remember it mad the sound when i turn both ways.
Your mouse is hungry?

No seriously, how much of a turn radius do you have to make before it starts squeaking? Is it a slight turn and the squeak starts or a sharp turning radius that starts the noise?

D_roc

mouse is hungry good one lol, it happens when i take a sharp turn, the sound is not that loud eaither

rxm6

D_roc wrote:mouse is hungry good one lol, it happens when i take a sharp turn, the sound is not that loud eaither
That's interesting and makes me think some joint needs lubrication or there are metal parts rubbing. The fact that its a sharp turn tends to make me think metal parts. When you get a chance, raise the front of the car and put jack stands underneath it so that the front wheels are off the ground. Then have some one turn the wheel or you can do it manually by turning the wheel yourself by gripping the tire, and see if anything jumps out at you as part of the squeak. Also, check your steering assembly for leaks, which could be another cause of the squeak. 4th gen steering assemblies tend to leak, I don't know about 5th gens and this could be causing parts to squeak.

If all else fails, raise the car with jack stands and have someone sit in the car and make a stationary sharp turn with the engine on and see if you can hear that squeak. If you can, my guess would be that your power steering booster or some other part of your assembly is causing the problem. If you do that test and you don't hear the squeak, I would have your helper put the car in drive and (from a safe distance under the car) watch and listen to see where that squeak might be coming from with the wheels moving. If that fails too...there are some other things I can think of, but I don't want this to turn into a dissertation on the causes of squeaks on our cars. Let us know what you come up with.

D_roc

thanks, now i have to wait till my next paycheck to get a pair of jack stands think i can buy a pair for $60 or less

rxm6

D_roc wrote:thanks, now i have to wait till my next paycheck to get a pair of jack stands think i can buy a pair for $60 or less
I bought mine for $14.95 at Sears and a 3-ton floor jack for $60 at Sears. If you buy jack-stands for $60 they better be diamond studded and gold plated.

D_roc

forgot to tell the noise comes only if the car is moving while taking a sharp turn

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

What about wheel bearings? I'm asking the community for their feedback on that idea.

I would think that they would squeak regardless of the sharp turn, but if the car has to be moving and it's a squeak and not a thump...

D_roc

well the sound is kinda getting louder and it happens only if i'm taking a left turn could this be the wheel bearing?thanksD

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”