Mirror Clicking & Auto Seat

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
The00Dustin
Car: 2006 M45

If my memory serves me correctly, I have learned through a combination of various posts on this forum that if the mirror clicks when you put the car in reverse and it is automatically going down, there is a bad position sensor that would be covered by warranty, and that with this position sensor dysfunctional, the auto seat settings won't work.

That said, as I am the only one who drives my car, I disabled the exit position on the steering wheel and seat. I recently had a much shorter person drive my car, and it was quite difficult for me to get into afterwards. This person also set the passenger mirror to go down, and upon putting my car in reverse, the mirror clicked twice. However, when out of reverse, the mirror did go back to what appears to be the correct position. To confirm this was a consistent issue, and verify the other mirror was fine, I later tried both mirrors in reverse again. The driver side was fine, but the passenger side clicked again, this time four times, but it still appeared to go to the correct position afterwards.

Anyway, the seat did not go to my position upon unlocking the car with the door button or the fob button, nor did it go back when I started the car. The manual states that the seat should move when the car is started, which explains why it didn't move when I unlocked the door. However, it also states that auto-exit can be enabled and disabled by holding down the memory position button for 10 seconds while the ignition is in the lock position, I tried this, but it made no difference. I then proceeded to enable the auto-exit seat through the video screen while the ignition was in ACC. I then proceeed to move my seat before starting the car. When I started the car, the seat did not go back to the memory position. Unfortunately, the manual isn't incredibly clear about what is normal or expected between these functionalities, so I have a few questions regarding what exactly is normal:

1) Does the seat memory position only get restored when auto-exit functionality is used?

2) Does the auto-exit functionality need to be enabled for the seat and the steering wheel in order for this to happen?

3) Should the seat go to the memory position upon ignition when the auto-exit functionality is used, but the seat has been moved since exit?

I would like to know what is normal before I ask the dealer to look at the car, because while I suspect the mirror should be replaced, I don't know whether or not I should even mention the seat stuff, as related or otherwise. Thoughts?

goM35
Car: 2006 M35X, Umbria/Bourbon

I had the same problem with the passenger mirror on my 06 X. Dealer replaced mirror under warranty and it's worked fine ever since.

As for the memory question, my car seems to have Alzeimers! sometimes it remembers my position, othertimes not. It also has trouble remembering which key is set to which memory preset. I've had it into the dealer numberous times and they say it works fine. Reading other threads, its not uncommon to have this problem. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

I know we were talking about this in the last thread but you have specific questions for this that I will try to answer the best I can without seeing your car.

The ADP system controls and oversees 4 functions that encompass several features and a myriad of sensors. The 4 basic functions are Memory Feature, Exiting position, Entry position Intelligent Key Interlock positioning. The first three are a given but the fourth is a feature that some people know very little about. This is actually seems like it requires you to hit one of the buttons on the remote, say the unlock button to register the driver position requested, although I do not think it works by walking up to the car as some of the newer models do.

Infiniti loves to change little things each year so it makes us (the techs) do allot of reading.
The00Dustin wrote: 1) Does the seat memory position only get restored when auto-exit functionality is used?
No the seat memory should work regardless of the exiting function. What does the light on the ADP switch do when you hit the button in this case?
The00Dustin wrote: 2) Does the auto-exit functionality need to be enabled for the seat and the steering wheel in order for this to happen?
It should not. However the system may act up if a fault is detected. I'll go into that below.
The00Dustin wrote: 3) Should the seat go to the memory position upon ignition when the auto-exit functionality is used, but the seat has been moved since exit?
If the seat has been moved after the ignition is switched to lock the system will not activate at the next startup. The original driver will have to manually press the position switch.
The00Dustin wrote: I would like to know what is normal before I ask the dealer to look at the car, because while I suspect the mirror should be replaced, I don't know whether or not I should even mention the seat stuff, as related or otherwise. Thoughts?
I understand you wanting to know more about this system as it seems simple from the outside. The fact of the matter is there is very little information available to the consumer on this system and a fault in any component the system will either stop working or start working and then stop, until the ignition is cycled. Depending on the type of fault the BCM with throw a flag on the play and the system may stop mid travel. In the case where your mirror is intermittently acting up if it's position is set and not moved the position sensor will send the thumbs up to the bcm. The bcm will then go on to the next step of it's operation if the check signals come back good. There is little to no flexibility in the logic of the computer regarding this operation so it cannot interpret things like a sticking mirror and work around it. If something like the seat forward slide position does not register the complete cycle will take place but if the seat moves forward enough to trigger the sensor it may stop prematurely and no one would ever know. The problem lies in the order of operation.

