More hair pulling - programming keyless remote

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
NismoPick
Car: 97 Infiniti QX4
00 BMW 528i E39
94 Geo Metro
87 Toyota Pickup
81 Datsun 280ZXT

Let me start off by saying I have spent the last 2 weeks researching "how to program the keyless remote" for my 97 QX4. It seems so easy... every website has the same steps as FSM. I have verified through Nicoclub threads and my local Infiniti dealer that I have the correct remote FCC KOBUTA3T. I even stopped in and had the parts guy check the remote on the Kent Moore keyless remote checker (all buttons work).

With all doors closed and locked:
#1 Insert key 6+ times in less than 10sec till flashers flash twice
#2 Insert key again, turn to ACC
#3 Within 5sec press any remote button ONCE
#4 Flashers will flash showing it has accepted remote

I can get the flashers to flash after 6+ key inserts, meaning it's ready to accept new remote. But when I turn the key to ACC and press the remote lock button, nothing happens. I have read, and re-read the steps about 1249033408 times, and retried the process at least that many times. I even tried variations that I've read online (don't lock doors, turn the key to 1st position, turn key to ON).

My security LED does blink, and holds steady for ~30sec when I lock the doors. I've even tripped the alarm by reaching through an open window and unlocking the door from the inside. Short of pulling the "smart entrance control unit" and doing all the voltage / continuity tests, I'm at a loss... and I don't really want to spend ~$130-$200 for a trip to the dealer. The only thing I can fathom, is the receiver antenna is damaged... I have not yet checked the antenna because the FSM pic isn't very clear (LH rear pillar garnish)... don't know if that's at the back seat or cargo area. I did check under the LH cargo trim and didn't see anything that resembles the FSM pic (EL-194).

Anyone have keyless entry trouble shooting experience?

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Do you have a part number for the remote? It should match the one listed here:

NismoPick
00 BMW 528i E39
94 Geo Metro
87 Toyota Pickup
81 Datsun 280ZXT

It's 28268-0Z021
FCC KOBUTA3T

Slumpert
Car: 1997.4 Pathfinder

I have not tried this myself yet.. but there is two ways to get to step 2 and the directions are unclear.

Step 1 - insert key blah blah
step 2 - actually does not say insert key
looking at the FSM..
Step 2 Turn ignition key switch to ACC position

So maybe try sticking the key back in that "+" time and leave the key in the ignition and see if the flash occurs, then just turn the key to ACC

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

NismoPick: Had a similar problem with my mum's '06 Sentra.
Problems started about 2 weeks ago with the remote failing.
At first the car would not respond to input from the remote intermittently. Then it finally quit working altogether.
First suspect is always the battery. Tried two different batteries with no results.
Tried the reprogramming procedure dozens of times. No go.
Ordered a new FOB from the dealer last week ($95.00 cdn. (My mothers' money, not mine)).
Went in today to pick it up and have it programmed. New one worked first time.
Dealer tried to do the same with the old one: no go.
End result is that the old one is f'ed.
All this to say that I suspect your remote is probably toast as well.

NismoPick
00 BMW 528i E39
94 Geo Metro
87 Toyota Pickup
81 Datsun 280ZXT

Just an update for anyone else who decided to pull their hair out when the remote won't program...
Buzzman wrote:All this to say that I suspect your remote is probably toast as well.
^^^ This. :D

I bought two dead remotes on ebay. Long story short, one of the sellers sent me another one and it programmed the first time.

And an FYI for anyone searching out the FCC for their car if they need a replacement, the Smart Entrance Control Unit under the driver's kick panel has (or should have) a sticker stating the FCC number for that module. I figured that out after ripping into a bunch of junk yard Pathy's. :D

andrey7
Car: Infinity QX4, 2002

I bought mine remotes on ebay and got same steps in insctruction. It did not work for me. After watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es_f3IMmD20
I was able to program both remotes within couple minutes.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”