Monica talks about her experience

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Not the famous interaction, but the aftermath. Good talk on a topic that we see everyday online and in our society. :tisk:

txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

I am moved and impressed. For her to be able to do this after the hell that she has been through is admirable. Quite obviously her ordeal has made her stronger, and she is reaching out to help other victims. God bless her.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I saw this awhile back. I was impressed with her speech too. Clearly she made a whopper in bad judgement, but she's been pretty much tortured for the last 2 decades because of it. And if Hillary runs, it seems inevitable she's gonna attacked yet again.

themadscientist

I never really thought about it, but she was one of the early examples of a "trending" scandal. The world really is a different place now. We are so immersed in this interconnected world now, it's easy to forget that 20 years ago things didn't bounce around the world in minutes. I'm not sure we are so much better off because of it.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

All this post does is provide a reminder of the right's war on women and how wrong and disgusting they are.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2104367/rush-l ... show-host/

"Rush Limbaugh is no stranger to controversy, and one incident in 2012 could be part of the reason why WRKO and WIBC are dropping him. As previously reported by the Inquisitr, Limbaugh called Georgetown University Law Center student Sandra Fluke a “slut” and “prostitute” after she stated that birth control should be covered by her insurance. Limbaugh later apologized for his comments, but that didn’t stop a plethora of advertisers decided to stop sponsoring the popular talk show. Some of the advertisers Limbaugh lost include Sleep Train, Quicken Loans, and Carbonite.
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/2104367/rush-l ... Xk8h1o5.99"

Keep bringing up Monica and remind voters why they should vote for Hillary next year.

Telcoman

themadscientist

And there is the obligatory Howie post.

So, essentially, you would like to silence the victim of Bill Clinton's lack of character because it harms YOUR political agenda. Notice that was not a question mark. It's not a question. It's what you are attempting to do. But, it's the Republicans that have a war on women, riiiigggghhhhtttt. Hypocrite much? Yes. The Democrats like women as long as they hit their knees and open their mouths and most importantly keep their mouths shut after. Nice.

That is not approval for the Right's activities. They have just as much respect for women as you do, Howie. Your s*** would be as welcome in any room filled with powerful, selfish men, and Hillary Clinton.

txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

Gentlemen, gentlemen,

This thread is not about our differing political agendas, it is about Monica's incredible bravery in bringing to light the lack of compassion shown by the internet mindless slut-shaming mob. You can substitute any sort of "-shaming" that applies, really. The point is, let's set aside political disagreements and/or agendas on this thread and focus on just the point that Monica is trying to make.

You are getting very near violating some of the forum's policies regarding political discussion, I would think.

Cheers!

themadscientist

:rotfl

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

txchamps wrote:Gentlemen, gentlemen,

This thread is not about our differing political agendas, it is about Monica's incredible bravery in bringing to light the lack of compassion shown by the internet mindless slut-shaming mob. You can substitute any sort of "-shaming" that applies, really. The point is, let's set aside political disagreements and/or agendas on this thread and focus on just the point that Monica is trying to make.

You are getting very near violating some of the forum's policies regarding political discussion, I would think.

Cheers!
^^ Well said. Monica was a pioneering victim for internet shaming and sleazy political bashing at a national level, a dubious honor most of us would find hard to swallow...ahem. To use her predicament in this thread (regardless of political bias) for a cheap political jab is tasteless and reinforces what she said in her speech.

themadscientist

No doubt. There's no denying the right's outrage was not for her benefit, but for theirs. I don't think either side was interested in her other than using her as a device. I would like to say that it's because the backdrop where it occurred was political, but women in this situation in any field could expect to be treated the same and that's terrible. The way her specific experience vis a vis being plastered all over the internet and having her character assassinated by keyboard warriors with little to no facts and complete immunity from responsibility for their hateful speech can be applied to the net today. We are a vicious pack of heathers online and lord help you if you do something the people on the internet don't like. You will be PWNED. Ah "social" media.

Return to “Politics Etc.”