Massive wind noise when back windows are open !

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Trail-Seeker
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

Hi AllWe purchased our little Versa less than a week ago. When we roll down the back windows and go over 55 mph,, the whole car shakes,, and this terrible noise starts to happen. It is so loud and so bad,, that you can't stand it for more than a few seconds. I think it would be bad enough to cause ear damage. We tried to take it back,, but with no luck. We test drove the other new Versas on the lot,, and they did the same thing. Whats up? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks!

lain
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S

Usually when I have friends in the back and they roll down the window and the front windows are up it makes that noise...as do most cars. If I am thinking what you are talking about then just crack open the driver side window about 2 inches and you should be good. But ya back windows down front windows up usually doesn't work to well.

I don't know the exact physics to why this happens but I'm sure wiki knows.

hiimjered
Car: '08 SL CVT

My lexus rx300 suv does the same thing. I haven't had a reason to experience it in my versa, but it wouldn't surprise me.

bulld0g
Car: 2007 Versa SL " Bulld0g Edition "

you need to have the front windows down atleast an inch or so...to equalize the pressure....

faction
Car: Versa

I get that too. It about makes your eardrums explode.

Maybe I just have really sensitive eardrums, but this is one of the(very few) things that really disappoints me about the car. I like to drive with the back windows down, but it is too much of a (painful) hassle to keep adjusting all the windows to make it work and I still never get it right.

(if I move this one down an inch more, and this one up two inches....)

Red Devil
Car: 1990 240SX w/t SR20 and 08 Nissan Versa SL

or you could be not so picky and leave the windows up? It'll save you some gas by increasing your aero efficiency. They say anything over 45mph or so with the windows downs is less efficient than using A/C at the same speed.

Versa Madness
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S HB 6 spd

We experienced this for the first time on a family vacation last week. At first I thought that we had a blowout on a tire due to the throbbing noise until I figured out it was just the wind from the rear window being down. Never had anything like that with other vehicles.

feloniousmonk

lain wrote:...as do most cars... I don't know the exact physics.
As do most cars designed with little attention paid to aerodynamics or costly wind tunnel testing. This rarely happens with expensive luxury cars. It's called buffeting, which is a high-frequency instability, caused by airflow disconnection from the airfoil or shock wave oscillations.

Those window vent shades might help? but I'm not sure. Those of you who have them, care to chime in?

Althalus
Car: '07 Nissan Versa Hatch SL CVT

I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with the extra room in the back with the hatch. Lady I work with has the sedan and it doesn't make that noise.

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

Indeed, most cars these days do this. It is not unique to the Versa.

Any of you guys with those window deflectors, do they reduce some of this effect at higher speeds?

OKVersa
Car: Nissan Versa

Ours does the same thing. Living in Oklahoma, we never have our windows down anyway going over 35. In fact, we only let the windows down to let the built up heat to escape while blowing the A/C full blast or to let out that pesky mosquito.

fjwagner
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S et al

Versa Madness wrote:We experienced this for the first time on a family vacation last week. At first I thought that we had a blowout on a tire due to the throbbing noise until I figured out it was just the wind from the rear window being down. Never had anything like that with other vehicles.
any car I have had experience with from BMW's to Honda's to the Versa have this issue (actually not really an issue). In fact, I just did a search and saw many car forums with similar postings come up. Just roll down the front windows a little bit to equalize the air pressure and you are good to go.

shiryu0

i dont think ive driven a car that made this noise has loud as a Versa, you can get rid of it pretty simple, but the first time it did it when i drove it, it kinda scared me lololol

Trail-Seeker

Hi AllThanks for the replys,,, glad to know it wasn't just us! Not trying to be picky,,, I guess it is what it is. Guess you are right ,, we should keep the windows rolled up for better gas millage,, but then the AC is on . Besides, when you get a really great sunny day here in McMinnville, Oregon ,,, you have to seize the moment ! I would love to hear if anyone has used the little vents and if they help.Christy

