Maxima 2010 CVT Issues & Problems: Whining,High RPM,No Power

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
magnamagus
Car: 2010 Nissan Maxima

CVT Nissan 2010 Maxima Problems & Issues ----These are recorded problems with Nissan's New CVT Transmission on Nissan Maxima 2010 - Sport Edition 300 horse power. The CVT exhibits Lost of power, Engine High RPM, Loud Whining Noise, and CVT gets stuck in 6th Gear (won't down shift) in Manual and drive mode. The car will not accelerate and gives a P1778 Code after long trips are taken. This only occurs on long drives over hilly roads on 75 MPH Highways up gradual elevation hill climb. The problem has been getting progressively worst and did not occur when the car was new. This CVT transmission sucks and the dealerships are giving customers a hard time since the problem doesn't not occur on flat ground, City driving, and the Trouble Code P1778 eventually is cleared from the computer on its own. The problem with NIssan's CVT transmission persists and as I mentions is getting progressively worst. I had to stop once making this long 90 mile trip (at 45k miles), then i had to stop twice (at 70k miles), and last time i had to stop 3 times to let the CVT rest. The issue does not occur going down elevation. The CVT fluid has been changed at 40,000 miles and all other maintenance is done routinely. Can some explain what is going on with Nissan's New CVT Technology?

http://youtu.be/pd9zdcU9eYM
http://youtu.be/8V9lhh8Kros
http://youtu.be/bTKFBfWjlSg

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

I fixed the links to youtube. You had repeated one of them.

This is baffeling. the maxima's don't tend to have a lot of tranny issues. But I do know that the CVT is mostly not serviceable and is usually replaced. Have the dealer look at it. You should still be under warranty
"Nissan CVT Warranty Extension

Nissan has extended the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty for the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) to 10 years/120,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for CVT transmission repairs, replacement, and related towing on all 2003-2010 model year Nissan vehicles equipped with the CVT. The remainder of the powertrain warranty coverage for components other than the CVT transmission remains unchanged. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions otherwise apply.

Please note that this is not a safety recall, and there are no safety issues relating to your Continuously Variable Transmission."

http://www.nissanassist.com/web/CVT/index.php?menu=8

This link also has a phone number to Nissan Consumer affairs. May have to give them a call to get onto the dealer

magnamagus

Thanks,

I took the car to the dealer, just as I suspected they are very resistant and difficult. The Mechanic and Service Advisor were convinced but shop manager tried to blame me the customer for the problem. He stated that maybe maintenance was not done and wanted me to prove this. He wouldn't even look at the video. I had to tell him that maintenance (CVT fluid change - done at 44k), etc. I finally got a little upset becuz he assumed I didn't know anything about the warranty extension, existing issues with the step motor in the CVT, and problems others are having with the CVT. I also owned 3 maximas previously. So I don't know what to do?

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

That's when you call Nissan Consumer Affairs. do you have an option for another dealer. Sorry to hear your having problems with this gen maxima. I too have had 93, 2000, and a 2002 maxima. They are great cars but its human made, which can have a problem.
Phone: 1-800-647-7261
Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in each time zone.

magnamagus

Great, I will phone Consumer Affairs..

Thanks

1996blackmax
Car: 2010 Maxima SV Premium

While my car exhibited different symptoms, there is a TSB for the 2009 & 2010 models for reprogramming the TCM & replacing the valve body. I took mine to the dealer for this. I was also met with a bit of an attitude from the service rep. I told him about the TSB & the symptoms, he said that it probably wasn't that. Went in for my appointment two days later....they reprogrammed the TCM & replaced the valve body.

