MotorTrend Aug. 2007 THE KING IS DEAD! HOW INFINITI’S G37 BEAT BMW’s 335i COUPE!

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

Ehh The G35 just never did anything for me. It's a matter of personal preference. I just like the over all style of the BMW, but thats just me. As for the performance, ehh its just an off the lot car. 9 of 10 sold are just grocery getters for the pampered wifes, or Joe Homeowner who cant tell you much about anything under the hood. I have a tuned vehicle in the garage, so I wouldn't buy either merely on performance, if that was the case I would have to wait for the new GTR or M3. I would have to go with my opinion on style and comfort here. Iv been in a number of G's and a few of the new 3's and 5's. I think the bmw is a smoother riding vehicle, the seats are a hell of a lot more comfortable.

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

I couldn't disagree with you more

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

OutToWinPAHC wrote:As for the performance, ehh its just an off the lot car. 9 of 10 sold are just grocery getters for the pampered wifes, or Joe Homeowner who cant tell you much about anything under the hood.
I like ya OTW, but you missed the mark bigtime here.

Shorter stopping distance than a C5? Skidpad numbers better than the Z?

My DD is an '03 G35 Coupe with Brembos and a 6-speed, and it's FAR from a grocery-getter.

Hell, it was MT's Car of the Year, and I guarantee you that 90% of the owners are car enthusiasts who have owned numerous impressive performers prior to the G.

Oh, and I've owned a few "tuned" cars in my day, including the one in the garage with a P-to-W ratio better than damn near anything on the market.

You're 100% right on the "personal preference" issue, as well as the crappy G35 seats - But the rest is just nonsense.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

The July 07 issue of Car and Driver has 3 letters from readers questioning's their decision to give the Bimmer the 1st place spot despite the G35's better overall performance. One owns a BMW and has problems so there perhaps is some level of animosity. Another is a BMW enthusiast who claims to write a column for BMW magazine and owns a BMW website. The third doesn't seem to have any particular relation to either brand. To be fair, there is a G37 owner that shares the opinion that C/D had about the G35 being rough around the edges.

J-Owner
Car: 2010 FX35 owner and former owner of an '05 G35 Coupe and a '95 J30T.

You know reading that E90 forum reminds me of how much I loathe BMW owners.

Talk about a bunch of narcissistic, elitist ^%#@!! You have to apply to own a BMW and the number one requirement is a two inch d***!!

I drove the BMW coupe when I was at Texas Motor Speedway and it was a drab boring POS!! I wouldn't drive that thing if someone gave it to me for free. I would trade it in on an Infiniti

And I agree......3xtreme or whatever is a moron!!

Sorry to be so blunt but I really really really despise BMW and Scion owners. If there are any of you on here that are also Infiniti fans then you are excluded of course.

Just my $0.02.

brianw
Car: 4-doors, 5-speeds...

AZhitman wrote:You're 100% right on the "personal preference" issue, as well as the crappy G35 seats - But the rest is just nonsense.
haha... the killer is personal preference. Does anyone else have the BMW feel aside from BMW? Nope. Infiniti gets closer every time, but they still lack the solid, precise, technical feel of BMW.

But hell, when the numbers add up or whatever, it doesn't bloody matter. The cars are good enough-- it's what appeals most to YOU.

My friend Tim said this...Quote »You either connect with the G or ya dont. What is unrefined and alittle raw about the G is what draws you to it. Even the exhaust on the G is alittle obnoxious.[/quote]

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Yep - I've just never liked the "feel" of a German car, be it Audi, BMW, VW...

Hell, I drove a $120K 8-series and wasn't terribly impressed with the performance or the "feel".

The "feel" includes the ergonomics, the switchgear, and the user interface - Anyplace you "touch" on the car. I simply prefer the feel of a Japanese vehicle.

JeffW63
Car: 03 Honda Accord

Car & Driver has an article on their webpage too. They tested the 6 speed version and it is similar to the MT tests.

0-60 = 5.3s5-60 = 5.9s1320' = 13.9s

Only their skipad number was a bit higher at 0.89g

They didn't seem to care for the 4WS as it caused too much understeer.

Looks like this will be my next car for sure.

