misses at idol, and surges under boost

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
nayrGTRr32
Car: 89 R32 GTR Skyline

hey guys,
need some opinions here. i have an r32 GTR and looking to get it registered on a low budget. the car runs well with exception of slight misses at idol and surges under mid to high boost. Am thinking it is the coil packs as they are still the factory ones. if anyone could get back to me with advice or anything to help me get my beast on the road with little cost as possible, would be much appreciated. Many thanks :sad:

qwertyz
Car: awd s14

here ebay this 270805018190 and if coils dont fix it let me know i tell u what will

nayrGTRr32
Car: 89 R32 GTR Skyline

cheers mate, really appreciate the help. dont get much time at the computer as im workin night shift and have a 3yr old son that needs attention also. hehehe will b looking at spending time on the gtr on the weekend and will let u know how i get on with it. thanks again mate.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

OP.

Where are you located? Just curious because I am guessing by your use of certain vocab you are either from the UK area or down in Aus.

Not many other people use "on the weekend" except the UK and Aussie types.

I don't care either way, but just curious.

Oh, and welcome to NICO.

tyndago

Vacuum leak?

qwertyz

NO vacuum leak......... BOOST LEAK two different things.. you cant add an alternative fuel source when you boosting cause boost will push it out and not suck it in and also you driving... unless you on a dyno and you can spray soapy water on the pipes to see the bobbles coming out

rig up a tool for boost leak and find it

and dont tell me trying to add alternative fuel when idling, you will find a vacuum leak and you will fix it, but under 8 psi of PRESSURE you still going to have a BOOST LEAK somewhere else......

julio
Car: RB26 AWD converted S14

qwertyz wrote:NO vacuum leak......... BOOST LEAK two different things.. you cant add an alternative fuel source when you boosting cause boost will push it out and not suck it in and also you driving... unless you on a dyno and you can spray soapy water on the pipes to see the bobbles coming out

rig up a tool for boost leak and find it

and dont tell me trying to add alternative fuel when idling, you will find a vacuum leak and you will fix it, but under 8 psi of PRESSURE you still going to have a BOOST LEAK somewhere else......
This confuses me lol, who said anything about an alternative fuel source?

tyndago

julio wrote:
qwertyz wrote:NO vacuum leak......... BOOST LEAK two different things.. and dont tell me trying to add alternative fuel when idling, you will find a vacuum leak and you will fix it, but under 8 psi of PRESSURE you still going to have a BOOST LEAK somewhere else......
This confuses me lol, who said anything about an alternative fuel source?
A vacuum leak, in most spots becomes a boost leak. If you spray carb cleaner at the cold side of the engine, around the fuel injectors, you will hear a change in idle rpm.

At idle you aren't going to have a boost leak. Under boost, you aren't going to have a vacuum leak. It is more or less the same thing. You possibility have a leak.

qwertyz

Right..... what he said^^^^^ (only carb clean dont work all the time cause ecm will adjust for that really quick unless you looking at the o2' readings or short term and long term fuel trims)
so best thing would be to rig up a boost leak tester and check for all the leaks vacuum and boost

julio
Car: RB26 AWD converted S14

tyndago wrote:
julio wrote:This confuses me lol, who said anything about an alternative fuel source?
A vacuum leak, in most spots becomes a boost leak. If you spray carb cleaner at the cold side of the engine, around the fuel injectors, you will hear a change in idle rpm.

At idle you aren't going to have a boost leak. Under boost, you aren't going to have a vacuum leak. It is more or less the same thing. You possibility have a leak.
lol: That comment was only in reference to it's legibility, not the concept.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”