Murano2011 Nav/Phone/DVD/Cam ByPass Kit

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
BillArf
Car: 2011 Murano LE AWD

I should start by saying I have no financial interest in this kit. I am posting about it here solely because I installed the kit on my 2011 Murano LE and I am thrilled with it. I believe others should know such a kit is available. Nissan has crippled many features on the 2011 Murano with Nav and this kit over-rides things so the crippled features are fully functional. This kit has made my 2011 Murano LE with Nav more usable / enjoyable for me to use..

Thanks to the kit, I can now use my 2011 Murano with Nav without some restriction's imposed by Nissan.... With this kit, I have full, unrestricted use of the Nav system, full unrestricted use of my blue-tooth enabled cellphone. When I tow a trailer, I can now press a button on the BDL ByPass Kit Remote, the rear camera turns on and I can view the hitch and observe my loaded open trailer to assure tie downs are still in proper position, etc.... The rear camera also lets me, while driving forward, view the side blind spots where other vehicles lurk. This is terrific in bad traffic situations. Another plus is my front seat passenger can now watch DVD's while I am driving.. The kit is is totally non-invasive. No cutting of factory wires, etc..

As mentioned, this kit is only for the 2011 Murano with Nav. Very little dis-assembly of the Murano is necessary when installing the BDL ByPass Kit (Remote Based). I'd say pretty much anyone that can read very simple instructions and turn a Phillips head screwdriver can do the install. (obtain my install review below) In about 8 mins and 10 or so screws removed later you easily access the AV unit. Once access is gained, connect the kit (plug and play...easy) and then just reassemble (easy) and the install is complete. By the way, you don't even need to disconnect the Murano's battery prior to install.

So simple to install/use.... no technical skills, etc. needed. The fellow (no, not me) really has made a terrific, well thought out kit. For what he is charging $ wise ($149.99), the kit is a steal in my opinion. As you can see I'm really happy with the kit and what is does. When at a Nissan dealership's Service Dept. they would not have a clue the kit was installed. Unless you click the kit's remote the vehicle behaves as any vehicle without the kit would behave. Guess another point is when you sell the vehicle you can very easily remove the kit if you desire and resell it.

For those interested in a kit for their 2011 Murano with Nav, (Will only work with a 2011 Murano with Nav) email me at [email protected] and I will reply to your email with info on how to contact the fellow that made the kit for me. I just contacted him and he has already made up a few more kits as I told him people here were interested. He was decent enough to make up more kits per my request.

I made up a little picture review with some instruction on the install of the BDL ByPass Kit (Remote based) I installed on my 2011 Murano with Nav. If you would like a looksee/a copy, feel free to download the zip file containing the Microsoft Word document. http://auffarth.com/BillFolder/Murano/m ... r-ride.zip

BillArf

Was just thinking I should mention that this bypass kit is also offered for the 2010-2011 GTR with Nav and the 2010/2011 370Z with Nav.

As for why this kit will not work for the the 2010 Murano and older Murano's but only for the 2011 Murano with Nav is because the 2011 Murano with Nav has the latest AV/Nav system from Nissan. This newer system uses a different plug on the AV unit which makes this kit install possible. I was fortunate enough to get the fellow to make a kit for my 2011 Murano with Nav which he is now making available to other 2011 Murano with Nav owner's.

BillArf

Here is a post a fellow made in another Murano related forum in regard to the BDL99 Bypass Kit (Remote Based)

jopo stated:

"I purchased this kit (got the information through BillArf) and wanted to post about my experience.

The install was painless - took less than 30 minutes - and it works as advertised. It comes with everything you need (down to the Velcro tape you need to secure the box behind the radio) except the phillips screwdriver. Instructions were very clear and included pictures that made the install go very smoothly. This is a very professionally done kit - no cutting wires, it doesn't look hacked together, and it's impossible to tell that it's there without removing the stereo panels.

As for the purchase process, I paid through Paypal, it was shipped quickly, and it was packaged nicely. BillArf and Brian, the guy who makes the kit, both provided information to help with installation. I was a little worried about purchasing a kit when I only had seen one person post about it (BillArf), so I wanted to post another positive experience to help anyone who might be on the fence about it."

BillArf

I use a velcro tape fastener to fasten the kit's remote to the bottom side of the center console drink holder cover door. I can open the door, and press any button without even pulling the remote off the door. Easy access, out of sight. Does not interfere with placing drink vessels in the holder.

