Mazda 3?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
BBISHOPPCM
Car: 2006 Murano S/AWD w/ Convenience Package

My plan was to keep this car forever, but two factors play into this; I cannot get up my driveway when there's more than an inch of snow (it's a VERY long graded driveway that is plowed by the condo association) and the car is aging... by the time it's paid off, it should have nearly 200,000 miles on it. What will I replace it with? I'd like it to be another Versa, however, I need traction control. Plain and simple. My next car will have traction control, ABS, and... what the hell... a sunroof. Also, the lack of fold-flat seats is a major problem for me. I was checking out the Mazda 3, and it offers everything I need... for just a bit more money. NISSAN!!! ARE YOU READING THIS FORUM!!? Realistically, I plan on replacing the car in 2012, so this isn't happening anytime soon. NISSAN, ARE YOU LISTENING?!?!? I'm giving them enough time to come up with SOMETHING... how about a Versa Touring package? It should have ABS, Traction Control, Sunroof, Luggage Rack, and FOLD FLAT SEATS!!! Mazda can do it for $21,000. Just drop the Sentra, nobody's buying the damn things anyway! Replace it with a higher-end Versa, you know, offer the Americans what you already give the Chinese. Nissan, ARE YOU LISTENING???

SuperTurbo

Well....

A. Nissan is stupid (or they have some other agreement with other Japan Automaker)B. They know the Versa can kill the Corolla spot, but they just don't want to do itC. Within the past 10 yrs, Nissan is only famous for it's expensive cars (Ex. Maxima, Altima) Sentra, Quest... no one really care about them....

Seriously buddy.... think about other cars, I don't have a good feeling Nissan will do anything about it....

Look at now, trying to bring Cube, and it's the one without the e4WD system too... Both Versa & Cube are kind of ugly lookin car for sure, but.... they still do it....

Red Devil
Car: 1990 240SX w/t SR20 and 08 Nissan Versa SL

BBISHOPPCM wrote:My plan was to keep this car forever, but two factors play into this; I cannot get up my driveway when there's more than an inch of snow (it's a VERY long graded driveway that is plowed by the condo association) and the car is aging... by the time it's paid off, it should have nearly 200,000 miles on it. What will I replace it with? I'd like it to be another Versa, however, I need traction control. Plain and simple. My next car will have traction control, ABS, and... what the hell... a sunroof. Also, the lack of fold-flat seats is a major problem for me. I was checking out the Mazda 3, and it offers everything I need... for just a bit more money. NISSAN!!! ARE YOU READING THIS FORUM!!? Realistically, I plan on replacing the car in 2012, so this isn't happening anytime soon. NISSAN, ARE YOU LISTENING?!?!? I'm giving them enough time to come up with SOMETHING... how about a Versa Touring package? It should have ABS, Traction Control, Sunroof, Luggage Rack, and FOLD FLAT SEATS!!! Mazda can do it for $21,000. Just drop the Sentra, nobody's buying the damn things anyway! Replace it with a higher-end Versa, you know, offer the Americans what you already give the Chinese. Nissan, ARE YOU LISTENING???
Would you like some cheese with that?

BBISHOPPCM
Car: 2006 Murano S/AWD w/ Convenience Package

Hehe...

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

Quote »Both Versa & Cube are kind of ugly lookin car for sure [/quote]I disagree, I think the Versa is not bad. The Honda Fit, in my opinion, is ugly. I saw a new one today, yeesh. It looks like a doorstop wedge with wheels.

#1Tango

Bubs daddy wrote:
I disagree, I think the Versa is not bad. The Honda Fit, in my opinion, is ugly. I saw a new one today, yeesh. It looks like a doorstop wedge with wheels.
x2 except i think it looks like a roller skate

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

I agree. Whats with all the glass beside the dash! Weird :S

I love my V though. I have the sunroof and love it

#1Tango

iluvmyVersa08 wrote: I have the sunroof and love it
lucky

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

AWD Rogue. /thread

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

The Mazda 3 isn't bad, but it feels cheaper than the V IMO. My fiance has a 2007 Mazda Touring sedan. It's a good car but not nearly as comfortable for long trips compared to the V. We always take my V for trips and such. No major issues with it so far. Her car has begun idling really low and sometimes her brake pedal depresses all the way to the floor at stop lights and sometimes stalls (automatic tranny). So I think that is all interrelated. We just haven't had time to take it in.