Ty SE-R_92B13
Car: 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R, 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE, 2001 Ford F-150 SCrew 4x2 Lariat

I can't wait to see the comparison in a magazine that has some credibility. I'm sorry guys, but Motor Trend sucks.

ca18datsun510
Car: bmw 330i zhp, 91 infiniti m30, 89 240sx, 07 zx6r, 05 trx450r

AZhitman wrote:Yep - I've just never liked the "feel" of a German car, be it Audi, BMW, VW...

Hell, I drove a $120K 8-series and wasn't terribly impressed with the performance or the "feel".

The "feel" includes the ergonomics, the switchgear, and the user interface - Anyplace you "touch" on the car. I simply prefer the feel of a Japanese vehicle.
8 series was designed by an italian. and its a rolling piece of crap.

picus

J-Owner wrote:You know reading that E90 forum reminds me of how much I loathe BMW owners.

Talk about a bunch of narcissistic, elitist ^%#@!! You have to apply to own a BMW and the number one requirement is a two inch d***!!

I drove the BMW coupe when I was at Texas Motor Speedway and it was a drab boring POS!! I wouldn't drive that thing if someone gave it to me for free. I would trade it in on an Infiniti

And I agree......3xtreme or whatever is a moron!!

Sorry to be so blunt but I really really really despise BMW and Scion owners. If there are any of you on here that are also Infiniti fans then you are excluded of course.

Just my $0.02.
Haha... so you realize you just made yourself as bad as them then? Nice work.

AZhitman
Administrator

ca18datsun510 wrote:
8 series was designed by an italian. and its a rolling piece of crap.
Well, I thought it was gorgeous, but weird... and slow. I doubt it's a "piece of crap", but I do know that my aging Q45 slapped it around from 0-100 (and won me dinner).

J-Owner

Why thank you picus. It was just my observation. It gets tiring being quite on certain issues and once in a while it is nice to stoop to someone elses level if for nothing else then to just do something different.

Sticks and stones my friend sticks and stones.

dmkozak

torbach1 wrote:With the previous generation 3-series, BMW outsold Infiniti on the G35 by a fairly large margin...
Where? Are you talking U.S. or worldwide? Are you talking sedans, coupes or combined? In the U.S., BMW sells more 3 series sedans than Infiniti sells G sedans. But, in the U.S. Infiniti sells more G coupes than BMW sells 3 series coupes. In the U.S. Infiniti averages 25K G coupe sales a year (altho 06 and 07 sales will be more than 20K but less than 25K) while BMW sells about 15K 3 series coupes a year in the U.S.

dmkozak

Ty SE-R_92B13 wrote:... a magazine that has some credibility.
Isn't that an oxymoron?

MR C

J-Owner wrote:

I drove the BMW coupe when I was at Texas Motor Speedway and it was a drab boring POS!! I wouldn't drive that thing if someone gave it to me for free. I would trade it in on an Infiniti Just my $0.02.
Your asinine comments make you look just as bad as, if not worse than, the BMW fanbois you're attacking. I own a BMW and would not consider myself to be narcissistic, nor elitist. And I would hardly call my 335 coupe "a drab boring POS"!

With that said, I commend Infiniti for making considerable strides with their autos, especially with the G. Relative to the other players in the luxo sports sedan/couple market (vs MB, BMW, Audi), Infiniti is the new kid on the block, yet they have continued to put out a good-performing car for $$$ less. They will continue to push the envelope with the new G37, and in turn pressure the other automakers to step up their game. As others have said, this will benefit the consumer.
AZhitman wrote:
The first was me dropping my buddy's 5-series off for a bad TPS, and he got the 318. He's a commercial real estate broker making 8 figures a year. The 318 had 98K miles on it. Nice.

The second was an ex-GF who asked for my help with her Z3, which had persistent (4 visits) brake issues. She got no loaner, because I told them she wasn't authorizing any work until they called her to explain what was wrong with it.
AZhitman, I've had a vastly different experience with loaner cars at my dealership in AZ (Chapman on Camelback). I've taken my 335 in once for an ipod install and was given an 06 X5; my gf took her 325 in just last week and she got a new x3. Perhaps things operate differently at the BMW dealership(s) you've visited? Recommend your friend take his car to Camelback if it is at all convenient the next time around. Certainly, loaner car policy (or lack thereof) may differ at individual dealerships. Your point, though, of Infiniti dealerships giving exclusively Infiniti loaner cars is well-noted...a great program.

