Moving to Japan. Military owners' advice welcome/needed

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
usafdarkhorse
Car: 1990 Honda NSX #382
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317
1972 Datsun 240Z

Hey all,

Not new to the forums, but I am new to the concept of potentially purchasing an R32 GTR to bring back to the states after my tour in Japan. I'm set to move to Yokota AB in Fussa-shi around the end of November 2012 and just looking for info on the registration/ licensing process while over there and then the custom information for what's likely a 2016 return to the US.

I've looked at a few threads here about people in similar situations (Misawa AB) and just trying to pick people's brains.
I'm a prior NSX owner, so I've looked at those but they seem to be actually more expensive in Japan (mileage, domestic options) and I can get the same in the US. I sold my ZG'd Datsun Z about 6 months ago so I'm not ruling out trying to bring home a Fairlady 240ZG or hakosuka as well. The R32 is a good option, probably my favorite Skyline, and the years would work out great for the 25 year rule.

I know there's a decent amount of taxes I have to pay to the prefecture, parking spot, etc. and a few have actually said having a car is a hassle/impractical, but I'd still like to have one for those mountain drives/getaways where I cant get to with a train.

Thanks!

Jared

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

themadscientist and GoldDigger both live in Japan and will likely have some good input for you. Neal (GD) is one of our Skyline Moderators and has an R33 GTR.

Bigalow311
Car: Nissan 350z

Here you go:
http://www.japanbases.com/forums/aft/959.aspx

I posted a lot of info on that thread. I've lived in JP for 4 years and I'm going back for [more than likely] another 4. I'll probably be able to answer or assist you with most your questions/concerns.

usafdarkhorse
1972 Datsun 240Z

I appreciate the info! I've been pouring over not only the auto section, but every other section as well.

This should be a great help/resource for alot of my questions. Thanks!

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Yokota is a nice base. Been there a few times when a friend of mine was stationed there. Their auto hobby shop rocks.

As for owning a car, if you're military, it's a tad bit cheaper as everything can usually be done on base if I remember right.

My yearly tax and shaken every other year is stoopid expensive for my 33-R. But, impractical, expensive or not, I don't care. I'll pay it because I love my car.

There are a few people here that are military. Hit up a user on here named RedStage. He has a post in the Regional > International forums. He's Navy but has spent many years on a couple different tours in Japan. He's not in right now, but he still might be able to give you some insight on what you'll need.

usafdarkhorse
1972 Datsun 240Z

Alright, before I delve into the intricacies of trying to bring the car back (3 or 4 years later), I've got to figure out how to 1) get my license to drive around in Japan and 2) purchase and register the car as well as paying the taxes and fees that are due.

From eyeing the Yokota-specific forums, it looks like all I need to get a license is a (excuse me for the Air Force-isms) Form 50 from the safety office and attend the driver's course. Then I'll get issued a USFJ Form 4EJ which I keep with me along with my ID in order to drive in Japan. If that's not right, I'm sure I'll get more specific info while inprocessing.

That doesn't worry me so much as purchasing and registering the car.

Also from the same forum, it looks as though when I decide to purchase a car, that the current owner and the buyer (me) need to visit Pass and Tag Registration office in order to finalize the purchase, change the title in my name, and acquire the appropriate documentation ( I suppose this is like a notarization?). Then, I take those documents down to the prefecture office and have them...do what they do with it... tags? registration papers/stickers? inspections?
I'm just trying to wrap my head around the whole process because buying a car in Tennessee is probably the easiest of any state and I've not had many trials in that department haha.

Here's also a few more questions I can't surmise:
-If I decide to finance a car, what, if anything, will happen to the title other than going to where it normally goes, the bank? I can probably swing an R32 without having to do that, but if I delve into buying another NSX, can I be sure Pass and Tag will get the title transferred and sent to my financier without a hiccup? Will leaving Japan with the car not paid off be an issue?
-I suppose visiting Pass and Tag to finalize the purchase will require me to bring the seller on base, but I can't be too sure I should sponsor this person on base even though I'm buying his car. Anyone else had to do this?

I realize these are some bombshell questions that I may just have to ask them when I get there, but if I can figure alot of this stuff out now, hopefully I won't be caught with my pants down and not miss a great deal while trying to make sense of how it all works.

Thanks!