As far as getting up your driveway...the Mazda isn't going to really be any different. She scraps on curbs just like I do.

matt_a

Knightro2 wrote:...As far as getting up your driveway...the Mazda isn't going to really be any different.
I was just going to say the same thing. Traction control helps keep the car more stable while driving, but it won't make a big difference for the kind of traction you need to climb a snowy driveway. The only way you'll notice a big improvement is if you get a vehicle with AWD.

The Mazda 3 is a nice car, but it is waaaay tighter inside than a Versa (especially in rear-seat leg room). Maybe that wont matter to you, but it would to me.

KimberKenobi
Car: the Camel

biggie wrote:AWD Rogue. /thread
rofl.

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

matt_a wrote:
The Mazda 3 is a nice car, but it is waaaay tighter inside than a Versa (especially in rear-seat leg room). Maybe that wont matter to you, but it would to me.
Main reason [the reason?] I bought a Versa and not a Mazda.

7speed

Subaru Impreza wagon? AWD instead of T/C? Just a thought.
matt_a wrote:... it is waaaay tighter inside than a Versa (especially in rear-seat leg room). Maybe that wont matter to you, but it would to me.
x9879087324987632

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

#1Tango wrote:
lucky
lol. cost a pretty penny for the sport/tech package, but it was worth it! love it!

feloniousmonk

iluvmyVersa08 wrote:I agree. Whats with all the glass beside the dash! Weird
Look at how steep the windshield is and look at where the doors are mounted. The answer should be obvious.

AG

Traction control would not necessarily help. Manuals for cars with TC even advise to turn it off when driving in deep snow, to allow tires spin (TC does not allow wheels to loose traction at all, so in a deep snow they might be spinning veeeery slow, or probably even not spinning at all).

feloniousmonk

SuperTurbo wrote:Well.... A. Nissan is stupid (or they have some other agreement with other Japan Automaker)
Nissan is not stupid. Some people who work for them... uh... well... uh... Let's face it, no one is perfect and we all make bad decisions from time to time.

Quote »B. They know the Versa can kill the Corolla spot, but they just don't want to do it[/quote]Oh they do? How do you know this? Psychic friends network?

Quote »C. Within the past 10 yrs, Nissan is only famous for it's expensive cars (Ex. Maxima, Altima) Sentra, Quest... no one really care about them....[/quote]That's your opinion. And who are you?

Quote »Both Versa & Cube are kind of ugly lookin car for sure, but.... they still do it....[/quote]Again, that's your opinion. And who are you?

Offering AWD as an option would be nice, but most people don't need AWD so why must Nissan offer it? If they did you'd be b****ing about how expensive the cars are (and you're already doing just that). Besides, if AWD was so essential, then wouldn't our Canadian forum friends be slipping and sliding to their fiery graves by now? Plus, Nissan already has the Rogue as their entry level AWD product. I wouldn't say Nissan is stupid. The way they resolved the launch control issue on the GT-R is quite admirable. Honestly, Nissan (being a cost conscious business unlike the Detroit 3) won't do something unless there is a good business case for it. What leads to a business case? Demand. Write to Nissan and let them know what you want. Talking smack about it online isn't productive.

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

frankohabs wrote:Main reason [the reason?] I bought a Versa and not a Mazda.
I would of got a Mazda 3, but I couldn't even get approved through a loan with them for some odd reason. My credit score was in the good, and still didn't approved. I got one through Nissan at 1.9% APR 60 Mos and have my car currently.

VersaMG08
'14 Nissan 370z

SuperTurbo wrote:Well....

A. Nissan is stupid (or they have some other agreement with other Japan Automaker)B. They know the Versa can kill the Corolla spot, but they just don't want to do itC. Within the past 10 yrs, Nissan is only famous for it's expensive cars (Ex. Maxima, Altima) Sentra, Quest... no one really care about them....

Seriously buddy.... think about other cars, I don't have a good feeling Nissan will do anything about it....

Look at now, trying to bring Cube, and it's the one without the e4WD system too... Both Versa & Cube are kind of ugly lookin car for sure, but.... they still do it....
I've seen a lot more Altima and Maxima owners on the roads than Versa and Sentra owners, don't know why. They're vehicles priced cheaper than the other two.

feloniousmonk

Mile High Versa wrote:I've seen a lot more Altima and Maxima owners on the roads than Versa and Sentra owners, don't know why. They're vehicles priced cheaper than the other two.
Because North Americans like mid-size sedans over small hatchbacks and sedans. It's not that they absolutely need the extra size (most of the time it's just them in the car, no one else), it's the stigma small cars have that is ingrained into their minds. Once they get in the Versa, they'd be surprised by how spacious it is, but they'd still be hard press to think about buying one because of the aforementioned stigma.

