Murano Trailer Hitch Question

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
absoluteproof

I'm looking to install a class 3 or possibly a class 2 trailer hitch on my 04 Murano.

I would like to know what hitch looks the best (actually blends in and hides the best)???

Anyone's input or even pics would be greatly appriciated...

cheers.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Welcome to NICOclub! It is a pleasure to have you here in the Murano Forum!

The factory hitch available from Nissan is very nice and hidden. From what I have seen, that is the only one I would purchase and install. The aftermarket ones often have members that stick out and you see them much easier.

KJSmitty
Car: 2009 LE

I cant comment on the 2004 yet can validate that the aftermarket hitch for the 2009 fits like a glove. I purchased a "Draw-Tite" Class-III. Not only was it 1/3 the price of factory (~$120) yet 1/3 the weight of the factory hitch. Granted if I was planning on maximizing every ounce of the Mo's towing capacity the factory hitch would have been considered - but not for my planned uses etc..

I will confirm however and I would assume the 04 factory hitch to be the same quality - that the OEM 2009 was a very nice/robust 2 inch receiver hitch.

- Check hitches from Draw-Tite, Hidden-Hitch, and Curt for reference. The only thing visible on my 2009 is the receiver.

Install takes less than 45 min with no drilling required.

Good luck

Timmbo

I know there are SOME aftermarket hitches that look good, but there are also some aftermarket hitches that look terrible. This is why I personally only recommend the OEM hitch.

martinrrrr
Car: 2009 Murano SL w/ everything

I installed the Draw-Tite Hitch, P-N 75647, Draw-Tite Class III Trailer Hitch Receiver. It cost $115 from Etrailer. After installation, it looks like the factory hitch and is completely hidden. It installs in 30 min and requires no drilling or modifications. See the attached installation link for a look of the profile view after it's installed.

I also installed the factory wiring harness. That was very easy, but it takes a lot longer due to the dis-assembly of all of the rear interior. However, the dis-assembly was very easy and does not blemish any of the components. Everything buttons backup on the reassembly w/o any problems.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/228...n.jpg

KJSmitty

martinrrrr wrote:
I also installed the factory wiring harness. That was very easy, but it takes a lot longer due to the dis-assembly of all of the rear interior. However, the dis-assembly was very easy and does not blemish any of the components. Everything buttons backup on the reassembly w/o any problems.
OK Everyone I have resurrected this thread,,,, :-)

Anyone that has self-installed the factory harness or Martinrrr if you are still around:

Where exactly does the harness install at/to? As in behind which interior trim did/do you find the connector/wiring harness to plug into etc.. I haven't required lights with my hitch as of yet (just a luggage rack), but I have a hard time spending the $190+ on the Nissan harness thus would like to get at the vehicle harness/connector and perform a few tests to see if I can fabricate my own harness etc..

Thanks all!

Happy Holidays

martinrrrr

Going from memory, I believe that the harness attaches to four built in connectors. It installs in the truck area. The area where the spare tires is located and the side trim panels behind the tail lights. The connectors behind the tail lights were a little hard to work with since I could not actually see and hold in both hands, but rather, I had to feel my way between and around some pillar supports. Having said that though, it was still easy to connect.

Hope that helps,

Roger

KJSmitty

Thanks Martinrrrr,

So The $190 harness actually connected into three different locations? One behind each tail light area and then one in the spare tire area?

Thanks again

Cheers

martinrrrr

I found the installation instructions. There were four plug in connections plus a ground connection. The kit included the wiring harness, a converter that had an 8-pin plus a 1-pin connector and some other installation accessories. If I get time, I will try to scan the Kit Contents page of the instruction manual so that you can see what was included in the package.

martinrrrr

Here are a couple of pages from the installation manual. See if you can read this.

Hope this helps,

Roger

Modified by martinrrrr at 8:26 PM 12/15/2008

KJSmitty

Many thanks Roger!

You answered my main concern and that was if a converter box was included or if it was strictly wire/a harness etc.. The converter box could be a simple circuit or something much more complex.. That alone tells me it might be best to just order the Nissan kit for a safe and "solid" install.

Again, I truly appreciate your time posting!! It was just what I needed.

Cheers

martinrrrr

Glad I could help. One thing that the instructions don't mention, after reconnecting the battery cable when you are finished, you will need to reprogram the auto down/up function for the windows. I can't remember the steps but I found the process in the owners manual. Takes 10 seconds to setup.

Timmbo

martinrrrr wrote:Glad I could help. One thing that the instructions don't mention, after reconnecting the battery cable when you are finished, you will need to reprogram the auto down/up function for the windows. I can't remember the steps but I found the process in the owners manual. Takes 10 seconds to setup.
You are a total stud! Thanks for the diagrams! Happy Holidays to you and your family from all us here at NICOclub!

Larry O

I recently purchased an '04 Murano and am planning on installing a hitch. This is great info! Good site! Thanks

Timmbo

Glad NICOclub is treating you well, thanks for the compliments!

frankmar
Car: Murano 2017 SL
Sentra 2015 Sv

I installed the CURT CL3 13577 hitch on my 2011 Murano SL and it took me around 45m alone and paid 140.00 shipped to Canada from EBAY. Better if you're two guys. But if you want to drink the other beer,
But being alone had no impact gun, I suggest you get a 1ft long pipe cause those bolts are hard to unscrew.

Once done, have a box of 10" high around so the right side of the hitch rests on it.
Insert the left side(driver side first, and screw one bolt on it but leave it lose. then go on the right side push the plastic upward, insert the hitch under, and screw the 2 bolts,
Go to the left side and screw the other 2 bolts. Use the Pipe to tighten .

No need to loosen the muffler.

Return to “Murano Forum”