Matic J tranny fluid will be no more! Auto Trans people Read!!

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

Nissan Matic J Automatic Transmission Fluid will cease to exist. The New 7 Speed tranny uses Nissan Matic S. Matic S supercedes from Matic J, So basically your auto tranny will use Matic S. If you're thinking about doing a Auto Trans flush, wait a little while so you can get the new awesome stuff. Matic J was part number 999MP-MTJ00P and Matic S is just 999MP-MTS00P. It is the same price so don't freak out. The big differences between them are Matic S has better heat resistence and break downs less and is more durable, it is apparently nearly the same viscosity. It also it flows cleaner under pressure and it can substitute for blood if you get stabbed and need a refill . Matic S is also less bitter so there is better drinkability, and contains more Molybdenum and is enriched with Calcium and Iron . I may be joking about that last part. I don't know if it has more Molybdenum. But dont take the blood or potability parts serious either. Its trans fluid people, not One-a-day alcohol free liquor.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Good information s

From what I have heard they matic S equipped 7speeds do not require fluid replacement.

What's the cost per unit on that?

Poyzinous

It will be the same price as J. $11 to $17 a quart, depends what price the dealer sells it at.

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

Dude. You're awesome. I have NO use for auto tranny fluid, but the comedic relief I get is priceless.

Poyzinous

Yeah I like doing that. I like to be entertaining. My writing can be easily identified...

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

Nice description! Loved it.

I read about this a few months ago and wrote something about it...but nobody knew. Thanks for the new confirmation.

Sadly, I just had my tranny fluid changed at the dealership a couple weeks ago and I bet they used the matic-J.

I've heard the S on Matic-S stands for synthetic, as this is a full synthetic fluid??? You know about that??

kmech_7
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe (Skyline) Vortech Supercharged Jul 08 ROTM

WOW......MATIC-S!!!!!!! To bad it is just another ploy to sell DEXTRON 3 at a over inflated price..

Did he say dextron 3? YES!!!!!!! thats all it is.

Poyzinous

No. It is not Dextron 3. Judging from the amount of work you have done on your car I assume you know something about 4 wheel Internal combustion transport vehicles. Dextron 3? You really think that the fluid that is made for a highly advanced 7 speed auto tranny can be the same fluid from your marvelous Ford Pinto? Do you run your 4 dollar a bottle vodka through a brita water filter 13 times before you drink it out of your winnie the pooh sippy cup? Because cheap vodka is just unfiltered expensive vodka? Please don't tell me your car is just a RWD luxury version of a nissan sentra rebadged in america as a G35. That would be too much. Oh and that 7 at the end of your name? Yea its just a ploy to make the alphabet larger. Its really just a retarded upside down L.
Modified by Poyzinous at 12:01 PM 2/12/2009

kmech_7

Thats funny? ALMOST ALL BUILT TRANNYS ON G's and 350Z's USE DEXTRON 3.... and yes it is just dextron 3. How do I know that? I have a fully built G35 tranny. Infiniti in their infinite wisdom decided they need to charge outragous amounts for parts(dealer parts). So, in an atempt to make money(thats all it is) they decided to make it so the consumer(us) needed to buy only their products or you car would "malfunction". This of course is not true however. The only thing different from Nissan Matic-J and dextron 3 is the label(and a redicuolus price tag /quart). Will nissan admit to this? NO. And why not you ask? Well they wouldnt get all that lovely money you are willing to dish out because then how would they be able to charge you $110 for fluid alone considering this is dextron 3 with a label change?

If more people acculy sat down and researched this they would realize this. Im not trying to say people are dumb by any means but you know as well as I do many people just want to follow "dealer prescribed" rules of maintinece. Is this always the right? No. Not always the case.

If you do not believe me please E-mail me and I will show you what you would like to know. Now in saying this i dont want to be flooded with e-mails from everyone but if you are really cirious please feel free.
Poyzinous wrote:No. It is not Dextron 3. Oh and that 7 at the end of your name? Yea its just a ploy to make the alphabet larger. Its really just a retarded upside down L.
And to this comment.....please realize I am not anyone new on this board. This is not my first post and I have been here for a while. I do have a G with over 400whp. I do know a thing or two about this. With being here for a while I have also established myself as an educating and problem solving member on NICO. I also have helped numorous members of this site with many problems. If I could not help I tried to find some-one who could so please realize to whom you are trying to polk fun at and dont disrespect anyone on this board again. Thanx.

Kev

Poyzinous

Sounds to me like you need to do some more research. Check the compounds in Matic S and see if you can figure out the extra secret additives that nissan puts into them to distinguish them from the dextron you buy at walmart and autozone and whatnot. and its not almost all, ALL auto trannys use matic J. And finally, I wasn't POLK -ing fun. Polk is the last name of the 11th US president. If you read more of my posts, you'll notice I am very thorough and twitchy with all my posts, not just you buddy, though you are special now that I see you have a wicked awesome ROTM G coupe. I want 400hp as well. If you felt disrespected, I'll try to remember you're a bit more sensitive so I'll take it easier. Because I could also say you disrespected me by trying to tip over my fruit cart by saying half your response with a faulty caps lock button. that WOW and ploy and YES and !!! could have been unnecessary as well.

kmech_7

Did I say go to walmart to get ATF? I dont remember saying that. Funny?

Also I'm sorry for my one or two misspels. Ill try harder next time.

