Maxima transmission - somtimes does not shift from gear 1 to 2

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
azubike
Car: Nissan Maxima 2001

I have a 2001 Maxima that has a transmission problem. Sometimes it does not go to gear 2 from 1 so it stays in one and revs high if you push down the pedal (just like driving a manual car just on gear 1). If it happens I would just put of the engine for a minute or 2 and start and it's ok. I notice this happens more often when the car is stressed e.g in traffic, higher tempratures... I have used the car for two years and have not serviced it before. What do you think is wrong with this car and what would be the cost implication of repairing it?

Azubike

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

You have a lot of deferred maintenance. I hope you have at least changed the oil and filter regularly in the last 2 years of ownership. Please change the air filter (could be very dirty by now).

Your transmission problem may be due to the condition of transmission fluid, dirty/clogged transmission filter or an indication of an impending failure.

First check the level and condition of the transmission fluid (with engine warm and running). Add ATF as required. New ATF is pinkish red but your fluid is probably dirty (pale or brownish) or even burnt smell. The best thing you can do is do a pan drop, clean the pan and magnets and inspect the filter and replace as required. Use new transmission gasket during installation.

With no history of transmission service, most shops will likely refuse to do a transmission flush due to liability issue. So what you can do is multiple drain and refill. Make sure you have the correct fluid level before any drain and refill. Run the engine for @ 100 seconds while shifting gears, stop engine, then drain fluid. Add the exact amount of fluid that was drained. Repeat this process 3-4 times. At the end of the drain and refill sequence, add a bottle of LubeGard Red ATF Protectant. Make sure you don't under/over fill the transmission fluid.

For the pan drop and drain and refill, you may need @ 15 quarts of Nissan Matic-D (OEM) but Dexron III or the newer Dexron VI should do the job. You can opt for the more expensive Mobil ATF and the likes.

If shifting issues persisted, then you may have to replace the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor. The VSS is located close to the top of the transmission and is accessible by removing the driver side wheel and the wheel well cover.

If after doing the above yet problem remained, there could be an internal transmission problem or related controls.

goody90q45
Car: 1992 Q45 (sold)

Do the Transmission Self-Diagnosis starting on page AT-50 of the FSM. If it's anything electrical (solenoid, sensor) the test will bring it up as an error code. From there you can ohm test most every component at the connector to verify the code.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2001/AT.pdf
loystock wrote:.......Your transmission problem may be due to the condition of transmission fluid, dirty/clogged transmission filter or an indication of an impending failure.......
Clean tranny fluid is a must. Varnish buildup from an overworked or overheated tranny can cause a lot of shifting issues.

noxitrao
Car: Nissan Maxima 2002

Hi Azubike,

I have been searching inetrnet for several weeks and finally got your post. I have Nissan Maxima 2002 and having exactly the same issue (word by word) that you were having. Since, there are no more posts on the topic, I really want to know what was the diagnosis of the car and how did you repair it?

Please if you are still using NICOclub.com, please help me out!!

Kind Regards,

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”