Bigalow311
Car: Nissan 350z

usafdarkhorse wrote:Alright, before I delve into the intricacies of trying to bring the car back (3 or 4 years later), I've got to figure out how to 1) get my license to drive around in Japan and 2) purchase and register the car as well as paying the taxes and fees that are due.

From eyeing the Yokota-specific forums, it looks like all I need to get a license is a (excuse me for the Air Force-isms) Form 50 from the safety office and attend the driver's course. Then I'll get issued a USFJ Form 4EJ which I keep with me along with my ID in order to drive in Japan. If that's not right, I'm sure I'll get more specific info while inprocessing.
Yes, you'll find that it's a very simple process and mainy DoD Mil/Civ obtain a SOFA license all the time. You basically need a drivers course (most the time offered online), a letter from you command (E5 and below mainly), and successfully pass the SOFA test.
usafdarkhorse wrote:That doesn't worry me so much as purchasing and registering the car.

Also from the same forum, it looks as though when I decide to purchase a car, that the current owner and the buyer (me) need to visit Pass and Tag Registration office in order to finalize the purchase, change the title in my name, and acquire the appropriate documentation ( I suppose this is like a notarization?). Then, I take those documents down to the prefecture office and have them...do what they do with it... tags? registration papers/stickers? inspections?
I'm just trying to wrap my head around the whole process because buying a car in Tennessee is probably the easiest of any state and I've not had many trials in that department haha.
If you're lucky then you can purchase a car from someone on base that already has the paperwork completed. That way you'll just visit the Pass and Tag office, Insurance (more than likely offbase), and register your car.

If you purchase off base then, yes, you'll have to register it in your state, get the JCI completed, etc, etc. More than likely you won't find the car you'll looking for on base so you might want to try an auction. "Mr Auto," American x-USMC from Okinawa, is in the Yokosuka area and popular among DoD Americans per his straight forward information and prices. Mr. Hara (who I'm using) is out of Osaka: http://r-international.co.jp/

usafdarkhorse wrote:Here's also a few more questions I can't surmise:
-If I decide to finance a car, what, if anything, will happen to the title other than going to where it normally goes, the bank? I can probably swing an R32 without having to do that, but if I delve into buying another NSX, can I be sure Pass and Tag will get the title transferred and sent to my financier without a hiccup? Will leaving Japan with the car not paid off be an issue?
-I suppose visiting Pass and Tag to finalize the purchase will require me to bring the seller on base, but I can't be too sure I should sponsor this person on base even though I'm buying his car. Anyone else had to do this?

I realize these are some bombshell questions that I may just have to ask them when I get there, but if I can figure alot of this stuff out now, hopefully I won't be caught with my pants down and not miss a great deal while trying to make sense of how it all works.

Thanks!
Yes,those are specific questions that will come to light when you get to the base since, I'm sure, you're not the only person that's trying to/has in the past financed a JDM via an American bank. You'll more than likely need a letter from the seller stating information such as model,make, year, value... I forget the bank term from that letter. You're bank is the best resource to ask if you intend to finance a JP vehicle.

BTW, make sure you obtain all the paperwork on the vehicle prior to purchasing. If you want to import the car via TMO then it'll be mandatory information that ICE will need. Even if the car is 25+ it's good have to paperwork to shut them Customs dudes up.

Yes, you're fine sponsoring dealers on base but you might not have to. I'm sure there's a PoC for your base that everyone is using. That person will be able to guide you through the process since, like I said, you're not the only DoD member that's tried to do what you're doing.

Good luck.

i wanaskyline
Car: 99 and 00 Mustang both in the USA. Nissan R'nessa, and 2 R32 GTR's

The Base will take care of everything for you. Your license and all that poo will be done during your inprocessing. Stop worrying about all that and focus on the CAR!!! Congrats on the assignment. If you live on base or not you won't have to woory about everything that civilians do. Just road tax and JCI. which arn't really much to worry about. Your biggest problem will be finding a in good condition R32. It will be easier for you though considering you will pretty much be in Tokyo.
Last edited by i wanaskyline on Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

i wanaskyline
Car: 99 and 00 Mustang both in the USA. Nissan R'nessa, and 2 R32 GTR's

BTW The bank issue is easy as well. My wife is the manager here at Misawa. More then likely you will do as you do in the states and the bank will hold your Title. And more then likely the bank will not let you have a loan with payments passing your DEROS. Navy Fed may, but Community will not.