Newer systems use position sensors that are slightly more accurate positioning sensors and a slightly more advanced logic in the controlling devices but in you case this is what we have to work with.

The00Dustin
Car: 2006 M45

SteveTheTech, thanks for the incredibly informative post. I notice now that I failed to mention I am in an 06 M45.
SteveTheTech wrote:The ADP system controls and oversees 4 functions that encompass several features and a myriad of sensors. The 4 basic functions are Memory Feature, Exiting position, Entry position Intelligent Key Interlock positioning. The first three are a given but the fourth is a feature that some people know very little about. This is actually seems like it requires you to hit one of the buttons on the remote, say the unlock button to register the driver position requested, although I do not think it works by walking up to the car as some of the newer models do.
I know I didn't I hit the button on the remote, so that could explain it, I did when testing after the fact, but your response to my third question may explain why that didn't work. So is this to imply that the unlock button on the door would not cause this (I'm not sure I even did that during the original incident)? In such a case, would you expect the unlock button on the remote to trigger this even if the door was already unlocked? I ask this because the buttons on the door definitely don't work when the ignition is off.
SteveTheTech wrote:1) Does the seat memory position only get restored when auto-exit functionality is used?No the seat memory should work regardless of the exiting function. What does the light on the ADP switch do when you hit the button in this case?
Everything will go back to normal when I hit the ADP button, but ONLY if the ignition is in the on position and the car is not moving (it may work in ACC, may or may not have to be in park, I haven't tried every possible scenario, but I know the Windows typically won't open in ACC ). Regarding what the light on said button does, at what point do I need to be looking at it?

SteveTheTech wrote:2) Does the auto-exit functionality need to be enabled for the seat and the steering wheel in order for this to happen?It should not. However the system may act up if a fault is detected. I'll go into that below.
I am guessing no fault was detected, as the mirror would not have been going down and clicking, so it would have been in a normal position, and it goes back to the programmed position with the switch, even after clicking (on that note, I tried it again and it clicked 6 times, but surely it won't add 2 clicks every time I try it).

SteveTheTech wrote:3) Should the seat go to the memory position upon ignition when the auto-exit functionality is used, but the seat has been moved since exit?If the seat has been moved after the ignition is switched to lock the system will not activate at the next startup. The original driver will have to manually press the position switch.
This may be exactly what happened in my testing, so I will have to test again.

yosM45
Car: 2006 M45 Sport Twighlight Blue

Steve,

Maybe you could help me with this one.

I programed my settings to my intel key. So if my wife drove my car, and changed my memory settings, I could come back and unlock the car with my key, and the car would revert everything back to my memory settings.

The issue I had was that if no else drove my car, and none of the settings were changed, SOMETIMES, the car would think that it need to change the setting on the mirror and the steering wheel.

The mirror was already in the position I wanted it to be in, so when it would adjust it's self for no reason, that it is when it would begin to click 4-5 times.Infiniti of Tampa said it was the actuator in the mirror, replaced the mirror and it has never happened again.

The steering wheel is another issue. Same scenario. No one else has driven the car. The steering wheel is set to go all the way up when I exit the car.

Normally it goes up and stays up until I start the car. This is the way it's supposed to work. But every now and then, more often than not, it does what the mirror was doing. I'll unlock the car, and it will move the steering column in every which direction, trying to find the perfect spot, only to return to the full upward tilt position. Very odd.

It will then go to my setting once I start the car, but it still did this tilt search for 20 seconds before I've even opened the door. And it only does it sometimes. The Tech at Tampa said that it wasn't normal and they called it in to Infiniti's head office and none of the engineers there knew what could be causing it, so to this day, it still moves around 3 out of 4 times when I unlock the car.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Now that is an intersting one. I've never seen that on an M, some of the newer Gs I have seen this in but only with ones that have the key programmed to the position and it never happens more than once. This makes diagnosis difficult if not near impossible. The steering column uses two variable rate positioning sensors for height and distance position. If one of them is not reading what is known to be the requested position I would think it may return to its start position.

Next time you come in remind me about that and I'll take a look at the system and let you know if I find anything.

yosM45
Car: 2006 M45 Sport Twighlight Blue

I'll be in for my 60k service soon. I'll show you what it does.

Thanks Steve!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”