Easy access to fast food and wide roads don't help either. Precisely the reason small cars are more popular in Europe.

Red Devil

Mile High Versa wrote:I've seen a lot more Altima and Maxima owners on the roads than Versa and Sentra owners, don't know why. They're vehicles priced cheaper than the other two.
They are better appointed and look better. If I would've had the money I would've gotten an Altima Coupe myself.

SuperTurbo

feloniousmonk wrote:
Nissan is not stupid. Some people who work for them... uh... well... uh... Let's face it, no one is perfect and we all make bad decisions from time to time.

Oh they do? How do you know this? Psychic friends network?

That's your opinion. And who are you?

Again, that's your opinion. And who are you?

Offering AWD as an option would be nice, but most people don't need AWD so why must Nissan offer it? If they did you'd be b****ing about how expensive the cars are (and you're already doing just that). Besides, if AWD was so essential, then wouldn't our Canadian forum friends be slipping and sliding to their fiery graves by now? Plus, Nissan already has the Rogue as their entry level AWD product. I wouldn't say Nissan is stupid. The way they resolved the launch control issue on the GT-R is quite admirable. Honestly, Nissan (being a cost conscious business unlike the Detroit 3) won't do something unless there is a good business case for it. What leads to a business case? Demand. Write to Nissan and let them know what you want. Talking smack about it online isn't productive.
Seriously, looks like you should do some researches before you try to start this type of annoying forum war...

1. You made a wrong decision, it's a wrong decision. Have you ever got some marks dock off by your teacher?? Probably a Yes, so... deal with it

2. Check the specs of both cars (Corolla & Versa, and do a comparsion) and then have this convo

3. If the Cube is using the exact same stuff, why bother to get 2 cars out?(As you said, like the big 3, create a car called Ponatic Transport, and Chevy Venture?? What for?)

4. I said e4WD "e" it's not 4WD, again, do some research before you try to BS a whole bunch of sliding, and slippin

5. Walk around, count how many Altima & Maxima on the road, and DO a survey, ask PPL what car model do they remember from Nissan!!

VersaMG08
'14 Nissan 370z

I prefer the Altima 3.5L V6 sedan over the coupe. The coupe looks all weird, not used to seeing it like that.

feloniousmonk

SuperTurbo wrote:Seriously, looks like you should do some researches before you try to start this type of annoying forum war...
You are the one starting with the negative comments so don't you point the finger at me for starting a war. I have done plenty of research. I have over 14 years in advertising. Past clients include Sun Microsystems, Nike, Motorola and Visa. I currently work on marketing materials for a car manufacturer. I live and breath the auto industry 24/7. What do you do? that makes you such an expert?
SuperTurbo wrote:1. You made a wrong decision, it's a wrong decision. Have you ever got some marks dock off by your teacher?? Probably a Yes, so... deal with it
What the hell are you talking about?
SuperTurbo wrote:Check the specs of both cars (Corolla & Versa, and do a comparsion) and then have this convo
You should heed your own advice. The Corolla is not a direct competitor to the Versa. It's a competitor to the Sentra. The Versa is also not a direct competitor to the Fit. The Fit is a subcompact. The Versa is actually classified as a mid-size (packaged to mimmic a subcompact both in appearance and price).
SuperTurbo wrote:3. If the Cube is using the exact same stuff, why bother to get 2 cars out?(As you said, like the big 3, create a car called Ponatic Transport, and Chevy Venture?? What for?)
Let's talk about this "stuff" you speak off. The cube may have the same "engine" and "transmission" as the Versa, but the two cars are not the same. Do they look the same to you? To save you the public embarrassment, the correct answer is "no". The two cars appeal to (and are targeted to) two very different groups of potential buyers. The cube is aimed at people who want something unique, funky, fun, etc. It's a lifestyle-oriented product with emphasis on style. The Versa is targeted to people who want value and those who don't like "toasters on wheels". There are many on this forum who will back me up on that. BlindSnyper, feel free to chime in. The cube is all about being stylish (artsy exterior, interior and instrument panel). The Versa is all about function and practicality (look at the seat cover material, and instrument panel — no flash, all tried and true conventional stuff; it just works).
SuperTurbo wrote:4. I said e4WD "e" it's not 4WD, again, do some research before you try to BS a whole bunch of sliding, and slippin
I know what you said. eAWD is also a form of AWD. And just as conventional mechanical AWD, it is not necessary for most applications or most drivers. Every car any manufacturer produces is packaged specifically to meet a target price. If Nissan were to include eAWD, obviously the price would have to increase to cover their costs. FYI, in Japan, eAWD is not standard equipment. Furthermore, eAWD has yet to be offered for the new cube over there. You are thinking of the previous generation cube. It may or may not be offered again, we'll find out eventually.