NE146D9R
Car: 1985 Nissan Skyline HR-30 with R34 RB26DETT N-1

2008 Mistubishi Evo X

I just moved back from Zama this year........I did bring back a treasure, but it really depends on (A.) the type of car including the year and (B.) your state........I am stationed in Bragg/Pope now and I registered my Skyline no problem........they didnt even look at the car!!! But my car is an 85' with a Tomei RB26 stuffed in there...........please dont give me crap guys......I wanted something rare as hell in japan and even more rare here!!!!....if your interested I would recommend going to Wangon events or the ever popular North Docks.........hell even just to see the scene..........go to Diakoku Futo........but thats more like the youngans hangout......You will have a great time there........DONT SPEND ALL YOUR CAR MONEY IN ROPPONGI..........and go to CoCo's!!!!!!!!!! If you need anyting there..........car parts ect....let me know I know alot of people........BEST YEARS OF MY CAREER THERE.......GL!

GroundForceOne
Car: Sharpie BCNR33

^ nice....... sentence? haha. Car parts are more expensive over here too, don't forget that! When my buddies go home I have them pick up a bunch of spark plugs etc because they are so much cheaper. haha I'm in Misawa right now, moving to Okinawa in June!

NE146D9R
Car: 1985 Nissan Skyline HR-30 with R34 RB26DETT N-1

2008 Mistubishi Evo X

Some parts are wayyyyyyyyyy cheaper.......it really depends on how and where you get them. Yellow Hat has alot of stuff, but their prices usually were high. If you get in with most mechanics like I did (Garage STS), they have people they know at salvage yards.......and you can usually pick them up cheap. Sentence?..........uh ok....

Autobacs is a very good place for deals.......most of the stuff there is used, but in very good condition.....before you leave Japan, you must go searching for some older rims.......get them restored (for about $300 to $500) and bring them back. I just sold some original 16" Magnesium Watanabes for $7000 and I only paid 1800 plus the resoration fee!!!!!!!!!!! GL to you man!!!!

A1C_Dan

Hmm... I take it this is your first assignment? or first overseas assignment? As said before all your licensing stuff will be taken care of when you in process the base.
As for financing the vehicle through an american bank... good luck. Most banks wont finance a vehicle over 10 (maybe its 15) years old. so you'll have to get a signature loan or even a secured loan.

As for getting the car back to the states when you are leaving, the vehicle people at TMO will either have the information you need or at least know where to look. I'm in the process of moving to Kadena from RAF Lakenheath and during my smooth move briefing they talked about people shipping older vehicles back to the states and even mentioned the 25 year laws, so i know its something they deal with. Just make sure your vehicle is Federally legal... I'm sure you've seen or heard some of the stories about people having their vehicles seized.

Anyway, enjoy your assignment and horde as many car parts as you can... I know i will.

usafdarkhorse
1972 Datsun 240Z

-Bigalow311 Thanks for the info. I'm sure they'll let me know more when I get there. If you know any more car resources, that would be helpful.
-iwanaskyline I'm actually trying to keep buying a car out of my head here for a little bit, but want to peruse the classifieds in the meantime. You're right though about the R32s. Some look to be in rough shape and I don't like seeing "repaired" on the listing. I guess that's the Japanese reference to a salvaged car. I'd be financing through USAA probably, so I'll ask them how that normally works.
- NE146D9R I think I saw your car for sale on craigslist. Thanks for the info!
-A1C_Dan yeah this is my first overseas assignment. I don't plan on dabbling with anything that will be newer than 25 years by the time I leave, so I hope that will make the process smoother. Thanks for the well wishes.

I guess the final answer is "wait until you get there". In the meantime, like I've been provided with before, if anyone knows any sites or classifieds listings, let me know. I've even looked at some of the older Z's like my old S30 and some are going for astronomical prices. Maybe it's not a terrible idea to bring over a 240Z and make a little profit on the LHD rarity factor?

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Yeah, the old Z's are getting expensive over here. They are harder and harder to come by in decent condition. There is a guy here in my town that has a beautiful Burnt Orange 72 Z that is bone stock except for the tires/wheels. I talked to him once. He's the 3rd owner of the car and bought it 10 years ago. He paid the U.S. equivalent of $12k with today's exchange rate. He says he spends more money on just keeping everything stock than he does with his yearly tax. OEM parts are stoopid expensive here.

hotel
Car: used to be an evo....

hey man,
i'm goin to japan in like 6 days actually. i'm waitin in seattle right now before the ffin rotator takes me to okinawa. anyone with info on this issue, feel free to contact me. also, if you figure out what your buddies did to get theirs back i would really like to know how that went down.
thanks, all.

hotel

usafdarkhorse wrote:That doesn't worry me so much as purchasing and registering the car.

