Mildew'ish scent when I open the sunroof

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Q45-pj
Car: 2000 Q45 anniversary edition. Grey/black leather.

Whenever I open my sunroof a weird mildewy scent fills the car. Like an "old" smell. It happens when I open the windows for the first time but it's very faint. No where near as stron as the sunroof. I read on a bimmer forum when I googled it and some of the guys were saying track area of the sunroof needed to be cleaned. Others said something about clogged drainage for the roof water. What do you guys think?
Oh" and one more thing. Ngk laser platinum or double platinum. I currently have irridium but since I have to do the valve cover gasket I'll put in a new set of plugs. (I'm learning)

BCC93QT
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45

When it has rained heavily give the interior part of your sunroof a touch. If it is damp the lining needs replacement. It shrinks over time due to constant saturation and sun warping. I bet there is plenty of mildew inside there which will need cleaning. I suggest a full removal, cleaning, degrease/regrease

Q45-pj

Is that a dealer item? Or a DIY? I just looked for "00 q45 sunroof lining" and got nothing relevant. Although this, and one other post I made came up. Or were you referring to the headliner?
Thanks!

Q45-pj

The smell sis coming from the trunk! Which normally wouldn't be exciting, but knowing it's something that can be dealt w/at a car wash rather than having to dismantle the sunroof assembly for cleaning, degreasing, and, re greasing is nothing short of amazing.
Woot woot!
:( I may have to sell the Q. Already listed on the forum. But the good news is I found one locally that pretty much ready to go. Do you think I should go w/the newer one or stick w/the current one since I already know what's wrong?

Q45-pj

BCC93QT wrote:When it has rained heavily give the interior part of your sunroof a touch. If it is damp the lining needs replacement. It shrinks over time due to constant saturation and sun warping. I bet there is plenty of mildew inside there which will need cleaning. I suggest a full removal, cleaning, degrease/regrease
I found it! The water exit tube was clogged. Completely caked up w/wet dirt. I really should've said mud.

This was the tube that was clogged.

All kinds of bad.

So I cleaned it out. I even took pics every step of the way. Since the write ups have been so helpful I thought I make one ;) thanks for helping

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Thanks for posting the pics and following up! Looks like you had a mobile composter going there...

Heath

dalenpalmer

New roofs need to be maintained well so that they do not get any repairs in future.And replacement and repairs now a days costs a lot of money.So they are online services that cost less and give us the best result..

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”