Maxima idle drop + shudder??

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
loekee
Car: 1992 Maxima GXE

I have a 92 GXE vg30e, when coming to a stop the idle drops, jumps up and then drops down to about 400-500rpm and shudders, then returns to around 600-700. Also when turning (while @ idle), or holding the power window switch @ the top or bottom of the track it affects the rpm by about 100 and causes the shudder as well (although no idle jump occurs). Ive replaced the distributor + cap/rotor, plugs, o2, cat and alternator, set timing to 16,set the base idle, tested the battery, alternator, had a meter on the battery and the only drop is less than 1v????

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

I would think it to be the IACV. However I'm at work, and have to start working, so I'll see what I can find out later tonight.

danielekfuj
Car: miata, rocket ship

In my car, the engine would also kind of cough and almost die at stop lights sometimes. My hose leading to the IACV was kinked.

loekee

I thought so too, so I switched it with one from my bros 94 and no difference, maybe it has something to do with the plugs, Ive also heard these 3rd gens are bad for injectors??

clint240sx
Car: Nissan Maxima, 240sx

what is IACV i rarely have that problem when coming to a stop...

silent_lucidity

loekee wrote:I have a 92 GXE vg30e, when coming to a stop the idle drops, jumps up and then drops down to about 400-500rpm and shudders, then returns to around 600-700. Also when turning (while @ idle), or holding the power window switch @ the top or bottom of the track it affects the rpm by about 100 and causes the shudder as well (although no idle jump occurs). Ive replaced the distributor + cap/rotor, plugs, o2, cat and alternator, set timing to 16,set the base idle, tested the battery, alternator, had a meter on the battery and the only drop is less than 1v????
My car is doing something similar. It just surges and then dies and then repeats this for a few seconds. This has happened in highways speeds after more than an hour of driving(so the engine was warmed up). Sometimes this happens when I turn on the a/c as well. However offlate, most of the time it is happening , with /or without the a/c .

The engine also dies sometimes at traffic signals. I can immediately start it and drive.

The surging is very scary. Please help.I have changed the alternator and that did not help. Mechanic now suspects air mask, but he says, that it is only a hint. And upto me to decide. Please help guys. Is it the IAVC like it is mentioned above or something related.

HELP.

silent_lucidity

My car is a V6 1996 Maxima at 144000

Dracolove
Car: 95 Nissan Maxima

clint240sx wrote:what is IACV i rarely have that problem when coming to a stop...
IACV: Idle air control valve

jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

check you maf. it has similar symptoms to the IACV. especially with shuddering and cutting off.

lowblocks
Car: 1995 maxima

it also could be the fuel pump my dad's impala did the same thing

loekee

OK, So I ended up buying a set of rebuilt injectors and using a head gasket kit and did the whole nine.... head gaskets, valve seals, etc,etc.

My shudder coming to a stop has dissapeared which I attribute to a missing cap on the #6 injector (which must have cracked and come off then burned up in the cylinder) and the #2 tested at 27ohms. But now when I come to a stop the idle still bounces twice and returns to normal (no shudder now)

I replaced all the gasket related to the IACV and also swichted with a known MAF...no change???

Next Ill have to take it to the dealer for a diagnostic on the cpu.

spddemon
Car: 2004 Nissan Sentra BaseS

Check your fuel system. I had the same problem with my 91, the dealer said that it could be the fuel pump. they told me that in some cars get more water in the gas tank from the higher eth gas and if you dont treat it with heat once a year rust can form and clog up your pump and filter when you use fuel sytem cleaner. If you changed your filter recently check and see if the gas that come out is a dark brown color if so then that might be your problem.

loekee

After lots of research, I found its related to the tranny. The TCC (torque convertor clutch) is engaging coming to a stop and releasing causing the fluctuation in rpm.

Im going to do a valve body mod and Ive also read to replace the seal in the tranny oil pump (which affects the tcc) and see how she does.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”