If you're lucky then you can purchase a car from someone on base that already has the paperwork completed. That way you'll just visit the Pass and Tag office, Insurance (more than likely offbase), and register your car.

If you purchase off base then, yes, you'll have to register it in your state, get the JCI completed, etc, etc. More than likely you won't find the car you'll looking for on base so you might want to try an auction. "Mr Auto," American x-USMC from Okinawa, is in the Yokosuka area and popular among DoD Americans per his straight forward information and prices. Mr. Hara (who I'm using) is out of Osaka: http://r-international.co.jp/

usafdarkhorse wrote:Here's also a few more questions I can't surmise:

Thanks!
Yes,those are specific questions that will come to light when you get to the base since, I'm sure, you're not the only person that's trying to/has in the past financed a JDM via an American bank. You'll more than likely need a letter from the seller stating information such as model,make, year, value... I forget the bank term from that letter. You're bank is the best resource to ask if you intend to finance a JP vehicle.

BTW, make sure you obtain all the paperwork on the vehicle prior to purchasing. If you want to import the car via TMO then it'll be mandatory information that ICE will need. Even if the car is 25+ it's good have to paperwork to shut them Customs dudes up.

Yes, you're fine sponsoring dealers on base but you might not have to. I'm sure there's a PoC for your base that everyone is using. That person will be able to guide you through the process since, like I said, you're not the only DoD member that's tried to do what you're doing.

Good luck.[/quote]

from the first quote; am i correct in assuming that this step gets you your stateside registration? i looks like you have to bring the seller in and yada to bring it to your name ot yada to register it for you who is a resident of... an american state. isn't that half the import battle? air-forcism: sanity check this?

hotel

also, does anyone know if these import restrictions also apply to the JDM EVOs?

airmax2011
Car: BNW

I'll probably be able to answer or assist you with most your questions/concerns.

hotel

airmax, i haven't gotten the 50 or 100 posts yet, any email i can get a hold of you with?

sketch
Car: 1996 R33 GTR

usafdarkhorse wrote:-iwanaskyline I'm actually trying to keep buying a car out of my head here for a little bit, but want to peruse the classifieds in the meantime. You're right though about the R32s. Some look to be in rough shape and I don't like seeing "repaired" on the listing. I guess that's the Japanese reference to a salvaged car. I'd be financing through USAA probably, so I'll ask them how that normally works.

, if anyone knows any sites or classifieds listings, let me know. I've even looked at some of the older Z's like my old S30 and some are going for astronomical prices. Maybe it's not a terrible idea to bring over a 240Z and make a little profit on the LHD rarity factor?
I am actually stationed at Yokota, there are a few of us into the car related motorsports lol. To answer some quick questions for you, 32 GT-R's are fairly easy to come by, infact right now on Yokota there is a 32 GTR and Hachi influx (they seem to buy in waves). I have one of 2 R33 GT-R's on base and there is 34 GT-R (Japanese owner tho). As for older cars I have a couple of friends that can help you once your there and have a better idea what you want, but your going to pay lol.

Repaired listing, if it is only repaired, it literally means, replaced a fender or repainted, not a big deal. My wife use to export cars from the auctions here, I know the in's and out's pretty well on the way they list things.

Classified: yokotaads.com BUT shoot me an email if you find something you like, most of "the special people" sell on there, IE a R33 "400hp" with an "anti-roll cage" for 7K..... :rotfl

As far as bringing a Japanese LHD car, I wouldnt bother, you will just lose your a** on the import and getting it legal..... Now if you bring a 67-69 camaro/firebird or old mopar, you will bank like nothing else.

Hit me up on email or FB [email protected] I will be back in JP in the next 10 days (traveling)

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

GREAT thread!

Nicely done, gentlemen. Keep the good info going, and thanks to ALL of you who are serving.

usafdarkhorse
1972 Datsun 240Z

Found out USAA won't finance cars over in Japan unless it's near brand new and up to US specs, so unless a place like Navy Fed will finance a Japanese car, I'm going to have to save (which is OK...but a no-go for an NSX most likely).
Gold Digger wrote:Yeah, the old Z's are getting expensive over here. They are harder and harder to come by in decent condition. There is a guy here in my town that has a beautiful Burnt Orange 72 Z that is bone stock except for the tires/wheels. I talked to him once. He's the 3rd owner of the car and bought it 10 years ago. He paid the U.S. equivalent of $12k with today's exchange rate. He says he spends more money on just keeping everything stock than he does with his yearly tax. OEM parts are stoopid expensive here.
Nice! That's pretty nuts.

