Matic J tranny fluid will be no more! Auto Trans people Read!!

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

such majestic honor in your words. STEVE 4 PRESIDENT!!!

pfarmer
Car: 2008 GXS with technology package

SteveTheTech wrote:Most cases will not get to that point until they recall the part for a warranty examination. It doesn't happen all the time but when something that does not typically fail (ie an RE5) they may want it back or request a further investigation before a repair, like requesting any and all service records before approving any warranty claim. The failure is not technically a warranty issue. Click the image below to read more. The warranty information is standard and although you may able to pull the wool over their eyes, technically they do not have to replace anything for you that you have altered it in basically anyway or "improperly serviced" your car.
To me the last sentence is what really counts in that in the manual it clearly states not to use any other transmission fluid than Matic J. I came across this in the warranty information after looking at the local Infiniti (of Fife) newsletter which I just received today about using lower grade fuels. In the newsletter article it states you can without voiding the warranty because it was a recommendation to use the recommended octane not a requirement.

Now when I read this I thought about the ATF recommendation and came up with the fact it has an asterisk and provides the added part about Matic J at section 9-3.

Back to the fuel recommendation I find it interesting on the wording difference between the 35 engine and the 37. It seems to state that you can go ahead and use 87 octane in the 35 without damage (similar to what is stated on the local Infiniti of Fife's newsletter, that you will possibly suffer a performance decrease, however in the case of the 37 it goes on to state you can only do so on a temporary basis and only if you follow certain precautions. In your post of the warranty statement you can see reference to this under 'Damage, Failures or Corrosion due to lack of or improper maintenance' and then list the example of bullet #2 of improper fuels, fluids, etc.

Again even if a fluid is exactly the same then I figure it is still cheap insurance to use what is so strongly 'recommended'.

You see some here for example that some state they use whatever and then make a statement that they are aggressive drivers. Based on what I have seen in other fields such as medical insurance admitting to various things like smoking online can work against you when you are looking to engage in a certain protocal of treatment. What stops a dealer from paying the same attention if they suspect a certain customer is 'abusing' their vehicle and trying to get warranty work done? For example admitting to having aftermarket parts installed and then removing such parts when warranty work is needed to conceal their use.

I personally like seeing what others are doing with aftermarket parts, but I also feel the price of using them may be that you may not have a valid warranty any longer.

Perry

smockers83
Car: 2006 G35 Coupe

pfarmer wrote:Again even if a fluid is exactly the same then I figure it is still cheap insurance to use what is so strongly 'recommended'.
So if you had a bottle of Nissan fluid and a bottle of Brand X fluid and the only difference was the label, you'd still go with Nissan? What if you had the fluids in the exact same bottles with no labels and no way to distinguish between the two, which one would you pick?

Now I agree that in the real world it is like insurance to get Nissan, but if you have the exact same thing at a cheaper price, why pay more? It's economically irrational. That would be like buying a Pioneer plasma at a home theater boutique at $2000 versus going to Best Buy and buying it for $1000.

pfarmer

smockers83 wrote:
So if you had a bottle of Nissan fluid and a bottle of Brand X fluid and the only difference was the label, you'd still go with Nissan? What if you had the fluids in the exact same bottles with no labels and no way to distinguish between the two, which one would you pick?

Now I agree that in the real world it is like insurance to get Nissan, but if you have the exact same thing at a cheaper price, why pay more? It's economically irrational. That would be like buying a Pioneer plasma at a home theater boutique at $2000 versus going to Best Buy and buying it for $1000.
Completely different. If you buy a Pioneer at Best Buy or at another store it will still say Pioneer on it so when you are using it in your industry and a 3rd party will only guarantee that their DVR will work with a Pioneer you are covered.

Now on the other hand if Nissan states you should use Nissan fluid only and you have a receipt that shows you did just that, then they would have a hard time stating you did not use the recommended fluid. That is insurance, doesn't make any difference what is actually in the bottle.

Now on the other hand if you are past the warranty period and you know that both the brand name and the generic brand name are actually one and the same, then certainly it makes sense to purchase the cheaper one.

