Master Cylinder "Recall"

All things Altima Coupe.
DJ_B_Easy
Car: 2017 GMC Sierra All Terrain X

Received this little love note in the mail today from Nissan.

I assume this does NOT apply to all model years, but Nissan IS acknowledging the fact that there are some faulty master cylinders out there. Though they are not calling it an all out recall, they will replace the master cylinder at no charge to you should you show symptoms. If you already paid for the repair out of warranty, they will reimburse you. Good to know, especially if you are now second owner of your Altima (noobs!). I for one had mine replaced under warranty about 2.5 years ago. Symptoms is just like it says, brake light on with no brake engaged.

PS to Mods: Im not sure if this is Altima Coupe specific or not. The letter only states "Altima". It might be a good idea to ghost this thread into Altima Gen Chat as well.

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

I'm sure Bex will have the official bulletin from Nissan here shortly. I will def keep an eye out.

DJ_B_Easy

Well thats just the thing, I dont think there is going to be an official bulletin because they arent really recalling anything. They are kind of saying if it happens, we will fix it, if it doesnt, keep your fingers crossed!

SHIFT_COUPE
Car: 2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD

I received this as well. I think they consider this a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) not a full blown recall.

I'm happy to say I haven't had an issue!

AlexM.
Car: 2010 2.5 Altima Coupe Super Black

I got one too. No issues and no lights coming on so far, luckily

DJ_B_Easy

Mine went bad right around 36K miles. The light was very intermitent, and seemed to come on more when the weather was cold.

Also, just so everyone knows this is close to an $800 fix (at least at my stealer it was). Nice to know they are covering it.

Mr.HacKeR
Car: 09 Altima Coupe 3.5

Nissan has changed the master cylinder along with the brake booster 2 days ago
Didn't get a warning light though..

mattyfo0z
Car: 2oo8 CVT - 3.5 SE

is the light they're talking about the one that just reads BRAKE in red on the lower half of the tachometer ? if so then I definitely fall under this problem. I've been wondering why that light comes on so often, I thought it was related to the wiring problem I have (check my other threads if interested).

DJ_B_Easy

Yes, the red light that reads "Brake" as if your emergency brake was on.

mattyfo0z

damn, looks like I fall under this recall then. i wonder if i should even take my car in to get it fixed before i fix the wiring problem, or replace my pads & rotors because i have a feeling they're gonna give me s*** for those things and say that i caused the problem :squint:

mattyfo0z

any way you could provide me with the paper without that sick a** watermark? i wanna take it into my dealership but last time i did, supposedly they didnt find the recall about the brakes squeeking prematurely. thanks

DJ_B_Easy

mattyfo0z wrote:sick a** watermark?
Haha! Be easy!

Unfortunately I dont have it anymore, I threw it away since I already had the cylinder replaced. You should be able to bring what I posted to them either way. Tell them you got it from the largest Nissan forum in the world, they will listen.

mattyfo0z

"replace my master cylinder, NICOCLUB SAID SO!"

hahah. they could scan my vin # and check for any recalls, correct ? maybe they'll do that.

DJ_B_Easy

Its not a recall. If your car is demonstrating the symptoms, they will address it. If it isnt, they wont.

KilLer_KenZz
Car: '09 A/C 2.5S

I have gotten this notification as well, but I don't feel it's a huge concern to me since I haven't had any problems...yet. I may just tuck this paper away for future use, just in case. Good to know they realize sometimes things break :yesnod I've thought about giving them a ring and seeing if I can convince them to look at my system anyway, though. Think they'll bite?

DJ_B_Easy

^Nope. The way I read it they wont touch a thing unless that light comes on.

J Russ
Car: 2016 Audi S5 - Many Mods

I got that notice a while back, but haven't connected it until now... I used to think that maybe my knee was knocking the e brake on, but I've now since realized that I do indeed have that problem. I better get that checked, its only when I accelerate pretty hard though?? is that normal??

mattyfo0z

so I went to the dealership yesterday, and ended up deciding not to get my car serviced at this time cuz the dude told me that the brake light also comes on / flashes if your brake pads are low (which mine are). then he went onto say that if they do check my master cylinder for the leak and there is none, if it ever happens in the future then i'm going to have to pay outta pocket.

so i'm just gonna wait until i get my brake pads & calipers in then see whats up.

AlexM.

I got my oil change on Saturday and my paperwork showed that my brake fluid was low. Today my brake light came on randomly on my drive to work. My pads might be low though so I'm hoping they still fix the cylinder issue and not chalk it up to the pads triggering the light. If it is the pads though then I guess that's not a bad thing either in terms of how serious the problem is. But I'd rather it be the cylinder so that I don't have to pay for anything (yet) lol

DJ_B_Easy

If fluid was noted as low, I'd bet you have a new MC in your near future.

Irvxing
Car: 2011 Altima Coupe 2.5s M/T

Had this issue not too long ago :facepalm:
BRAKE light would be lit while driving under any condition.
Light came off once my rear was smashed and i replaced my pads.
Going to keep a look out for this though.

mmkeller
Car: 2017 Maxima SR
2009 Murano SL

I got my notice about a month ago, keeping it in the car until the brake light comes on.

AlexM.

Turns out that it was indeed the MC vs my pads. I got my car back this afternoon and the lights don't come on anymore, nor do my brakes screech intermittently :)

DJ_B_Easy

Nice. Thats an $800 dealer fix otherwise, Im glad they are taking responsibility for it.

tomsteele01
Car: 08 Altima Coupe SE 3.5 / Racingline FSB/RSB/y-pipe/traction bars / Custom Exhaust / Eibach drop / AEM Intake

My brake light was coming on for a bit of time, usually during hard acceleration or hard turn. Took it in and it was the MC. They replaced it later in the week. This was about a month or so ago...Paper work only showed it as $300 some odd dollars. Service guy said it was the first coupe that they have seen to have the problem...

DJ_B_Easy

LOL, I guess that shows what a joke my local stealership is and why I dont go there anymore. $800 vs $300 is down right ridiculous. Id rather have the car out of commission for a few days and do the work myself than pay them.

AlexM.

What a price difference...

I may have spoken too soon about the screeching unfortunately. It's SO annoying. My next mod will def be new rotors.

DJ_B_Easy

^Do them yourself and save the money!

AlexM.

:yesnod I intend to

bdguy
Car: 2011 Altima

Thanks for this post.

2011 Altima sedan just hit 41k miles, Glendale Nissan did the recall no charge. Miller Nissan still has customer service issues, or at least, in talking to people who know what they're talking about.

The information here saved me some cash and a major headache. I got the letter also, had it inspected about two years ago, but the problem just developed this week. brake light coming on when going uphill and even the traction control light (I'm guessing its related...just got home)

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”