Maxima SE - Groan on Driver's Side

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
brushandcr
Car: Nissan Maxima 2000

Hi,

Over the last month, I get a brief (~1 second) groan/hum from driver's side when turning only after the car sits idle. Once I make 1-2 turns the problem does not return (or is noticeable) until the car sits idle again. It doesn't sound like metal on metal it is more like a low groan. I am trying to determine if its from the front or back (believe it is towards the rear but not 100% sure as of yet, plan to test at work Monday with the door or window open since it wont be as cold as last few weeks). Also, what I notice is its more apparent when sitting outside compared to testing with car garaged.

Notes:
- Nissan Maxima 2000 SE
- Nissan replaced rear brakes, pads, rotors, calipers - 5 months ago (guaranteed to 1 year or 10K miles - its in warranty but unsure if related to work they performed so wanted opinion(s) if you have them!)
- Rear tires replaced - week ago with no change to issue

Any thoughts? Thanks for reviewing.

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Honestly, it could be anything...worn bushing, something needing grease, etc. Try to narrow down where the sound is coming from first.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

Possible strut bearing

brushandcr

Sorry about the delays in responding. At this point it has mostly gone away, once in a while will hear it going down incline and turning right. Definitely comes from the driver rear area.

I had my car in for oil change and the shop took a look at brakes, etc. and said the struts are pretty much end of life (14 years old) and should be replaced so perhaps the last thought posted is correct. However, ~$1,000 between parts/labor is a pretty large investment. Shop said it should be done soon, but seems ok for the moment.

NutriaforBreakfast

Rockauto.com has GOOD prices on MONROE struts that already have the coil spring on them
So you wouldn't have to compress the spring-just a changeout
I have never used them so I don't know if their service is goos

brushandcr

If the part is bought online, a local shop could do the work? I was quoted the $1K for labor (4 hours) and 4 new struts. Is that about right?

NutriaforBreakfast

sounds too high to me

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”