#1Tango

Althalus wrote:I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with the extra room in the back with the hatch. Lady I work with has the sedan and it doesn't make that noise.
i rolled down my back windows in my sedan last night to see what happens. and yes there was a deafening noise, i also have window visors and it didn't make a difference with the window rolled down

feloniousmonk

Trail-Seeker wrote:Hi AllThanks for the replys,,, glad to know it wasn't just us! Not trying to be picky,,, I guess it is what it is. Guess you are right ,, we should keep the windows rolled up for better gas millage,, but then the AC is on . Besides, when you get a really great sunny day here in McMinnville, Oregon ,,, you have to seize the moment ! I would love to hear if anyone has used the little vents and if they help.Christy
Various tests, even Myth Busters, have shown that it's more efficient to run AC (windows up) than having the windows down. Sigh... I miss Oregon. McMinnville is a nice town.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

feloniousmonk wrote:
Various tests, even Myth Busters, have shown that it's more efficient to run AC (windows up) than having the windows down. Sigh... I miss Oregon. McMinnville is a nice town.
Myth busters is an entertaining show, but FAR from scientific. Every car is different. No two people are not on fire.

I don't like driving with my windows up. Even in the winter sometimes I'll crank up the heater and roll down the windows. I rarely want A/C on, but I almost always want the windows down. They're not entirely interchangeable. A/C is temperature management. Windows down simply opens the cabin of the car to the outside.

Cavitation (the issue at hand) is not something you can really "engineer" out of a car. It's not a "cheap car" or "poorly engineered car" issue. It's very dynamic, and subject to a LOT of variables. You can tune out cavitation at one set of variables, but it'll be there at another. Depending on the speed of the vehicle, which windows are down, how far they are open, how they open, whether you have climate control operating, etc. it will happen or not happen to varying degrees. And that's not even considering the design of the b-pillar, roofline, rear interior volume/shape, etc.

The best way to eliminate cavitation is to provide airflow THROUGH the cabin. Cavitation happens when inside and outside pressure tries to equalize but can't. If you provide through-flow, pressure is able to equalize so the problem doesn't occur. Even just cracking your sunroof or front windows can often help.

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

I've had that particulr noise problem in almost every car I've driven. It's just become habit now to run the fan with the windows up, even if the a/c isn't on. If the kids want the rear windows down, we lower the front windows, too.

As a rule I don't run the car much with the drivers' window down just because I have a bad habit of resting my arm on top of the door, elbow hanging out. Between sunburn/windburn drying and cracking the skin and having occasional bugs hit me I just keep the windows up. There's nothing like having a bee nail your arm at 70 mph on the freeway with a lot of other cars around.

I don't tilt the sunroof at freeway speeds because of the noise, but it's always tilted up to be able to hear emergency vehicles approaching on surface streets. The sound-proofing of cars has gotten to the point of substituting safety for comfort.

Trail-Seeker

srellim234 wrote:I've had that particulr noise problem in almost every car I've driven. It's just become habit now to run the fan with the windows up, even if the a/c isn't on. If the kids want the rear windows down, we lower the front windows, too.

As a rule I don't run the car much with the drivers' window down just because I have a bad habit of resting my arm on top of the door, elbow hanging out. Between sunburn/windburn drying and cracking the skin and having occasional bugs hit me I just keep the windows up. There's nothing like having a bee nail your arm at 70 mph on the freeway with a lot of other cars around.

I don't tilt the sunroof at freeway speeds because of the noise, but it's always tilted up to be able to hear emergency vehicles approaching on surface streets. The sound-proofing of cars has gotten to the point of substituting safety for comfort.
I

Heh Heh,,, Loved your post. I love the windows down,,, but often leave only the back down so I can hear the music,, cell phone,,, while drowning out the fighting little boys in the back seat at the same time. Kidding,,, mostly.

I too have to flap my arm out if available,, and have been blasted by many a bugs guts. And get the lobsided farmer tan,,, but sometimes it is just worth it,, because I keep on doing it year after year! Maybe it is because we don't get too many days that are window down worthy here in McMinnville. It is either raining,, hotter than hell,, hailing,, sleeting,, ... heck you never know! So we all go a little bonkers when it is just beautiful out.

Darn,, we don't have the sunroof on ours.