Sounds to me like you are the sesative one. Upset by me pushing over your "fruit cart" and all. I just dont want people to waste thier hard earned money on a label.

Oh and the diffence is red dye(That red dye also is a detergent to clean the internals of the tranny / Dextron 3) And the label.

Ohh and the type S thats comming out is just another label.

Thanx, Kev
Modified by kmech_7 at 10:25 AM 2/12/2009

tollboothwilley

Kev - Poyzinous means no harm. He is an educated infiniti tech. Of course he is going to stand by all infiniti products.

I'm sending you an email because I am curious about your findings with the fluids...

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

For stock auto transmissions starting with the RE5 (02+Q) Nissan started using a different fluid with less detergents and slightly different additives.

If you are taking out the original valve body and replacing all of the seals, servos, and sealing devices. I would say you may be able to get away with something else but I wouldn't risk it if it were my car. Why risk it to save a few bucks if you are already building the trans?

This thread was started as an informative thread. If you want to start taking it off topic we can split it and you and poyzinous can sling mud at each other there.

Matic J and S are they only fluids that will not void your warranty If you have a built setup then that is no longer an issue, however if you take the car to your buddies shop and he just adds Dex to it you will loose hold and apply pressure cause slippage. It's just the nature of the beast.

Kmeck- Your participation here is appreciated and a belated congrats on the ROTM. Since many people will read this that are running stock setups please keep that in mind, yes you built yours and used something else with success but we don't want to send the wrong message to people.Your information is a just not correct for the topic here.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

kmech_7 wrote:type S thats comming out is just another label.
If you have any proof stating this please pass it on, I will correct myself if I am wrong. Because from what I have read is the RE7 was actually designed around this fluid and the engineers might like to know they could have used the same fluid as my 88 Acura.

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

Gentlemen...& Steve

Let's step back for a minute. Enough with the history lessons (Poyzinous, if you actually rememebered which President Polk was from HS you have issues ). And Kevin, lay off on the new guy. He brings comedy to a PMSing G forum (and some very useful "insider" information )

Here's what I'm going to say...A little research makes me want to believe that there is something different between Dexron III and the Nissan Fluid...however, I'm also not inclined to believe that the Nissan fluid is magical and one place I read stated that the Nissan fluid was very similar if not the same as the one Suby requires in their trannies. I highly doubt either company manufactures the stuff, which means some company is probably selling it to different auto manufacturers and the dealers mark it up.

So until we KNOW better. Matic-J/S is different than Dexron III, but is still probably highly over-priced because Poyzinous has to pay for all of those history books on tape

In related news, 4drmadness was charged around $100 for a tranny flush (could have been just a drain and fill) at Riverside Infiniti.

Poyzinous

Thanks john and steve, for jumping in to ref this match. I just wanted to inform everyone of new stuff going on. But by now I'm sure you've noticed I'm special in my own way with my posts. Kev(in) I don't think I'm sensitive, I enjoy verbal thrashings and entertaining bickering, especially when I can hop in with an already seeming lack of subtlety. I dont take things too personally, becuase we talk about our cars. Lets just have fun and share. We're really just in a mostly adult like show-and-tell elementary school class when you think about it.

And nate, want more insider info? Nissan shared some of their trannys with subaru back in the day, I dont know what else is shared nowadays...
Modified by Poyzinous at 1:16 PM 2/12/2009

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

STDs, but that's for another thread

Poyzinous

You can pass those to and from your car? I'll need to have a long chat with my G... and my doctor/technician. damn i'm itchy

kmech_7

So what your saying is Poyzinous is comic relief and it shouldnt burn when i pee?
Modified by kmech_7 at 11:42 AM 2/12/2009

kmckis1029
Car: 2016 Q50 RS400 AWD

2010 G37x w/Prem, Nav, & Wood (sold)

2005 G35x w/Prem C (traded in)

this is why i love this forum... arguments are over technical stuff about cars... not how fast your ricer is... and i get to sit back, read, learn, all while being entertianed

i might even throw in a comment or two if i know about the subject... but i have only had my G35x 6 months, so im enjoying this learning...

Keep up the great imformative arguments!

Poyzinous

If it burns when you pee you may just have a urinary tract infection. It can be resolved by drinking plenty of water. It could be the big C though, not P. Or just kidney stones. So also drink plenty of water, avoid grapefruit juice, and take a normal dosage of Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs.

kmech_7

Poyzinous wrote:If it burns when you pee you may just have a urinary tract infection. It can be resolved by drinking plenty of water. It could be the big C though, not P. Or just kidney stones. So also drink plenty of water, avoid grapefruit juice, and take a normal dosage of Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs.
so you've been there huh? It sux...lol

Poyzinous

awwww.... you edited your post and set me up. Good job. That was fun.

kmech_7

I still hate you.....but your just so darn cute.....

lol!

j/k

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

Kevin... Poyzinous is NOT that bunny we were talking about earlier, so don't get any ideas

Poyzinous

Bunny? you guys gotta stop with that secret

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

You pissed him off enough to call me earlier...We spoke about him doing a write up for a custom title and I suggested a "great" title...Not safe for the kiddies eyes.

kmech_7

Oh, Oh, right, right, not the bunny.....got it....

but look at those ears......and his cotton tail......i mean...

I still think "Unicorn Parking Only" is a great title.

Modified by kmech_7 at 12:59 PM 2/12/2009

Poyzinous

poo.

tollboothwilley

LOL

So, Kevin

Let us in on some of the info you have then!

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”