BillArf

The fellow that is doing the ByPass kit for the 2011 Murano with Nav may just have found a source for the connector that would allow him to make a ByPass kit for the 2009 and 2010 Murano with Nav. Are there any 2009, 2010 owner's interested in the ByPass kit? It would probably sell for $149.00. Post interest here as it will encourage the fellow to move ahead with a ByPass kit for the 2009 - 2010 Murano with Nav.

martinrrrr
Car: 2009 Murano SL w/ everything

I just read your install instructions and they are indeed very very simple. I am interested in one of these for my 2009. I would need to work it into my budget for a future purchase but I am definitly interested in buying one.

Great post and thanks.

Roger

mdawg4x4
Car: 2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO CC 4X4
2011 Nissan Murano
2006 Nissan Sentra
1963 Nissan Patrol

Will it work on the non-NAV audio system also.

BillArf

mdawg4x4 wrote:Will it work on the non-NAV audio system also.
2011 Murano with Nav

BillArf

The following is a post that was made on another Murano forum from a 2011 Murano LE owner that installed the Kit...

ts2011 states:

To all,

I am another satisfied customer of this kit. To echo BillArf and jopo, the transaction to purchase was just as you would expect, and delivery just as was arranged no fuss.

Installation is a breeze, I am an electronic engineer, and I actually had started researching the circuit to bypass the camera and dvd functions before I saw this thread. But, I do not work on cars, can't say I have ever removed any part of a dash panel on any car I have owned in almost 50 years. The kit makes everything clean , no splicing wires or rewiring like I had planned. The kit is the perfect solution for something that has been bothering me since I bought my Murano. This is as plug and play as you could ask for.
It would have been nice to have another set of hands at one point, but I managed, and it all went back together no sweat. I took a little longer than I could have , but I am sure most of you guys could do it in less than a half hour.
I love being able to click my remote and turn on the rear view camera anytime while driving.

Bottom line , if your thinking about getting the kit, I would highly recommend it !

Thank BillArf for sharing this kit with us all, and thanks to all here who share good information..

BillArf

A few other US2011 Murano with Nav owner's have recently purchased and installed the bypass kit. ALL are extremely pleased with the benefits the kit provides. ALL say how extremely easy the install was. Anyway, I am posting now to say if you have a US2011 Murano with Nav and been contemplating purchasing the bypass kit, do it soon, as the price for the bypass kit is going up from what I have been told. All along I have said that the $149.99 was way to little for the kit. Prices for the parts have increased and the labor involved warrants a price increase. It was inevitable that the price would go up. So, if you want the best deal act now while the kit is $149.99. Email me at [email protected] for info on how to order from the guy making the kit.

BillArf

Repost:

I made up a little picture review with some instruction on the install of the Car Kit Company ByPass Kit (Remote based) I installed on my 2011 Murano with Nav. The install on the 2009 and 2010 would be basically the same. If you would like a looksee/a copy, feel free to click on this link and download the zip file containing the Microsoft Word document. http://auffarth.com/BillFolder/Muran..._over-ride.zip
Last edited by BillArf on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

BillArf

The first Car Kit Company, kit for the US Murano 2009 / 2010 with Nav, was assembled this past weekend and shipped this past Monday. I arranged for a member of another Murano forum member to receive the kit, install immediately and report back immediately to the fellow assembling / offering the kit. Hopefully, this install will go without a hitch and then the kit will be offered to all. I will post here when it is available. Should be available around 10/28/11 give or take a few days. There's going to be some real happy 2009/10 owners. This bypass kit, just as the Car Kit Company, kit for the US 2011 Murano with Nav gives you all the benefits as mentioned earlier in this thread.. but not camera on while moving forward. Kit components to include the remote are quality components..
Last edited by BillArf on Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

rrraider
Car: 2010 Murano LE

Just a bit too early to tell, but it looks like the Beatsonic kit for $110 will do the same thing. Will likely have the results next week and will report with install and performance pics. Oh, and by the way I am in no way affiliated with Beatsonic; just to make that clear as Bill so often does with his product.

BillArf

Good luck with that kit...

rrraider

Thanks, now if I can just verify that grounding pin 37 will enable the camera everything will be good.

BillArf

Ok, more on the 2009/10 Car Kit Company bypass kit. Forum member on another Murano forum, red kiosk (Thanks red kiosk) received and installed the pre production kit this past week! Install went well but testing of the kit on the 2009/10 revealed that rear camera on while driving forward will not be possible with the 2009/10 kit. (Is possible with the 2011 kit) red kiosk from what I understand, is very pleased with the kit.

