Maxima, what to look for

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
turbo98_240sx
Car: computers, cars, anything that can do something and be made to do it faster stronger or better

Since I need a winter car and a more suitable daily driver I've been looking into getting a maxima I don't know exactly what I want but I love Nissan and there is a good possibility that I'll go with another SE-R sentra or even a 200sx either way I go it's gonna see light mods (for performance not looks I want this car to stay as low key as possible I'm sick of tickets.). I noticed that this forum isn't nearly as active as the KA-T forums but thought I would post up anyways since you guys must be die hard maxima owners (and that's a good thing). Anyways I was wondering if there are certain things that I should look for in the maximas; IE prone to rust in a certain spot on whatever generation or years, or ones with spoilers tend to leak from 19xx-19xx/200x, moon roofs tend to break or leak, stuff like that. I really doubt that I will spend more then 5-6k on the car and even that is a stretch. what seems to be a good price for witch year? A few straight forward questions are

1)The SE is the Top model correct? what is so much better about this package.... motor hop ups, wheels, moonroof or is it just a "for looks" type badge. 2)How hard is a manual transmission swap if I had to get an automatic one. and what is all needed I came up with; ECU, Trans, Clutch/flywheel Clutch pedal, master cylinder, and Lines Did I miss anything or have something that isn't needed 3)any recommendations on year(s) that stick out, Like the 93's have the best cams or engine power, I guess what I'm asking is are there things that are harder to find because it was built better, and what are the main advantages between model years, like 92-96 had this but other years didn't 4) any general input on the car you might like or dislike, since this isn't going to be all hopped up for maximum performance or anything that's not #1 on the priority list don't get me wrong or anything It matters but the V6 is probably going to have the juice I'll need on a daily basis, How is the suspension and breaks, are they up to par, I know it is not going to have ungodly great handling or super breaks but compared to other cars how do they stack up. 5)How are they for general maintenance, If well taken care of do they hold there own and have a low cost of repair, some things are just common sense like belts, seals, oil/filter, plugs, and anything that happens to take a crap on the car but over all how are they for maintenance. 6)how many of you are sick of reading my endless Questions on maximas though I am pumped to join the maxima owners club.

Anything you can tell me about the car would be greatly appreciated since I don't want to rush into anything and If I take my time and do it right I can get a killer deal. I love Nissan and I'm sure the maxima won't disappoint but I figured that I should ask you guys first about the car since you all have experience with them and know first hand, also you have lived with the car for some time and most of you probably know it like the back of your hand. Or if there is a good source on the web somewhere where I can get maxima info that would be killer, I searched and some of the stuff was kinda answered but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks in advance for your help, Pat

NISTECH

Well pat I wont go into all the options, but will cover the surface and opinion of the car from a Nissan dealer techs stand point.

The SE is not the top of the line its the GLE. The SE is the sports package, mostly appearance. I dont believe there were any HP differences between the models. If there are its all computer based performance. The engines all have the same outer components i.e. intake and exhaust. There is an exception. In 92 to 94 models [J30] they had 2 different engines. The SE had the bigger engine [chain driven where as the GXE had the belt driven engine]. The HP was slightly higher on the SE. Starting in 95 the A32 came out and through its 5 yr run it was one of the best nissans in the line up. Very few major problems. Very reliable. The engine is the same in all trim levels but the GLE had leather interior and more plush interior panels. Most nissans dont have issues with the spoiler leaking water. I have actually never seen a factory spoiler leak water. Its usually the tail lights in that section of the car. The engine from 95-99 in the A32 was different then in the J30 SE but is chain driven. The engine has won awards from an engine rating firm every yr. Very very reliable engine. The A32 is where you should target your purchase as that is around your price range. The J30 is more prone to issues due to its age so I would recommend staying away from it. The A33 is my personal favorite specifically the 02 and 03 as it had the larger VQ35 engine in it and is a blast to drive. With a 6 speed option. But good luck finding one that has a clear title for under 15k. 2000 to 2001 was also the A33 but it had the older VQ30 the A32 has.

If there are HP differences audatious or max hopper will know what they are and they will likley post thier opinion as well.