"BS about sliding and slipping"? That's all the rebuttal you can come up with? The sole purpose of eAWD or AWD is to provide traction at all four wheels, which subsequently enhance handling in extremely slippery conditions such as heavy rain, loose road surfaces, snow and ice. I am not making this up.

http://answers.yahoo.com/quest...tIUt7
SuperTurbo wrote:5. Walk around, count how many Altima & Maxima on the road, and DO a survey, ask PPL what car model do they remember from Nissan!!
Those cars may be rare in your neck of the woods, it doesn't mean your little corner of the world can accurately represent the rest of the world. Here in California, both cars are quite popular. The Altima is actually Nissan's best seller and I have seen the numbers. As for Nissan not being successful, under Carlos Ghosn's direction, Nissan is in far greater shape than most of the other car manufacturers. Until the recent down turn in sales (caused by the financial market's melt-down and is a plight shared by all automakers), Nissan was reported to be well-off enough to be in talks with both Chrysler and GM about how it can help those embattled companies out.

What car model do people remember from Nissan? Wow, how about the Z (every single one made). How about the Skyline and GT-R variants? Silvia (S14, S15, etc.). Nissan R390. Nissan IMSA NTPI (all variants). Should I continue?

For someone who readily spews disrespect to the Nissan brand on a forum dedicated to that very brand, I find you quite immature and annoying. I welcome all mature discussions, but I will not stand your blatant disrespect. To save you some face, let's take this outside the forum if you wish to continue. However, I suggest you do your home work and be more prepared next time.

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

damn

VersaMG08
'14 Nissan 370z

You put a lot of thought into that. I think you just schooled her!

Red Devil

Are we sure SuperTurbo is still the same person? Maybe mightyversa took over their account....lol. Maybe it's just Canadians in general

VersaMG08
'14 Nissan 370z

lmfao You have a point...

Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

Knightro2 wrote:The Mazda 3 isn't bad, but it feels cheaper than the V IMO. My fiance has a 2007 Mazda Touring sedan.
As an owner of both, I have to disagree on this one. Although, I do have the Grand Touring with heated leather, Xenons, auto climate control, trip computer, and rain-sensing wipers which are features hard to find on any other vehicle in or near this price range. The leather goes a long way in sprucing up the 3's interior, and if it were cloth, the Versa would probably have the edge since it has the nicely padded door arm rests and a pretty similar level of plasic quality throughout. The 3's engine is far more refined and has a nice exhaust note when you open it up. Overall, the 3 feels more upscale.

At an MSRP of $24k for the Mazda3 GT, it is a bargain, considering any other car with the same features will likely be north of $30k (think Audi A3 or Volvo S40).

But, that said, our Versa SL with bluetooth, intelligent key, sunroof, and ABS is no slouch, either. Bluetooth and I-key aren't even available on the 3. A fricken trip computer to estimate gas mileage shouldn't be too much to ask for, though.

The 3 really is in a different performance league than the Versa. The 2.3L propels an automatic model from 0-60 in under 8 seconds, manual is 7.3 seconds according to C/D. Handling is probably the best in its class, and magazines and consumers alike commonly rank it as one of the best performing cars for the money. It was voted car of the year for 2008 by readers at The Truth About Cars.com for a reason.

But the two drawbacks of the 3, which actually led me to purchase the Versa for my wife, were the cramped rear seat (you pay for that svelte exterior shape handsomely in interior space) and the mediocre gas mileage. Larger cars like the G35 and IS350 have about the same leg room as the Mazda3, however, and I, at 6'1" fit back there just fine. I average 25 MPG in town, but our Versa gets close to 30 on the same cycle. Push the 3 hard, and you'll get down to the EPA rating of 22 MPG in town. That's disappointing for a ~2900lb, 156hp car, especially when cargo volume pales in comparison to the more efficient Versa.

Return to “Versa General Chat”