Maxima running great, but warm

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Steve W.
Car: 2000 Nissan Maxima

Hi all,

I have a 2000 Maxima, runs great, but increasingly warmer. Thermostat and and water control valve are new, and temp sensors check out fine according to Haynes manual. A couple weeks back, I flushed out the radiator and water came out very clear, so running out of options. Do water pumps every slowly die over time, without springing a leak, or do you have any other thoughts?

Thanks.

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Welcome to NICO!

Sounds like you've covered most of the bases. Are the electric fans working properly?

One option would be to take a low pressure water hose and clean the fins on the radiator itself. Sometimes the space between the fins can become clogged with dirt and lessen the cooling ability of the radiator. Just remove the fans from the radiator and spray from the engine side out towards the front of the car.

If that doesn't help, you could try installing a lower temp thermostat.

Steve W.

The electric fans look and sound to be working fine, yes. BUT, the transmission has also been acting strange when the temp goes up, which gives credence to your suggestion that I clean the fins, because the trans fluid cooler is between the radiator and the grill, making it the first thing a big bug would clog up, which could also lessen airflow to the radiator as well. I'll definitely look into that, thanks!

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Did you 'burp' the system after adding coolant? You may have trapped air causing inefficient cooling. In my 03Q, I burped it at least 5 times before I was able to get normal temp reading.

Steve W.

5 times? Nope, just did it once, but it's pretty easy to get to the little screw so I'll definitely check it out - thanks...

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

The number of burp cycles varies. It depends on when the coolant level in radiator no longer drop.

-Fill the radiator and reservoir to required level
-Warm up the engine without radiator cap installed. If coolant starts to overflow, install radiator cap.
Caution: Wear gloves and goggles for protection.
-Install radiator cap and rev engine to 2500-3000 RPM then back to Idle. Repeat 3x.
Caution: Monitor temp and never let the engine overheat.
-Shut down engine and let it cool down (use fan as needed).
-Add coolant up to radiator filler neck.
-Repeat above steps until coolant level no longer drop
-Fill reservoir to MAX level.
-Test drive the car and ensure engine temp remains stable. Repeat burp cycle as needed.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”