My 2004 Infiniti QX56 Shuts Off While Driving! Any Help?

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
Ronpatz

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I'm hoping somebody may have a solution. I have a 2004 Infiniti QX56 with around 100k miles on it. Up until these past couple weeks, I haven't had any problems with the cara as it has only required standard maintenance. That has changed lately.

I was driving on the highway between 50-60 when the engine, without warning, suddenly shut off. When this happened, the check engine soon, brake light, etc.. sensors began flashing in the dash. I glided into the breakdown lane and shut the car off. I was able to restart it immediately as if nothing had happened. I drove right to the dealership. They felt it may be a sensor problem, so they replaced the sensors. The car drove fine for a week, but today the same problem happened three times on the way home. I don't think the dealer knows what is wrong, so I am hoping someone out there has encountered a similar problem and has a solution? Please help out a fellow Infiniti owner on this one! Thanks

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Welcome to NICOclub, glad to have you here in the Armada / QX56 Forum!

I really don't have any ideas, but battery, alternator???? Keep us posted please.

jetroy240
Car: S13, AE86

Probably IPDM failing intermittently? The best bet is to swap a known good one & test drive for a long period of time.

Black stallion
Car: 1994 Q45/2006 QX56

My 06 shut down a couple weeks ago (no warning) dealer replaced the fuel sending unit sensors. Ran out of gas, but was reading alittle over half a tank. Seems like they see a couple of those a week. Can you say ethanol?

foleyit

I experienced same issues as you described last week. It ended up being a bad IPDM (Intelligent Power Distribution Module) and a couple other related items. I am scheduled to pick my QX56 later up today. I hope this is helpful.

I was experiencing where the vehicle would just die. The motor would crank, but not start. It would take a few extra tries and eventually it would start. I was able to make it to the dealer without having to be towed.

iNfinitiNBeYond
Car: 06 Qx56

I say gHost Ride the whipp........ Just Jokin... sounds like a common problem.. Should I be concerned...? I tend to go over 50 or 60...hehe.. just can't help it with the smooth V8 ride....

Also it also maybe the chip recognition within the key if you have one... Something with the security, for example, if the key is worn and may come loose in the ignition area and if the vehicle is not recognizing that you have a key in the ignition it may cause it to automatically shut down... or otherwise just make sure you always have a full tank of premium... I always fill it when its have full..... if they dont know whats wrong... Ghost Ride that BiAtch.......

jc56
Car: infiniti QX56 04

hi im new to this website but i also have a 04 qx56 and it just started to randomly shutoff i was wondering if had any advice thanks

dx3
Car: 2006 Infiniti QX56

Are you getting a Check Engine light?

Jonny

jc56

i don't get any warning light it just randomly shutsoff and then it turns on right away sometimes other times it takes a couple of tries and then it turns back on

dx3
Car: 2006 Infiniti QX56

That would lead me to believe it is a fuel issue. If it was anything else you would throw a code... Fuel pump maybe?

Jonny

jc56

i was thinking of changing the intelligent power distribution module. but you think it could be a fuel issue i was even thinking maybe it could be a fuel sensor

Jvasquez
Car: 2005 Infiniti QX56

jc56 wrote:i was thinking of changing the intelligent power distribution module. but you think it could be a fuel issue i was even thinking maybe it could be a fuel sensor
Did you get the issue resolved...I'm going through the same thing right now...sometimes will putter as though it's not getting enough gas but mostly it will not start at all now.

ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS...Need to do something. Don't want to waste money on every possible solution.

Jvasquez
Car: 2005 Infiniti QX56

Jvasquez wrote:
Did you get the issue resolved...I'm going through the same thing right now...sometimes will putter as though it's not getting enough gas but mostly it will not start at all now.

ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS...Need to do something. Don't want to waste money on every possible solution.
Well my truck is still at the dealership...it was (you guessed it) the IPDM!!!

It's not under warranty...here's the thing. The part is $150, but for them to run diagnostics and for parts and labor I'm looking at $450. Not too bad considering it won't run without the part being replaced.

Here's the thing...I don't have warranty to cover this or a loaner, BUT I took it to the dealer and the service manager said he would give me a loaner car FOR FREE if I let them do the service.

I let them do it, because the PART IS ON NATIONAL BACKORDER!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't get the part if I wanted to do it myself anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figure if they have it a week, the cost of me not having my truck would be worth the extra $250. So no biggie, in the meantime I get to drive a LITTLE EX35 , but it beats not having my second car. Thanks for the info...

TODOM711
Car: 2012 QX56
2007 G35

Hello Everyone,

I know this is an old thread but if anyone has their rides still have they had any issues since? My dad has an 05 and just started having the same issues and hes trying to figure out what direction to go but defintely sounds like the IPDM.

Socaldiablo
Car: 2004 Infiniti QX56 - Black on Willow
2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Black on Black
2006 Ducati ST3
2008 Kawasaki KLX450r

TODOM711 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:53 am
Hello Everyone,

I know this is an old thread but if anyone has their rides still have they had any issues since? My dad has an 05 and just started having the same issues and hes trying to figure out what direction to go but defintely sounds like the IPDM.
I've had my 04' for nearly 13 years. My IPDM went bad a year or so after I bought my QX56 (back in 09' with 45K miles on it) ...I had similar issues where my truck began to hesitate and stutter while driving and at one point would not start. I finally got it started and limped 4 miles home and from there, I self-diagnosed it as a bad IPDM. I was able to order the part from an online Infiniti dealer, got the part in a few days, and installed myself (very easy). From that point, I have never had this issue arise again in probably 11-12 years now.

I would suggest to your dad that if his IPDM is the original one and he's having engine hesitation and dashboard light and gauges going haywire, I'd say an IPDM replacement is in order. They are VERY easy to swap out ...do not pay a dealer hundreds of dollars to do this. There is a box behind the battery, open the cover and right there is the IPDM. If I recall, there are 4 or so screws holding it in place. Remove those, then there are about 7 connectors that you will need to disconnect. Each connector is different so you don't need to worry about remembering which goes where. It's as simple and removing each connector and reinstalling the new IPDM in reverse of how you disconnected the original part, screw back in place, put cover on, and you're good to go.

TODOM711
Car: 2012 QX56
2007 G35

Thank you. I will relay the message and let him know whats going on. Hes had the car for roughly 11 years and it has a 120k miles and now started doing this.

Socaldiablo
Car: 2004 Infiniti QX56 - Black on Willow
2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Black on Black
2006 Ducati ST3
2008 Kawasaki KLX450r

I distinctly remember my gauges going nuts, like the RPM and speedometer needles quickly spinning back and forth quickly at idle and the engine hesitating like it was nearly out of fuel. If he doesn't have these symptoms, it may be something else. He got some pretty good life out of the current IPDM ...when these were going out years back, they were failing much earlier for many people, meaning vehicles that were only a handful of years old with much lower mileage than 120K.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Might just be the ECM relay and not the whole IPDM. The clue to both is that there will be no codes in the ECM because it's losing electrical power and can't throw any. However, there will be "U" codes in the ABS and TCM if it goes down for more than 2 seconds before recovering.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”