my car just died while driving

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
towncarblue

i have a 2002 nissan pathfinder.
while i was driving today my engine just died. i tried to turn the vehicle back on but it would not . the battery is working fine . i turn the key and its turning [ you can hear the starter working ] but the engine wont start.
i believe its the fuel pump that is bad [ i changed my fuel filter last year ]
im trying to make sure that it is the fuel pump but i cant find the gas line in the engine bay. can someone tell me where it is/?
the fuel pump costs around $250 and im trying to make sure it is in fact the fuel pump before i go and waste the money

CanuckQx4
Car: 2001.5 Qx4 2wd

the fuel lines come in on the passenger side

They connect to the engine at the front top passenger side, both feed and return. Youll probably have to remove the engine cover if you want to remove the feed line to see if youre getting fuel, there is a spot for a fuel pressure tested adapter aswell if thats what youre checking for.

Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on (but not try and start)??

I believe a CEL would throw if your pump went

towncarblue

i decided to replace the fuel filter first. afterwards i started to crank the engine and it still would not start [ so its not a clogged fuel filter ] .
while i was changing the fuel filter i decided to turn the key to the on position , the fuel was dripping but not dripping with too much pressure
i noticed a check engine code p0335 [crankshaft position sensor] / that code was not there yesterday
when i turn the key to the on position i do hear a noise where the fuel pump is located
i got a new fuel pump but i want to make sure it is the problem before i replace it.
can a crankshaft position sensor cause the pathfinder not to start ?

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

According to EC-131 (Fail-safe Chart) and EC-325 it doesn't seem that a P0335 code will cause your engine to fail to start. But you can try following part of the diagnosis process - at least verify connections at the sensor to try to solve that.

You should measure your fuel rail pressure with a gauge or at least feel the fuel lines to see if you are getting enough fuel pressure. You might be able to check at the fuel filter's rubber hose for pressure, I don't know where the fuel lines are in the engine bay either and not sure where to look in the FSM to find them. See FE-6 for instructions on replacing the fuel pump if you decide to replace it.

towncarblue

i replaced the fuel pump today. and reset the check engine light
still not running , and im not getting any check engine codes now
i have no idea what to look at next"?
Last edited by towncarblue on Mon May 02, 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Tried jump starting or borrowing someone else's known good battery, or testing voltage @ battery with a multimeter during cranking?

towncarblue

tried jumpstarting with my battery fully charged . no luck

towncarblue

i gave up and took the car to a mechanic.
they cant tell what is wrong either......

he told me it could be a TIMING SENSOR , or the COMPUTER FOR THE CAR , he does not have the tools to check.

i went to a few web sites and i could not find out if this car [ '02 pathfinder ] has a timing sensor. is it under a different name"? where is it ?

yeldogt
Car: 02 Pathfinder 4X LE (X2)

The most time consuming and expensive thing you can do is change parts.

Sometimes you need to take a car to an mechanic qualified to diagnose the problem -- its unfortunate ..........but sometimes the dealer is the only way to check some strange things out.

A very simple test would have eliminated the filter and pump as the cause - - you have already paid for a pro.

The ECU's are normally robust often it is something else. One of the crank sensors could have failed.

Have you confirmed that the new pump is delivering fuel - and you do not have a failed pump relay or fuse?

The two cam sensors and the crank position sensor ( I believe that is what it s called ) are all common failure point and are easy to replace (they are all on the front of the engine) -- but you should get a code for a failure? Any codes??

740fizza
Car: 2001 740iL, 2001 QX4

A CPS sensor can cause an intermittant no start condition and when they go bad, it can prevent your motor from firing up. Question is, have you had cases before hand where it would crank and then not start? And then you try it again and it starts fine? Which bank CPS is it for (assuming these motors have more then one).

And if you hear the fuel pump prime, it **should** be OK enough to get it running. Based on the code and no start, I bet it is your CPS.

740fizza
Car: 2001 740iL, 2001 QX4

Oh and just a thought: if I were you I'd take one last stab in the dark and order a cheapo CPS sensor and see if it works...according to Advance auto, you should be able to pick one up for $40 (after discount). $20 off 60 coupons, search for them

towncarblue

i just bought the part from the dealer. i cant seem to find its location. dont know if its in the front or rear of the engine

towncarblue

i got the timing sensor from the nissan dealer. i cannot find this thing.
is it located on the rear or in front of the engine?

according to this pic the sensor is located in the front of the vehicle

http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder ... _4733.html

towncarblue

turned out that it was the crankshaft positioning sensor / the one next to the oil filter . i installed it and my car started with hesitation then it started right up
Last edited by towncarblue on Thu May 05, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

towncarblue

i got bad news.. the car was riding fine yesterday. this morning while i was driving the car died again while driving , i managed to get the car to turn on again. about 6 minutes later it happened again , i managed to turn it on again and find a parking space.

once i parked, it turned off again and i could not restart it. i ended up taking it to a local repair shop [ paid for tow truck ] . the mechanic removed and replaced both of the bottom sensors[ ] and it still would not start. im back to square one. the mechanic checked to see if there is a spark from the spark plugs , there was none.

the mechanic told me that he is having another mechanic come in tommorow and check the car computer / we had no luck with the ob2 scanner.

what could be wrong with my car"?

towncarblue

the mechanic told me that it turned out to be a ground wire for the ecu. if i would have decided to go the DIY route i would have replaced every sensor and still had a stuck patthy

CanuckQx4
Car: 2001.5 Qx4 2wd

Which ground??

Please tell me you know which ground!!!

rydebynite
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5l V-6

:crazy: this is simply crazy~!~!~! A loose ground. Yes we must know where this is. How did it simply become loose all of a sudden this does not add up

K26G
Car: 99 INFINITI QX4

I'm having the same problem right now.
kindly tell me which ground wire or where it is located.

many thanks.

captainkeys
Car: 2000 infinty qx4

I had that problem with my 2000 QX4 and it wound up being the distributor.

carnal_c30
Car: 2001 QX4 4WD
2002 QX4 4WD
1999 Q45 VIP life
1996 I30 5spd
1998 I30 Auto
1997 Maxima 5spd Supercharged
1995 240SX S14.5
1995 240SX S14
1994 Hardbody KC V6 5spd 4WD
1972 BMW 2002
1972 BMW E9

01+s no distributor, my 2000 had that problem with the distributor.

Also random no starts or something that leads you to think its the fuel system, it can also be the chip in the key not communicating with the ignition, which is a more common issue with the earlier Infinitis

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”