Perry

Road Ruler
Car: G35 sedan prem

Poyzinous wrote:Its official. Not available anymore. J matic is all gone. Get your Matic S 2day...
If one does just a drain and fill is the new S fluid compatible with the old J fluid.

I would assume yes??

PS... The Infiniti rip off price in Canada was $12/litre for J fluid.

That works out to be $125. plus tax to totally replace the J fluid in my G and I did the job myself.Infiniti shoots themselves in the foot by these gouging tactics. I now avoid the dealer except for the odd case where I am forced to go back for whatever reason.

In the end they steal a few extra pennies from us but in the long run they loose dollars in Business.

Poyzinous

12 is actually a reasonable price. My dealer sells it at 15 a quart. And its fine to mix them, but don't do a drain and fill. Have it flushed.

Road Ruler

The cost is too high for J fluid any way you look at it.

Goat_Wiz
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x
2010 Audi Q5 3.2

Dangit. My friend just replaced his tranny and diff fluid with royal purple. The butt dyno definitely noticed a difference. I wasn't sure if I would have the same results but it was encouraging. This thread made me a little nervous. Ugh...

Poyzinous

Matic S will give you 2 more hp to the wheels

kmckis1029
Car: 2016 Q50 RS400 AWD

2010 G37x w/Prem, Nav, & Wood (sold)

2005 G35x w/Prem C (traded in)

Poyzinous wrote:Matic S will give you 2 more hp to the wheels
got my tranny flushed with matic S last month at 34k miles... the tranny is definitly smoother

i didnt know there would be a hp increase... i guess thats the side effect of the smoothness...

pfarmer

Poyzinous wrote:Matic S will give you 2 more hp to the wheels
Would this value (2) apply to your year of 'G' or others as well?

Perry

kmckis1029

im assuming he means going from J to S is a HP increase... the newer model Gs should already be using it i would think...

pfarmer

kmckis1029 wrote:im assuming he means going from J to S is a HP increase... the newer model Gs should already be using it i would think...
Did it come out before or after the 08 model year for example? Curious for obvious reasons. If it is better then it may be worth while to do a fluid change even very early in the life of my vehicle.

Perry

Poyzinous

The 7speed tranny was developed and manufactured with Matic S. If you don't have a 7speed G then you have Matic J in your car. unless you have a manual tranny

pfarmer

Poyzinous wrote:The 7speed tranny was developed and manufactured with Matic S. If you don't have a 7speed G then you have Matic J in your car. unless you have a manual tranny
Since I then have Matic J is the 2 HP benefit you mention apply to all 'G's? I am thinking that if so, just maybe it could be beneficial to take advantage of this earlier than normal as far as a flush schedule.

Perry

Poyzinous

300th post! I'm doing wonderful...
pfarmer wrote:maybe it could be beneficial to take advantage of this earlier than normal as far as a flush schedule.Perry
I did it to my car. Cold shifts are noticably better. I think it was worth it. If you're in the 30 or 40k range there is no harm in doing it early. Some of the other techs I work with do their flushes every 20k. Like me!

pfarmer

Poyzinous wrote:300th post! I'm doing wonderful... I did it to my car. Cold shifts are noticably better. I think it was worth it. If you're in the 30 or 40k range there is no harm in doing it early. Some of the other techs I work with do their flushes every 20k. Like me!
I was sort of thinking of 20k for the first one and then follow a 30-40k after.

Perry

kmckis1029

+1

Road Ruler

Poyzinous wrote:Its official. Not available anymore. J matic is all gone. Get your Matic S 2day...
I just came from a Metro Toronto Infiniti dealer. I went to the parts department and asked them about the J fluid or the "new" S fluid for my 03 G. The man said that the J fluid is what they recommend. Ok, then that is what I must use. Who is going to argue with an authorized, genuine Infiniti dealer?

So in reality what happened. The invoice says I bought 999MP-MTJ00L (which replaces 999MP-M. Did I just get sold old, redundant J stock? Cost was over $150. for 12 liters.

