MIL just showed up, also no air bag light EVER

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
masshead87
Car: 1996 Infiniti Q45

Been putting some miles on my Q now that the steering issue is done, ride has been great! Today, I gassed up and took a 25 mile trip, got back in the car 3 hours later and the MIL stayed on. Went to my owners manual to see what it said and found myself on the sir bag light page. I read that the light is supposed to stay on for 7 seconds.: its never lit up since I bought it. In fact during my test drive it was blinking, and the dealer said he'd take care of it. Well, it wasn't blinking anyway. What should I attempt to solve either or both of these issues?

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Hope he didn't take care of it by removing the bulb. Does it come on during the "bulb check" when you first turn the key to the on position before starting the car?

I would certainly look though the FSM (factory service manual) to investigate your code. It's available at www.nicoclub.com/FSM/

Heath

masshead87

Q451990 wrote:Hope he didn't take care of it by removing the bulb. Does it come on during the "bulb check" when you first turn the key to the on position before starting the car?
Nope, it doesn't light up at all. Ever. Taking the bulb out sounds like something this dealer would do, too. Bummer, but I don't think they've been harvested, both the horn and passenger side feel solid. I'm looking in the FSM for ideas, but any pointers would be appreciated. Can I test the airbag system myself somehow?
Q451990 wrote: I would certainly look though the FSM (factory service manual) to investigate your code. It's available at http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/
Went to Advance today, got a knock sensor code that I'm not too worried about, and a P0136, rear seated O2 sensor. Damn. At 95k, I should probably just replace all of em but I'm broke. I might just run through the diagnostic steps but I'm fairly sure it's cooked, fuel economy has gone down noticably, but not ridiculously. Again, any pointers appreciated. I saw a writeup on elwesso's page that basically said the job sucked, LOL.

masshead87

I forgot to add that the reader said the fault was at Bank 1, Sensor 2. Could someone link exactly which replacement sensor I need? I don't know if I'm looking at left or right. My Q was built 6/96.

Also, would the door switch trick (ignition on, press switch >10X in 10 secs) work to turn the air bag light back on - if the bulb's still in, anyway - during the bulb test?

masshead87

Could still use some advice.

Ordered BG 44K today, plan to fill with V-Power and dump that in, then clear the codes. If they come back, I'm thinking of just waiting a few more K miles and replacing all 4 with the rest of the under plenum stuff. Drivability isn't affected at all, even after roughly 500 miles with the light on. Warm idle is solid at 650, no stumbles. Is that a Kosher plan?

Air bag fuse looks OK, for some reason haven't remembered to try the door trick. I might do some further scrounging in time but my last car didn't have airbags at all, so really....

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”