I just recently bought this Z from the original owner with the thought that I may take it to Japan with me, but after bringing it home, I realized that I couldn't ship it over and sell it just to buy a right-hand-drive version of a car I could get back home (NSX). It really is too nice. 1970 904 white on blue interior:

sketch wrote:
I am actually stationed at Yokota, there are a few of us into the car related motorsports lol. To answer some quick questions for you, 32 GT-R's are fairly easy to come by, infact right now on Yokota there is a 32 GTR and Hachi influx (they seem to buy in waves). I have one of 2 R33 GT-R's on base and there is 34 GT-R (Japanese owner tho). As for older cars I have a couple of friends that can help you once your there and have a better idea what you want, but your going to pay lol.

Repaired listing, if it is only repaired, it literally means, replaced a fender or repainted, not a big deal. My wife use to export cars from the auctions here, I know the in's and out's pretty well on the way they list things.

Classified: yokotaads.com BUT shoot me an email if you find something you like, most of "the special people" sell on there, IE a R33 "400hp" with an "anti-roll cage" for 7K..... :rotfl

As far as bringing a Japanese LHD car, I wouldnt bother, you will just lose your a** on the import and getting it legal..... Now if you bring a 67-69 camaro/firebird or old mopar, you will bank like nothing else.

Hit me up on email or FB [email protected] I will be back in JP in the next 10 days (traveling)
Thanks for the info (especially on the "repaired" wording) and the link to yokotaads.

I'm looking for a gray metallic BNR32 that's fairly original. Not too worried about the cost, but under $10K would be good. I'd probably be looking to purchase in a few months after getting there (probably March 2013 timeframe).

Here's one ad I'm looking at: http://www.yokotaads.com/detail.php?siteid=56330

They have two gray metallic 1989 BNR32s, both look pretty stock-ish, with a stated mileage of 135kms for the first one. JCI expires in April 2013 and not sure how much that's going to cost, but renewing it would cover the rest of my tour pretty much.

The 4WD would be good in the snow and the 2+2 would make it a decent car to fit people in. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

You won't have to worry about too much snow at Yokota. We don't get a lot of snow in the winter time here in Kanto area. We got a couple good dustings this past winter, but it never stuck around. We had one good snowfall that snow stayed for more then 2 days, but nothing more than 5.

The GT-R is not a 2+2. It's a straight on 4 seater. But, be warned, the back seats in an R32 are kinda tight. The R33 has the most rear seat room of the 32/33/34 series Skylines.

And, it's also not a full time 4WD. It's mostly RWD and only uses the front wheels when necessary. If you don't have decent all weather/snow tires, GT-Rs are not that great in the snow. LOL. They are fun, but if I was running standard street or summer tires, I wouldn't even think of driving up to the mountains in that car.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Gold Digger wrote:The GT-R is not a 2+2. It's a straight on 4 seater. But, be warned, the back seats in an R32 are kinda tight. The R33 has the most rear seat room of the 32/33/34 series Skylines.
If you are 5'10" and the girl is a little J-spec chick you can make it work, though. Just saying, I've done the field work. If the GTS-T is rockin don't come a knockin. :naughty:

fliprayzin240sx
Car: 97 240sx w/S13 SR20--RIP
93 S14 Silvia w/ S15 Spec R SR20--RIP
95 240sx kouki convert RB25det

Arent prices of older R32 GTRs starting to spike due to demand? Lots of mil folks are looking for them since they'll be over 25 yrs old by the time they get done with their tour. Also, check out Zeroyon. There's a guy out there who shipped back his car stateside, in okinawa. Not a GTR but he did the whole 25 yr old route and was shipped in the AF's dime. Plus he pretty much shows people the process and the paperwork he needed.

JCIs are good for 2 yrs...not sure how you guys do JCI up in Yokota but I was told you have to go thru AAFES/base? If that's true, then its gonna be a pain in the a**.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

You don't have to. Shaken is shaken whether they do it, a repair shop or you run it through the Land Transportation Office yourself.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”