Road Ruler

N/A

Poyzinous

well you're in canada. I dont know whats going on up there, but I can tell you that when I made that post we couldn't order any more Matic J. We could and only can order Matic S. But then again you're in canada. Maybe the parts and chemical shipping centers still have plenty of matic J. At all my area dealers there is only matic S, since its been a while since J was made obselete. But you're in canada. Why am I repeating that? I just enjoy saying it Dont know why, but you should understand. you know, since you're in canada.

pfarmer

Poyzinous wrote:well you're in canada. I dont know whats going on up there, but I can tell you that when I made that post we couldn't order any more Matic J. We could and only can order Matic S. But then again you're in canada. Maybe the parts and chemical shipping centers still have plenty of matic J. At all my area dealers there is only matic S, since its been a while since J was made obselete. But you're in canada. Why am I repeating that? I just enjoy saying it Dont know why, but you should understand. you know, since you're in canada.
Be careful when you go up there, you will get a leaf instead of syrup on your pancakes.

Originally it was suppose to be CND but 'eh' got in the way.

Perry
Modified by pfarmer at 10:41 AM 4/22/2009

BrandAidDesignG35
Car: G35

That's great, I'm in Canada, I need a flush.

Should I order some Matic - S or just get some of the Matic J that's left over? Oh, I'm in Canada.

What's the story on Royal Purple compared to Matic S ? Thanks all...

2hp eh?

Road Ruler

Poyzinous wrote:But you're in canada. Why am I repeating that?
Sounds like you have a bad case of verbal diarrhea! lol

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

Just for reference if people are looking to buy the Matic-S fluid and don't want to get fully bent.

Part Number is : 999MP-MTS00P

http://www.everythingnissan.co...=6268$7.99 a quart

http://www.nissanonlineparts.c....aspx$7.79 a quart

http://www.thenismoshop.com/ik...=1526$7.79 a quart

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=3912&rsku=0$8.95 a quart

Local infiniti dealerships seem to charge way more than Nissan dealerships for the same bottle of fluid.

Poyzinous

I love this thread. Lots of great posts. I lol'd.

data
Car: 2010 G37X

Poyzinous wrote:Nissan Matic J Automatic Transmission Fluid will cease to exist. The New 7 Speed tranny uses Nissan Matic S. Matic S supercedes from Matic J, So basically your auto tranny will use Matic S. If you're thinking about doing a Auto Trans flush, wait a little while so you can get the new awesome stuff. Matic J was part number 999MP-MTJ00P and Matic S is just 999MP-MTS00P. It is the same price so don't freak out. The big differences between them are Matic S has better heat resistence and break downs less and is more durable, it is apparently nearly the same viscosity. It also it flows cleaner under pressure and it can substitute for blood if you get stabbed and need a refill . Matic S is also less bitter so there is better drinkability, and contains more Molybdenum and is enriched with Calcium and Iron . I may be joking about that last part. I don't know if it has more Molybdenum. But dont take the blood or potability parts serious either. Its trans fluid people, not One-a-day alcohol free liquor.
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I had a question concerning this. I'm aware of this switch, but I came across a Nissan bulletin that seemed a little contradicting. It stated that if you ordered Matic J you would receive Matic S but not to worry bc Matic S can be used for Matic J applications. However, it then goes on to say " however in transfer cases you must use the type of fluid specified in the manual". Ok so I want to change the oil in my transfer case and order Matic J bc that's what the fsm calls for in a 2010 g37x, but then I'm sent Matic S bc they stop producing Matic J, which would be fine since Matic S can be used for Matic J applications, except for the transfer case which is what I'm trying to change, in which case I should use what the manual states, which is matic J, which I ordered, but received matic S instead. See the problem? it's a vicious circle. Anyway, all jokes and contradictions aside my only question/concern is: is it ok to use matic S in the transfer case if the manual originally calls for Matic J? Thank you in advance, i would really appreciate some feedback.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Matic J was phased out starting in 2009 when they changed to Matic S. The 2009+ owners manuals for the G37 all show utilizing Matic S (I just checked them). My '08 manual states Matic J since S had not been released. There is no issue with using Matic S.

bassfreak85
Car: 2012 G37 journey sedan

no offense but they have better lubs on the market..
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/t ... e=ATLQT-EA

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”