Regardless of the venom that some forum fanatics will spew,, both the 335 and the G37 are top-notch cars in their segment. The buyer will simply have to test-drive both and see which best suits their interests and circumstances, financial and otherwise. And +1 that MotorTrend should have done a better job with their comparo. I doubt Infiniti deliberately supplied a lemon, but responsible journalism calls for leaving as little room for reproach as possible. Reading the disclaimer that the BMW test-car was "procured by Infiniti" plants that little seed of doubt in the minds of readers (even though the whole issue stems from a question of the 335's reliability). Fuel pump failures and the lack of oil coolers have been discussed ad nauseum on the E90/92 forums, but the far greater majority of 335's out there have been problem-free. FYI, I've had zero issues with my 1/07 build 335 (probably b/c mine has an oil cooler!)

CakeDaddy
Car: Y34,Pathfinder SE, Mercedes CLK500AMG Sport Pkg & A Fleet of Premium Avis Rental Cars

soul_hfk wrote: about time them bimmer lovers get there chair pulled from under them oh sorry and thz for the post tux and welcome
gonna be some haters when the G37 pulls next to the 335

wow! the boys on bimmerfest are heated. Someone said the G35/G37 is a poor mans bmw. what a stupid comment!! lol

read this:http://www.bimmerfest.com/foru...14081

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Very good...

As far as everyone complaining about Infiniti providing the 335i for the test, so what? The fact that the performance tests relatively all leaned towards BMW show that Infiniti did not work any black magic to skew numbers for the test. Sure, they could have lowered the output of the BMW while tweaking the G37 but the numbers show that did not happen. Finger pointing at Infiniti because they provided a car that did not come with a oil cooler from the factory is another cop out. BMW is the one who did not properly supply their cars with oil coolers in the first place.

Personally I like the look of the BMW and the new G37 is growing on me (I hear it looks better in person anyway). Once the new G hits the dealerships I will try one out, until then I will simply sit and wait to determine what new car will share my driveway later this year.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

CakeDaddy wrote:
gonna be some haters when the G37 pulls next to the 335

wow! the boys on bimmerfest are heated. Someone said the G35/G37 is a poor mans bmw. what a stupid comment!! lol

read this:http://www.bimmerfest.com/foru...14081
At this point, who cares. A whole lot of misinformation going around with people comparing the Altima to the G and such without having a clue. The one thing I have noticed is that this forum does give kudo's where it is due (for the most part we are car enthusiast who lean towards Nissan products) while the BMW forums (and a few others) pretty much stick to their badge. In all honesty, the G should have won the last 3-series comparisson and BMW should have won this one.

It would be interesting to know what Infiniti has in store for the '09 G and how long it will take the aftermarket to come up with FI systems for the VQ35HR and VQ37VHR. Installing a FI system into the new G would put both cars on an equal price point with the performance nod being all Infiniti.

picus

audtatious wrote:
At this point, who cares. A whole lot of misinformation going around with people comparing the Altima to the G and such without having a clue. The one thing I have noticed is that this forum does give kudo's where it is due (for the most part we are car enthusiast who lean towards Nissan products) while the BMW forums (and a few others) pretty much stick to their badge. In all honesty, the G should have won the last 3-series comparisson and BMW should have won this one.

It would be interesting to know what Infiniti has in store for the '09 G and how long it will take the aftermarket to come up with FI systems for the VQ35HR and VQ37VHR. Installing a FI system into the new G would put both cars on an equal price point with the performance nod being all Infiniti.
Funny, I totally agree. I always thought the last G should have won that comparo. I never fully understood why the bimmer did.

CakeDaddy
Car: Y34,Pathfinder SE, Mercedes CLK500AMG Sport Pkg & A Fleet of Premium Avis Rental Cars

audtatious wrote:
stick to your badge! I like that

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

If you put FI on the G...it would no longer be a comparison.

J-Owner

Mr. C Blah Blah Blah....Everyone else on here from time to time spews their opinion and it doesn't sit well with others. We are all entitled to our opinions now aren't we. Consider this mine.

I can take being called asinine, I have been called worse, considering I don't know you and you have one post on this site I just dismiss your comment altogether.