I do appreciate all the feedback. Have gotten a kick out of some of these posts. The info is great,, and I am glad that it is nothing major. Thanks !Christy

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

I'd love to run with the sunroof wide open all the time but there's this little thing called balding. The top of my head would get fried.

monkeybizzer

My "Little Blue" does it too. Scared us the first time it happened. But I usually like the ride with only the back windows down. So what I do is crack the passenger side window and it takes care of the problem. We figured it did it because of the size of the back windows.

dauphine
Car: 2007 Versa SL/Red Alert

Mine does the same thing, and it scared the heck out of all of us the first time it happened. I've never had a car do that so I wondered what was going on. Glad to know it's not just us.

bigdog
Car: 2007 versa s 2007 xterra 1982 dodge truck

well you most definatly have to roll the fronts down to equal out the pressure in the car. It definatly quiets down the car & you get nice breeze

faction
Car: Versa

you guys are all men aren't you?

because when you lower the front windows with the back windows, if you have hair longer than 3 inches, it flies all over the place. if you can just keep the back windows down, it isn't so bad.

and lowering the front windows a little doesn't work all that great anyway when you are going 65.

and it isn't being picky--it's liking to breath fresh air vs. recycled air. I don't like to run the AC in my house either-I have to, or my husband would divorce me, but I whine about it as much as possible.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Yes. I shave or at least buzz my head. No hair. Muhahahaha. Tip: ponytail. They're attractive and solve the flying hair problem.

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

Guilty, but with longer hair. However, I find if I open both on one side about 1/3 to 1/2 way then I get fairly quiet, even airflow. If they're on the right side I get a nice breeze around the back, but not enough to blow my hair around. If I lower the two on the left side, instead, my hair doesn't fly at all, but I also don't get as direct a breeze. (All at 60-80mph. Above 90 degrees I break down and put on the air conditioner...)

kev410
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Trail-Seeker wrote:Hi AllWe purchased our little Versa less than a week ago. When we roll down the back windows and go over 55 mph,, the whole car shakes,, and this terrible noise starts to happen. It is so loud and so bad,, that you can't stand it for more than a few seconds. I think it would be bad enough to cause ear damage. We tried to take it back,, but with no luck. We test drove the other new Versas on the lot,, and they did the same thing. Whats up? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks!
Well I just have had my Rogue a week, and have discovered the back window wind syndrome. Never thought to open the back windows in testing cars. It is not just a wind noise, it creates some sonic pulse frequency that does physically hurt your eardrums and give you a headache. It is so bad I thought my back tires had when flat and pulled over to check.

My noise occurs just over 40mph with either or both rear windows completely down. It stops if windows are only down 2 inches. When windows in rear are down and this occurs...by opening moonroof or front windows lessens it considerably as I think it changes the air flow dynamics that create this "wind pulse monster"

I called the Nissan Customer Service number for North America at the suggestion of the dealers service dept manager. He knew exactly what I was talking about and said it happens in some of there other cars, but does not know the physical reason.

Nissan Customer Service noted problem but said they had not had other complaints. So for all of you that are as annoyed at this as I am and want a fix.... call 1-800-NISSAN1 which is North American Nissan CS Hotline.

Power of the people!! Please call.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

kev410 wrote:
Well I just have had my Rogue a week, and have discovered the back window wind syndrome. Never thought to open the back windows in testing cars. It is not just a wind noise, it creates some sonic pulse frequency that does physically hurt your eardrums and give you a headache. It is so bad I thought my back tires had when flat and pulled over to check.

My noise occurs just over 40mph with either or both rear windows completely down. It stops if windows are only down 2 inches. When windows in rear are down and this occurs...by opening moonroof or front windows lessens it considerably as I think it changes the air flow dynamics that create this "wind pulse monster"

I called the Nissan Customer Service number for North America at the suggestion of the dealers service dept manager. He knew exactly what I was talking about and said it happens in some of there other cars, but does not know the physical reason.

Nissan Customer Service noted problem but said they had not had other complaints. So for all of you that are as annoyed at this as I am and want a fix.... call 1-800-NISSAN1 which is North American Nissan CS Hotline.

Power of the people!! Please call.
It happens on all 4 door cars. As I'm sure is mentioned in this thread.

When you blow over the top of a empty bottle the noise is the same thing that is happening with a car on a smaller scale. Need to at least crack the front windows to adjust the pressure.

Vahagn23
Car: NIssan Versa S

Yes i got this too, what i do is open the front driver or passengers window just a little bit and the noise and everything else goes away. Also try putting on window visors on them if you havent done it. It helps

DrivingHabit
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa SL

As a safety issue to stay awake you should always crack your window a little down if feeling drowsy.

Return to “Versa General Chat”