Mass Air Flow Sensor Special removal tool

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
kingbingy
Car: 2001 QX4

Does anyone know where I can find this tool? Trying to removed the MAF to clean it and it seems to have a Torque wrench, but not a Hex torque. For lack of a better word, it seems to be some sort of Pentagon (penta) as it has 5 sides with a tiny post in the middle. Normal hex or Allen wrench does not work.

I left two messages at my local dealer and no call back.

This is a pic of the screw ( I know that this is not for a QX4, but best pic I can find right now)http://www.mpgautoparts.com/pr...cat=7

kingbingy

Ouch, I think i found something.

http://www.keenzo.com/showprod...ef=GB

Don't need the whole set tho. Trying to find it now it now as single, but first need the size first.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Looks like a standard Torx screw to me, but I could be wrong.

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

yup thats torx they should have it most anywhere that sells any kind of tools (even wal-mart)

i dont know if the nissan one has the point in the middle like that VW one you have shown, but if it does, you need to find a torx with a hollow center...... i dont think the nissan one has the point in the middle tho

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

T20 Torx fits my '01 PF.

And it definitely has six points.

kingbingy

Unfortunately you are wrong. As previously mentioned, I tried a Torx wrench which is 6 points. These have 5 points. You can see them here. And yes, my QX4 has a 5 point with the center post.

http://www.northerntool.com/we...09101
Modified by kingbingy at 5:22 PM 3/19/2009

kingbingy

I made a little comparison chart.
Modified by kingbingy at 3:49 PM 3/24/2009

fueler

wow you are right. You see, i have removed the maf as the whole assembly (with the shield too, when i was installing my intake) but i have not actually removed the maf from its casing (as if to replace the maf sensor itself)

taken from a BMW board: OK, but the answer may really be that they are 5point tamper proof, called "security Plus"... torx security is 6point with a pin in the center. Security PLUS is 5 point with a pin. Not all MAFs used the 5pt, some used 6... I'm with Ard. I used thin nosed pliers to grip the security torx screw and twist it out, then replaced them with phillips head screws. another option if you have a Dremel tool, is to use the cut off wheel attachement to cut a slot in the screw so a small flatblade screwdriver can remove the screws.

http://www.tdiparts.com/catalo...2bbe9 Good luck!

kingbingy

Yeah, I just wish I knew the size. I may (once I remove them) put just normal screws. Depending how they get removed. If I buy a kit, then yes I will keep it. But need to find out which size it is.

K03sport
Car: 04 Pathfinder. My first Nissan was a '72 Datsun 510 Wagon.

The pin in the middle is the "tamper proof" head design. My Leatherman has them too. You will need the tamper proof bits to remove your MAF. They usually come in a set, so buying the set should cover it, but the set is kinda pricey.

Here is an example -- http://www.monstronix.com/kla4....html. $47.

Here's a better price ($20) -- http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-9795

fueler

i just checked and mines held in with phillips. haha!

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

fueler wrote:i just checked and mines held in with phillips. haha!
So's mine. (02 Pathy.) LOL

InfinQX4
Car: 2000 QX4

Thought you could get the 5-point tamper proof at Home Depot, Sears or the like.

EDIT - Autozone, Checker may also carry. Found a site that has a set for $20: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-9795
Modified by InfinQX4 at 11:19 PM 3/19/2009

kingbingy

Yeah, I've found a bunch of sets around the $20 mark. But I was just wonder if anyone with a QX4 has taken theirs out and if so, knew the exact Torx size, so I didn't have to buy the whole set.

catsnet

I bought the set off E-bayJust search for "security bit set" their are hundreds of them within $10 range.I don't remember the one I've used for MAF but having this set was not such a bad idea - they come handy time - to - time

hospitalbuilder
Car: 1999 Infiniti QX4

I cleaned my MAF a few weeks ago, and did not remove the actual sensor. I think I saw somewhere that you actually do not want to remove the sensor, as it is particularly delicate and you should not touch it, with anything other than the cleaner. I simply removed the entire shield from the intake and sprayed MAF cleaner in on both sides, and let it dry. Clean as a whistle, and solved my idling problems.

kingbingy

That is correct, you don't want to touch the sensor. But all I have read it is better to remove the sensor to clean it better. Just need to be careful.

As for the tool itself, I have been looking on ebay as well. Just wanted to see if anyone knew the exact size.

Fisherdude
Car: 1996 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 SE

I've done some work with my intake by puttin a k&n cold air in it and does the Mass Airflow Sensor mess up a lot?? idk if i should look into that

fueler

Fisherdude wrote:I've done some work with my intake by puttin a k&n cold air in it and does the Mass Airflow Sensor mess up a lot?? idk if i should look into that
K&N air filter is an oiled air filter, and the oil comes off and some of it can get on the MAF sensor, so it'll probably need a cleaning maybe once a year (or whenever you clean your K&N)

You'll know if its causing problems....

kingbingy

What I have read, is that by putting an after Market filter, it can cause the MAF, to get gunked up. As the after market filters has an oil residue on it and that residue gets stuck on the maf and can throw off the sensor. I've always used K&N and never had problems (on other cars) but it seems (from what I have read) that these sensors are very fragile. So if you start having issues, just clean it off.

tbsbiker2
Car: 2001 SE Pathfinder

I took mine out with a modified junky screw driver and pair of vice grips (which really didn't damage them at all anyway) then replaced them with Phillips screws for less troublesome removal later on.

Peter

K03sport
Car: 04 Pathfinder. My first Nissan was a '72 Datsun 510 Wagon.

Fisherdude wrote:I've done some work with my intake by puttin a k&n cold air in it and does the Mass Airflow Sensor mess up a lot?? idk if i should look into that
The MAF is a series of really thin wires, so yes it it delicate. Lots of people (in the VW) community have experienced problems with K&N filters or any oiled filters because the some of the oil will get wisked away by the intake air and stick to the MAF. Over time, this will cause the MAF to start sending incorrect readings and eventually lead to a CEL/MIL or what ever it is called.

A reuseable filter is nice and all, but you really have to watch it after you clean it and re-oil it so that you don't oversaturate it with oil. This oversaturation will lead to premature MAF failure.

Obviously a clean MAF wil get you the best performance. Also, there is special MAF cleaner on the market. You DON"T want to use carb cleaner or anything that will leave a residue.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”