Perhaps BMW owners in Gelndale are more normal, however, here in Dallas "Home of the thousand dollar millionaire" they are EXACTLY what I called them.

I was extremely unimpressed with the BMW coupe. It was plain on the inside, I didn't care for the drive and the overall exterior appearance of the car was also exactly what I called it DRAB!!!!!!!!!

Now perhaps I am biased, seeing as my G coupe is my fourth infiniti to own but I also own another luxury car that is not an infiniti, but don't worry it isn't a BMW either.

Perhaps I should not have picked such harsh words but considering some of the crap I read on that site you will forgive me if I refrain from an apology.

I have already driven the G37 and the BMW coupe and even if I were not an Infiniti owner I would still say that the G is a much better car.

As I said before, just my $0.02.

I hope everyone has a nice day

audtatious

joe603 wrote:If you put FI on the G...it would no longer be a comparison.
From a performace perspective you are correct. Of course, I'm sure the B-boys will increase their boost levels to compensate as well. As far as it no longer being a comparison, the 355i does have dual snails as it stands so the G with dual snails would simply flatten the playing field (altho at the cost of non-infiniti parts)

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

audtatious wrote:
From a performace perspective you are correct. Of course, I'm sure the B-boys will increase their boost levels to compensate as well. As far as it no longer being a comparison, the 355i does have dual snails as it stands so the G with dual snails would simply flatten the playing field (altho at the cost of non-infiniti parts)
If they do that, they had better install a decent oil cooler to make up for BMW's engineering error

MR C

audtatious wrote:As far as everyone complaining about Infiniti providing the 335i for the test, so what? The fact that the performance tests relatively all leaned towards BMW show that Infiniti did not work any black magic to skew numbers for the test. Sure, they could have lowered the output of the BMW while tweaking the G37 but the numbers show that did not happen. Finger pointing at Infiniti because they provided a car that did not come with a oil cooler from the factory is another cop out. BMW is the one who did not properly supply their cars with oil coolers in the first place.
Point taken. I was never pointing any of my 10 fingers at Infiniti, merely at MotorTrend for not having 'procured' the 335 from BMW directly (sure, perhaps BMW was reluctant to provide the car themselves...who knows). Again, there probably was no wrongdoing on anybody's part. However, when a 3rd party is conducting a so-called 'non-biased' comparison of any type, you don't go out and let one of the competitors provide the other party's goods. It's just the sheer principle of it. I'm in no way trying to justify why the 335 lost in this article, merely saying that the magazine could have done a better job of providing a more convincing argument in favor of the G37. Keep in mind that the majority of 335's out there (and even the majority of tracked 335's) have not encountered such extreme overheating.

Ultimately, yes BMW made a huge gaffe in neglecting to put proper oil coolers in the earliest batch of 335's w/ the slushbox. Their admission of guilt is clear...I've been told they are offering to retrofit oil coolers for those customers upon request.

picus

joe603 wrote:
If they do that, they had better install a decent oil cooler to make up for BMW's engineering error
Oh they could just option for the sport package (which more than 70% of 3 series owners do anyway) and get it from the factory. Mr. C is correct that if you have an auto w/sport you will receive an oil cooler at your request. I have an offer to put one in my car in writing, I declined for now since my car is running perfectly, and I don't want to mess with a good thing.

I really dislike when modding becomes a comparative topic. Of course adding FI to the G would make it more powerful, then again we both know even a *CHEAP* FI setup will be in the 8-10k range, whereas with the 335i you can buy a $1200 chip and be putting down 375jp/410tq to the wheels, which is about what FI'ing a G will get you. See? Playing the "my mods are bigger than your mods" game is just an endless battle. Fact is, you get a better rate on return modding an FI car; but with either you risk warranty issues, etc..

MR C

J-Owner wrote:I was extremely unimpressed with the BMW coupe. It was plain on the inside, I didn't care for the drive and the overall exterior appearance of the car was also exactly what I called it DRAB!!!!!!!!!
J-Owner wrote:I drove the BMW coupe when I was at Texas Motor Speedway and it was a drab boring POS!!
I didn't buy the 335 for its interior, and its exterior had very little sway in my decision (even though I love the way it looks). What got me out of my 06 A4 was a 20 minute testdrive. The dealmaker for me was how well it drives! The engine is phenomenal...tons of torque at low revs, zero turbo lag, well-connected to the road. Yes, a car is a total package, but most enthusiasts will judge a car based on its driving dynamics, not on sheer appearances alone.