There are numorus mods available for the max out there. Stillen has some among other suppliers.

As far as working on them not to bad little cramped sometimes but over all pretty easy to service.

IMO the A32 seemed to have the least amount of problems in nissans line up from 95 to 99.

NISTECH

Oh also , there is a very comprehensive write up on the manual conversion for the A32 in one of the sticky's atop this forum.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Let's see...I'll try and hit these in the order you asked them...

5-6 K puts you sort of between third gen (89-94) and fourth gen (95-99) territory. Of all maxima generations, there are probably the most drastic differences between these two. That's not a bad thing...just something to keep in mind. More as I get into your other questions:

1): With the early maximas (specifically, the ones in your price range) there was no "top model" simply two different ones: SE and GXE. There was also a GLE later, which was the most expensive and more luxurious--when that happened, GXE sort of became the "base" model. SE was sportier, GXE more luxurious (through still quite sporty). GXE did not offer a manual in third gens (I'll let the 4th gen guys answer that half so I don't screw it up...). GXE suspensions are slightly more geared toward comfort, and SEs always came with a stock spoiler, where GXE's did not. The third gen GXE also has the electronic keypad on the door handles, while the SE did not.The biggest difference between SE and GXE, though, was in the 1992-1994 models, since a new engine (the VE30DE) was offered in the SE those years, and it made slightly more hp and slightly less torque. Since 1995, the Maxima has always had just one engine option: the VQ.

2)There is an excellent writeup for the swap for the fourth gen, and I believe it's a weekend project. It's a bigger deal than the 240, since it's a transaxle rather than a transmission (FWD, not RWD), but it appears the biggest issue there is time. Again, though, I'm not as familiar with the fourth gen as the other guys.

3)My personal preference is the 94 SE. It combines the manual transmission option with the VE30DE, and the third gen's superior chassis. In my humble opinion, it is THE Maxima to have. But it's definitely a personal preference. Major differences are: 1989-1994 (third gen, chassis designation J30) are fully independend suspension, and powered by a VG30E making 160hp and 200 ft lb of torque, redline at 6k. This engine uses a timing belt, which is a maintenance cost you want to consider. Ask the Z guys about the VG as well--those of us who have them consider them among the best engines of their day. They are a very reliable, sturdy, dependable engine. They also have quite a distinctive exhaust note.92-94 SE is powered by a 190hp 190 ft lb VE30DE. This used timing chains, so you won't have to pay for a belt replacement every 60k--again, keep that in mind as far as maintenance goes. Aside from that, the 92-94 SE is no different from the 89-91 SE.In 1995, the Maxima became a rebadged Cefiro, the chassis designation changed, (no A, not J), and the car began using the brand new VQ30DE, which made 210 hp and 205 ft lb (I think that's right...). The VQ is famous for both it's low end power and it's excellent reliability. Unfortunately, this switch signaled my least favorite change in the car--the switch from independent rear suspension to a solid rear axle. This was nissan's almost bankrupt period, so it was a cost cutting measure. Fortunately, Nissan still managed to retain the car's handling characteristics. What this did is drastically reduce the price of the car, while only minimally reducing it's performance aspects. Many people still consider the fourth gen to be the best Maxima, so don't let the solid rear axle scare you away.

4) The 3rd and 4th gens were sort of a car in their own class. There was the Mitsu Diamante...and that's about it. Bigger than the Accord and Camry, and much more powerful, as well as more sport focused, the Maxima sort of made it's own little subcategory. There wasn't a lot of direct competition, at least market-wise. As far as handling; I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by a third gen SE. Power is plentiful, and since it comes early, it makes for great acceleration and more comfortable city driving.

5) Reliability? In the 13 years I've had my car, I've done the following: new shocks, new alternator twice, new transmission at 187k miles, and new timing belt. That's it. There are, however, a few electrical issues I'm okay to leave alone: my cruise died around 140k. My driver side rear window regulator died (remember, power everything is standard on the Max), and the power locks on the 89-94 model tend to gain their own adgenda. Also, (though this is covered under an unlimited lifetime waranty), the shoulder-buckle sensors for the auto seatbelts on the 89-94 model tend to go bad, so that the seatbelt light will illuminate randomly, (this means the car will ding six times each time the light comes on--I don't notice it much anymore.). You can just take it to the dealer and they'll take care of that for you--seat belts are lifetime warranty. I just hit mine (to seat it properly again) and the light goes away. The biggest reliability issues will be electronic. Cruise control, windows, locks.