The Murano Bypass Kit for the 2009/2010 US Murano with Nav will go on sale in approx. 2 weeks from 10/23/11. Price for 2009/2010 bypass kit will be more then the 2011 kit as the needed connectors are very expensive. The price for the 2009/2010 kit will be $184.99 plus shipping ($10.95 US Priority Mail, $45 International Express Mail). I still consider this a very decent price for this terrific kit offering. Again, Please note that unlike the kit for the US 2011 Murano the 2009/10 kit will not allow for rear camera on while driving forward.

I will post more here when the 2009/10 kit is actually available for ordering. Remember, this is a remote based bypass and not a simple switch set-up like other vendors are offering..

BillArf

A little tidbit in regard to the Car Kit Company remote based bypass kits:

If you have the HomeLink rearview mirror... You can program/pair the buttons on the Car Kit Company bypass remote to the buttons on the rear view mirror with Homelink. Works great! Slick as chitt........

Yet another very positive thing about the Car Kit Company bypass remote based kit.

rrraider

Recieved and installed the $110 Beatsonic kit for the 2010 Murano. This is an easy no hassle install that should take no more than 30 minutes to install if you will look at the navigation instrument panel assembly drawings page IP-15 on the FSM posted on this site. About the only thing that is not shown on the drawing that you will need to do in disassembling is pop down the panel below the control panel that covers the two screws that you need to remove in order to remove the left and right stays (the ones that have the starter button and flasher button in them). Only other thing that I noticed was that when you remove the seven screws that hold the nav unit itself in, is that there is a plastic pin/tab on the upper right hand side that you will need to pull the unit straight upwards to release and remove the unit. I suggest removing the two plugs attached to the outer control panel to get it out of the way to remove the nav. unit itself. After Nav. unit is removed just unplug the factory harness and install the Beatsonic Harness between the nav. unit and the factory harness. That done hook up the ground wire to the factory grounding lug behind the nav. unit; this is the 6mm (10mm wrench size) bolt with all the factory ground wires under it. Put things back together mount the switch in a convienient location and try it out. (perfect place to me for the switch is under the bottom panel that you had to remove to remove the stay screws, it attaches with velcro supplied with the kit).
The Beatsonic kit restores all function of the Nav. unit while driving and if you passenger wants to watch a DVD movie, pictures/movies from a video camera, pictures from a digital camera, etc. ; just access Aux. for the source and you are in business. BTW images are very sharp and vibrant on the Nav. screen, and sound is very good also.
Beatsonic makes kits for most all Nissan and other Mfgs. vehicles. Since the kits have a switch you don't have a remote to keep up with, or change batteries on.
I am very pleased as is my wife (her car) with the kit and I would highly recommend it, for $110 I think an outstanding addition to our car.
Randy

BillArf

To those wanting a superior bypass kit with all the bells and whistles you need to consider the Car Kit Company remote based bypass solution which this topic was about until rrraider decided to post off topic / mess up this thread / confuse things. It would have been appropriate for rrraider to have started a new topic in regard to the kit he installed but.... ANYWAY, do know that the Car Kit Company and Beat-Sonic bypass kits are two very different offerings.

Indeed, there is the Beat-Sonic kit which is a low budget bypass alternative.... It has been around for awhile. It is an iffy lets say, Japanese offering with a checkered past so I and others never really mentioned it here or considered same. Many have reported issues with the Beat-Sonic kits (offered for many vehicle makes) and yet others say it did an ok job for them after they managed to get it installed. Install instructions are severely lacking / are basically in Japanese. Tech support for it is pretty much non-existent unless you consider decent tech support slow to be provided replies from a fellow in Japan via emails you can't understand. Anyway,the Beat -Sonic kit is a simple, and again, a low budget, single switch kit. Switch ends up dangling out from under the console unless you velcro it somewhere.. IF you want to save $74 you could go for/ try the Beat-Sonic kit. Personally, knowing both kits very well, I myself would not even consider the Beat-Sonic kit. With it, you get what you pay for... essentially, a simple "single" (low tech) switch dangling by a wire from the dash unless you velcro it under there... To each his own though but not my cup of tea..