Your original statement made it sound as if you had a boring time driving the car, which may be the case...you tell me. That would be the 1st time hearing that about the 335. I'm not a big fan of BMW's interiors, either. I was spoiled by Audi. The exterior of the 335...take it or leave it, but it is heaps better than previous Bangle designs. But I must say, and many would agree with me, that the 335 is far from boring to drive.

And, yes, you are of course entitled to your own opinion. That's why we all drive different cars.

Modified by MR C at 10:31 AM 6/27/2007
Modified by MR C at 1:08 PM 6/27/2007

picus

MR C wrote:
I didn't buy the 335 for its interior, and its exterior had very little sway in my decision (even though I love the way it looks). What got me out of my 06 A4 was a 20 minute testdrive. The dealbreaker for me was how great it drives! The engine is phenomenal...tons of torque at low revs, zero turbo lag. Yes, a car is a total package, but most enthusiasts will judge a car based on its driving dynamics, not on sheer appearances alone.

Your original statement made it sound as if you had a boring time driving the car, which may be the case...you tell me. That would be the 1st time hearing that about the 335. I'm not a big fan of BMW's interiors, either. I was spoiled by Audi. The exterior of the 335...take it or leave it, but it is heaps better than previous Bangle designs. But I must say, and many would agree with me, that the 335 is far from boring to drive.
Boring is relative. I do not find the 335i to be an exhilarating car day to day, and I own one. I did not find my G coupe or G sedan to be that exciting day to day either - in normal driving conditions what they are are reasonably powerful, compliant, easy to drive rides that are comfortable as a DD. Neither is a sports car, they are tourers with a sporty side at best. Sure, they can be interesting to punch, but neither is going to give you that heart pounding thrill you get a a real sports car. On the track both cars are "fun" to drive, but not in the same sense as an S2000 or Elise or 360 or a bike is fun to drive. Neither rev particularly high (especially the 335i), one doesn't have LSD which makes hard corners a lot less fun, neither can be considered very firmly sprung from the factory, the steering on one is a tad artificial... But ya, they can still be interesting to drive; they are a good compromise of DD and reasonably fun get up and go car. That's indicative of the whole segment.

Now, saying one is bland and the other is a super fun race car as J-Owner implied is just sillyness (imo), despite the obvious differences in the *way* they accelerate (med to high revving NA 6 vs low revving TT), the G-sedan and 335i (and one can only assume G37) are very similar in the way they track or drive day to day. The 335i suits me more, but I don't find either to be more or less fun. I guess what I am saying is if the 335i is boring, the G37 probably won't be a heck of a lot more thrilling. They're both overweight pigs when it comes to really tossing them around. The track times will really tell the story; I'd be shocked if they are more than a second apart on a 5 minutes track with equally good drivers.

If you want a fun car grab a light roadster. Hell, a Mini Cooper-S would probably roll them both on a track just due to it's weight advantage.

MR C

picus wrote:Now, saying one is bland and the other is a super fun race car as J-Owner implied is just sillyness (imo), despite the obvious differences in the *way* they accelerate (med to high revving NA 6 vs low revving TT), the G-sedan and 335i (and one can only assume G37) are very similar in the way they track or drive day to day. The 335i suits me more, but I don't find either to be more or less fun. I guess what I am saying is if the 335i is boring, the G37 probably won't be a heck of a lot more thrilling. They're both overweight pigs when it comes to really tossing them around. The track times will really tell the story; I'd be shocked if they are more than a second apart on a 5 minutes track with equally good drivers.

If you want a fun car grab a light roadster. Hell, a Mini Cooper-S would probably roll them both on a track just due to it's weight advantage.
Agreed. The 335, and the G for that matter, are not exhilarating to drive. They are far from ideal track cars. Rather, they are a nice gateway to what their segment attempts to achieve: a nice blend of sport and luxury without necessarily setting benchmarks in either. However, imo the 335 is a fun and comfortable daily driver. If I wanted to sacrifice some of the creature comforts in lieu of more performance, I would've gotten a different auto.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”