6) Haha, not me, I enjoy answering people's questions about the car.

I REALLY need to get my third gen site up with so many people asking me about early-mid 90s maximas lately.

That's a lot more detail than you probably wanted to have to read through...

NISTECH

Very nice MOD!

I read all the way through it..lol

turbo98_240sx
Car: computers, cars, anything that can do something and be made to do it faster stronger or better

MinisterofDOOM that was a very well written and a pleasure to read I don't mind reading allot when it makes sense and has a point. hehe I know this tends to get a lil long winded but hell yeah that was exactly what I was looking for thanks again. NISTECH thank you also. this is all great info and I did peak at that transmission swap sticky. Seriously thank you guys and If I can think of any more q's I'll be sure to come to you guys, you rock. Any others out there that want to chime in feel free I'm luving it. Peace Pat

turbo98_240sx

oh yeah what do you guys think about maxima278's maxima for sale it seems to me to be just what I'm looking, does 4.5k sound decent? I've got an e-mail in to him about maybe scooping that up so well see where that goes. Thanks againpat

turbo98_240sx

SO after some more research some sites say that the 97 has a multi link rear suspension. is this ture because I'm really lookin hard at some 97's there in the magic price range and look tits to match and seem to be able to get one black with black leather. And do the SE's have diffrent body panels or front bumpers (fasica)?

maxima278
Car: 96 240SX SR20, 69 Ford Pickup, 99 Dodge Ram 1500, 1996 Nissan Maxima, 1997 Nissan Maxima project, 89 Coupe shell

I still have it and I'm not in any hurry to sell it so let me know when you are ready to make the purchase and I'll give you a rundown of exactly what condition it is in. To be honest with you, when you get a maxima, you will find it hard to part with later as there is nothing else out there yet that you could drive every day for the price that would be as fun and trouble free as a Maxima.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Some of the 3rd gens had body rust problems. The 4th Gen (A32) is a great vehicle and takes mods relatively well. The motors have timing chains which should last the lifetime of the car, so you won't have to worry about getting belts replaced every 60k miles.

The base car is the GXE which comes standard with 15" steel wheels (hubcaps), cloth interior, A/C, manual tranny, rear defogger, cruise, tilt, AM/FM stereo. Options include power moonroof, anti-lock brakes, automatic tranny, cold-weather package (heated seats and mirrors, heavyduty battery and a low washer fluid sensor) or convenience package.

The SE is the Sports Edition. Comes with everything in the GXE, but adds a leather-wrapped shift knob and steering wheel, sportier bucket seats, black-on-white gauges, firmer suspension, 16" alloy wheels, fog lights, spoiler, black window trim and body-colored grille bar. Upgrade options are similar to the GXE

The GLE is the Luxury Edition. It comes with everything the GXE has, plus leather seats, 200-watt Bose system, power front seat, auto transmission, electronic climate control, wood-tone trim, keyless entry and security system, integrated homelink transmitter, 15" alloy wheels, variable wipers, and lighted vanity mirrors. Options include Power moon-roof, spoiler, ABS, and Cold weather package.

maxima278
Car: 96 240SX SR20, 69 Ford Pickup, 99 Dodge Ram 1500, 1996 Nissan Maxima, 1997 Nissan Maxima project, 89 Coupe shell

You can't go wrong with any of those models, but if you want a manual transmission, then don't even look at GLE's because they are not even available with a manual. The SE can be as loaded up as a GLE (leather, Bose, Sunroof, all the stuff my SE doesn't have) but will still have that stiffer suspension that is wonderful.

Bottom Line: buy an SE. If you're looking through auto trader, or car lots and you see any chrome or lack of spoiler, you can save time and keep on looking

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”