For me I would prefer the Car Kit Company offering ..... a two switch, remote control (fob) based kit. The remote for the bypass will pair and will work with my HomeLink rear view mirror buttons if I desire that .(Beat-Sonic is nor remote based ) I would desire quality components that I know will work and not be problematic at time of install of down the road. I would prefer a US offering with solid backing and top notch tech support.. Would prefer instructions. Want a kit not easily detected by a Nissan dealerships tech.. So, again, the Beat-Sonic kit will work but to me pales in comparison to the Car Kit Company kit that offers what I seek. So, again you get exactly what you pay for.

rrraider

BillArf, just sent me a private message that reads "FU Randy!", does anyone know what that means?
Randy

BillArf

BillArf wrote:A little tidbit in regard to the Car Kit Company remote based bypass kits:

If you have the HomeLink rearview mirror... You can program/pair the buttons on the Car Kit Company bypass remote to the buttons on the rear view mirror with Homelink. Works great! Slick as chitt........

Yet another very positive thing about the Car Kit Company bypass remote based kit.

Programming your HomeLink mirror with the Car Kit Company bypass remote transmitter:

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink® indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink® buttons.)

2. Turn your vehicle’s ignition switch to the second (or "accessory") position. If you have a Start button, press it twice to get to accessory..

3 Position the Car Kit Company bypass kit's handheld remote transmitter 1 to 3 inches away from the HomeLink® surface (located on your mirror), keeping the HomeLink® indicator light in view.

4. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink® button and Car Kit Company bypass kit's handheld remote transmitter button. Continue to press hold both buttons until the HomeLink® indicator light flashs, first slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, release both buttons. (The rapid flashing light indicates successful programming of the new frequency signal.)

5. Now press and hold the programmed HomeLink® button and observe the indicator light. If the indicator light is solid/continuous, programming is complete.

After you have done the pairing of each button you will be able to hear a very slight audible click coming form the area where you installed the Car Kit Company harness and remote receiver each time you press one of the buttons you paired on your HomeLink® mirror. You may not have noticed but when you press any button on the Car Kit Company remote transmitter you will also hear that slight audible click..

rrraider

I did some testing of the Beatsonic kit yesterday on a business trip and needing guidance to numerous locations while using full function on the Nav. What I found with the Beatsonic kit that is contradictory to some reports that I have read about modifying the system, is that when using full function of the Nav. system with this kit it still keeps your precise location and there is no need to switch off and on to maintain accuracy of the navigation system. I don't know how this kit is different from some of the other mods, but what it amounts to is that you just leave it on and everything works correctly, no switching.

BillArf

rrraider wrote:I did some testing of the Beatsonic kit yesterday on a business trip and needing guidance to numerous locations while using full function on the Nav. What I found with the Beatsonic kit that is contradictory to some reports that I have read about modifying the system, is that when using full function of the Nav. system with this kit it still keeps your precise location and there is no need to switch off and on to maintain accuracy of the navigation system. I don't know how this kit is different from some of the other mods, but what it amounts to is that you just leave it on and everything works correctly, no switching.
This quoted statement above is inaccurate/incorrect!..... :tisk:

Reality is the Beat-Sonic kit interrupts the VSS when it's switch is clicked. The parking brake is also grounded by the kit... If you understand how a bypass lets say works with your 2009/10 US Murano with Nav, you would realize that the VSS is not something you want disabled as in "leave it on". Understand your set-up and you will realize the ramifications of having the VSS disabled. rrraider, use the Beat-Sonic kit for awhile and hopefully you will understand.. As for the Beat-Sonic kit and what it actually does.... well, it does what the Car Kit Company bypass kit for the 2009/10 does but with a simple switch versus using a somewhat pricier, higher end, remote based solution like the Car Kit Company offers.

I encourage anyone seeking a bypass for your 2009/10 US Murano with Nav to do your homework, read all the relevant threads on this forum before you buy a bypass kit. The Car Kit Company and Beat-Sonic kits are both valid bypass alternatives but at the same time they are different.. For those US2011 Murano with Nav owners you get more lets say with the Car Kit Company bypass kit.. i.e. Remote based, camera on while moving forward if desired, works with HomeLink Mirror, etc..

BillArf

Well, I am selling my 2011 Murano LE. I have am thus selling my Car Kit Company Bypass Kit for $105.00 plus say $9.00 for postage. (Retails for $179.99 plus shipping) It is the remote based kit and it is in as new condition. Actually, I have never used the remote fob as I had the bypass kit synced with my Homelink Mirror. Anyway, it is for sale. Also, I do not wish to ship it outside of the USA.

A terrific kit!
http://www.carkitcompany.com/nissan-mur ... remote-htm

Email to buy: [email protected]

Return to “Murano Forum”