I would speak to who ever is above the service manager explain your situation, including his unwillingness to help you with this issue. Your car has the factory warranty in place & you definitely have issues with the CVT.

magnamagus

UPDATE::: THE 2010 NISSAN MAXIMA CVT WAS DIAGNOSED WITH AN ERROR CODE 1778. FOUR OTHER CODES WERE PULLED IN TOTAL. THE OVERALL DIAGNOSIS IS "COMPLETE CVT TRANSMISSION FAILURE". THE RECOMMENDED ACTION IS REPLACEMENT OF THE ENTIRE VALVE BODY (SOLENOIDS) WHICH CHANGE THE GEARS AND REPROGRAMMING OF THE CVT COMPUTER. I WAS TOLD ITS BETTER TO CHANGE THE WHOLE TRANSMISSION AT COST OF $5,500.00 DOLLARS. I HAVE CONTACTED NISSAN CONSUMER AFFAIRS. THIS PROBLEM CODE OCCURRED AT 44K MILES, 65K MILES, AND 94K MILES. EACH TIME IT WAS UNDIAGNOSABLE SINCE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DID NOT STAY ON - IT TURNED ITSELF OFF. I WAS ABLE TO GET THIS DIAGNOSED WITH A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON AT 124,000 MILES. I HAVE MY FINGERS CROSSED.... NISSAN BETTER HELP WITH THE REPLACEMENT.....

magnamagus

UPDATE::: THE 2010 NISSAN MAXIMA CVT WAS DIAGNOSED WITH AN ERROR CODE 1778. FOUR OTHER CODES WERE PULLED IN TOTAL. THE OVERALL DIAGNOSIS IS "COMPLETE CVT TRANSMISSION FAILURE". THE RECOMMENDED ACTION IS REPLACEMENT OF THE ENTIRE VALVE BODY (SOLENOIDS) WHICH CHANGE THE GEARS AND REPROGRAMMING OF THE CVT COMPUTER. I WAS TOLD ITS BETTER TO CHANGE THE WHOLE TRANSMISSION AT COST OF $5,500.00 DOLLARS. I HAVE CONTACTED NISSAN CONSUMER AFFAIRS. THIS PROBLEM CODE OCCURRED AT 44K MILES, 65K MILES, AND 94K MILES. EACH TIME IT WAS UNDIAGNOSABLE SINCE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DID NOT STAY ON - IT TURNED ITSELF OFF. I WAS ABLE TO GET THIS DIAGNOSED WITH A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON AT 124,000 MILES. I HAVE MY FINGERS CROSSED.... NISSAN BETTER HELP WITH THE REPLACEMENT.....

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

What's become of this matter? It almost appears as though one is better off selling his/her Nissan once it exceeds 100k/120k since Nissan will not warranty the CVT beyond these mileage threshold.

VTRAINMAN99
Car: 2009 Nissan Sentra
2010 Nissan Altima

I have been experiencing the same issue with my 2009 Nissan Sentra. When the problems first began, I was past the original CVT warranty mileage, so I endured it on long, hilly trips. I only recently found out about the warranty extension, and I'm at 117,000+ miles, so I decided to act fast.

My local dealer has performed diagnostics, said they confirmed the high RPM and such, and is telling me that the problem is the CVT cooler, not the transmission itself. With poor cooler performance, the CVT performance is affected, which is why it seems to be o.k. after I stop for a few minutes. Replacement of the cooler, including labor and fluid, is estimated at around $1500. They also said that the cooler is not covered under the CVT warranty since the cooler is a separate unit.

So ... as with most things the dealers have practiced to say, it KINDA makes sense. But is it correct? Is it true? Is the cooler truly not covered under the CVT warranty? Would the cooler problems only result in the performance issues described in this thread on long/hilly trips? $1500 isn't insurmountable, but I don't want to spend that only for the CVT to still have trouble as I get closer to, and eventually pass, 120,000 miles!

Anyone else gotten this particular verdict before? What's the thought here ... truth or b.s.?

Rgirton

I have a 2010 Maxima with 121,000 miles....bought it used at 109,000 miles with a new transmission replaced at 107K. Thought the deal was too good to be true $6500 from a private party. Transmission had to be replaced at 110,400 miles!!!!! (3rd Transmission) They said that last dealership made errors in repair and replacement. Nissan covered ALL costs for repairs. Now at 121,433 and having issues again with the transmission. They want to charge me $149 for diagnostics and $280 for a software update(s) to the computer????? Why would the computer need updated? Shouldn't they have done that when they replaced the transmission at 110K????? I have only owned the car 10 months!!! Is the computer update a common repair practice on these cars or am I getting ripped off ???

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

It's common but it won't fix the car by itself..............

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”